Reasons we sold Prior Excals ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Re: Reasons we sold Prior Excals ?

Post by IronNoggin »

Picked up my first some time ago - Ducks Unlimited version of the Ibex.
Was a great bow, brought me back into pointy stick hunting after a dreaded absence of many years. Had fun, and tagged a handful of deer with it.

Then a Member here wanted it for his Lad, and offered to trade me for an ExoMax. Bigger, More Power, Better (imho).
Indeed we traded and he informs me his Young Gun still shoots & loves the Ibex!

Hunted a few years with the big Exo. Powerhouse Thumper I thought then, and rightfully so! Very accurate, and managed to put even more deer on the ground with it...

Then Excalibur introduced the Matrix 380... :shock:
Drooled over the pictures, tried desperately to tell myself I didn't "need" one, then promptly ordered one direct from the first issue! :lol:
The Exo went to a close hunting buddy (giving me another bow hunting partner) for a good price, and helped fund the 380...

The 380 has proven itself to be All That over and over and over for me.
Incredibly Accurate, Damn Tough, and Loads of Power. Taken a good handful of critters with it now.
I really don't think I'll ever let go of this one...

Unless they come up with a Micro 500 that has a draw weight I can manage with the rope cocker... :lol:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Bought my Equinox in 2010 and i have never thought of selling her
she has served me well, and i'm the kind of guy that hangs on to things.
hell,I still have my first pair of shoes, :shock:
Don't plan on getting anything new, cause I don't need it......
if it ain't broke don't fix it.
and since Danny fixed her, she ain't broke any more. :D

Dave :D

P.S.
didn't know you was selling one of you're vixens mike ,
I might of been interested in one of them though, :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well, sold the Ibex to get a Vortex, then got the 355 Matrix, sold the Vortex to get a Micro 335 which i sold to get a 330 Matrix to simplify my arrow box down to one length, then added to that another Recurve Crossbow from another manufacturer. I think I'm done for a spell! :wink:
Well, maybe just one more! :lol: :lol: 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup jus one more then anudder, its abit tuff on me now to rope cock the Micro more than 10 times fer practice. I am hopin Awshucks will show up prior to me havin to buy anudder Excal that i can rope cock n shoot 20-30 times durin a session. My nasty tree fight happened one week back 2 yrs ago, what a bummer that was.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

papabear1 wrote:Bought my Equinox in 2010 and i have never thought of selling her

P.S.
Are you my long lost twin brother, Dave? You just described me to a T. Right down to the Equinox and wearing old shoes when you have new ones. I still have and use the same Parker Hale .303 that I bought from my Dad when I was 16. Both the Equinox and the rifle are like old best friends that I couldn't bear to part with. I've tried other bows and rifles, but always come back to Beauty and the "Beast". 8)
Hank
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have had a Brand New Matrix 330 and a "Like New" Axiom SMF which I have sold or traded to acquire the the 3 great models now in my stable of Excaliburs. I have no plans to add any others. :wink:

:oops: However, I must admit I'm waiting to see how the new model Micro 355 works out after a year or two in the field ? :lol:

That list could be subject to change down the road if it proves as reliable as I hope it will be... (that, and if I can pull that weight without a crank having a couple more years of age on me by then ? ) :roll:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

hankenhunter wrote:
papabear1 wrote:Bought my Equinox in 2010 and i have never thought of selling her

P.S.
Are you my long lost twin brother, Dave? You just described me to a T. Right down to the Equinox and wearing old shoes when you have new ones. I still have and use the same Parker Hale .303 that I bought from my Dad when I was 16. Both the Equinox and the rifle are like old best friends that I couldn't bear to part with. I've tried other bows and rifles, but always come back to Beauty and the "Beast". 8)
Hank
:roll: :roll: Well that depends Hank ! 8)
how old are ya,
and would ya be putting me in you're WILL. :lol: :lol:

Dave :wink:
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

paulaboutform wrote:I don't know about better. I really think that M380 is about the perfect all around bo. But, aadding the micro 355 will give me something from each generation. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! :wink:

Paul
I can't argue with fact's,, not about,,, there is no doubt that 380 is perfect,,,, :)

I can justify having 2 because I do hunt in full foliage and in the dead of winter,, Lynx and Mad Max,,, I have had every model come and go,,, except the 315 and 355 Micro,,, but sold the 335 because 435 to 500 grain arrows were to slow in it,, and will not own another bow that has a heavier draw weight,, so I see no reason to try the new ones. I add a custom 350 because it would hit my sweet spot with 400+ grain arrows,,, I like staying between 325 and 375 fps,, the 380 and 355 are both dead in my sweet spot, and like you said the 380 is perfectly centered! I shoot 435 grain arrows at 352 fps and 542 grain at 325 fps,,,

How can you ask for more? But I am sure in time that little devil in the back of my head will work on me,,, and it seems no matter how I have to exaggerate it, I'll justify a reason for dumping one and adding something else... Seems like the only constant in this old mans cave is,,,,,,, Jeannine, and I have proven the for over 40 years that to be fact,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

wildcatter wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:I don't know about better. I really think that M380 is about the perfect all around bo. But, aadding the micro 355 will give me something from each generation. That's my story and I'm stickin to it! :wink:

Paul
I can't argue with fact's,, not about,,, there is no doubt that 380 is perfect,,,, :)

I can justify having 2 because I do hunt in full foliage and in the dead of winter,, Lynx and Mad Max,,, I have had every model come and go,,, except the 315 and 355 Micro,,, but sold the 335 because 435 to 500 grain arrows were to slow in it,, and will not own another bow that has a heavier draw weight,, so I see no reason to try the new ones. I add a custom 350 because it would hit my sweet spot with 400+ grain arrows,,, I like staying between 325 and 375 fps,, the 380 and 355 are both dead in my sweet spot, and like you said the 380 is perfectly centered! I shoot 435 grain arrows at 352 fps and 542 grain at 325 fps,,,

How can you ask for more? But I am sure in time that little devil in the back of my head will work on me,,, and it seems no matter how I have to exaggerate it, I'll justify a reason for dumping one and adding something else... Seems like the only constant in this old mans cave is,,,,,,, Jeannine, and I have proven the for over 40 years that to be fact,,,, :wink:
....bows come and go but beau's don't if they're perfect I guess! :wink:

Anthony
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I might have found the perfect trifecta with the 3 I have now....I know how happy I have been with the 380 and the 335....it's the BD400 which will have some provin to do! :wink:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
edstuff

Post by edstuff »

Sold my cub because I really needed the money. Soon after got a raise at work. Go figure. If I could find another one cheap I might buy it again.
RobD

Post by RobD »

Had the Axiom, sold it to pay for the Matrix 330. Sold the Matrix 330 to pay for the Matrix 355. I'm happy now, except these Micro 355 bows look nice. Ooops, I got distracted by the upgrade bug again.

Anyway, now I need a Vixen II or a Cub so my kids will stop borrowing my 355 at the time when I want to be out in the blind.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

If I ever get another one it will be a vixen on a Matrix or other thumb-hole stock.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Rn,
Looking at draw length specs, it appears a set of long limbs on a 380 rail and stock would get very close ( 13.1 " ) to the draw length of a Vixen II (13.5" ) ,,,,, I'm thinking a discontinued 405 rail and stock would be even closer ? But, I'm not sure of a 405's draw lenght as they are no longer listed and I don't have one to measure ? Nor am I sure the long limbs would fit a matrix riser?

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Rn,
Looking at draw length specs, it appears a set of long limbs on a 380 rail and stock would get very close ( 13.1 " ) to the draw length of a Vixen II (13.5" ) ,,,,, I'm thinking a discontinued 405 rail and stock would be even closer ? But, I'm not sure of a 405's draw lenght as they are no longer listed and I don't have one to measure ? Nor am I sure the long limbs would fit a matrix riser?

Gene
405= 13.87"
380=13.1"
VixenII= 13.5". ( makes a 392.5 w/ Matrix front end) :D
The older Vixens were 14" I think, before the forward riser
Last edited by flightattendant100 on Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.