Thoughts on a Cub ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sparkey

Thoughts on a Cub ?

Post by Sparkey »

I am looking at adding a backup bow to the stable. Will either be a Micro 315 or a Matrix Cub.

Bow only Micro 315 is $625.00
Bow only Matrix Cub is $380.00

I am torn as I like the narrow width of the 315, but the Cub would be an easy shooter.... Opinions requested! :lol:

Sparkey
Parker Challenger
Gen-1 Micro 335 Camo
Matrix Cub
Bear Legion Compound
Boo

Re: Thoughts on a Cub ?

Post by Boo »

I would suggest something like a Vortex. Very reliable, easy to cock, still fast and should be found at a very reasonable price.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Real good advice there.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Dont leave out the vixen or axiom and ibex . The smf axioms r cheap used .on amazon you can still find new axioms. 305 fps is pleanty fast.the vixens a tad wide but i have o troubles in the blind
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I had a modified Vixen 2,,it was an accurate bow and I liked it,but after awhile I decided I wanted something a bit lighter and narrower...I decided on the Cub.I installed a trigger tech and and upgraded Flemish Grizzly spec string,,I also played a bit with arrow length and weight.I am glad I made the move and it didn't cost a lot in comparison to other Excal models.Its easy to load,,its light..and it packs plenty of power and its very accurate,Its my opinion that there are more potential problems with the high poundage bows,,especially if you shoot a lot. I don't shoot a lot,,most of my shooting is pre-season here in Wisconsin where I make sure I am dialed in,,I have started to only shoot what I hunt with as far as my arrows are concerned,,I shoot only with the broadhead and lumenocs,,
Good luck!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

Any used exo bow would make a great back up, in fact I'll go as far to say they're the best deal on a crossbow right now. I've seen them go for under 300 bucks.
If you hunt from a blind, or have some youngsters ready for their first hunt the cub may be your best option
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

My first Xbox is a cub, just bought it this past year and love it. Great shooting bow at a great price.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have no experience with either model you listed as possibilities.

However, I do have some with the Axiom SMF and it's a great model that is easy to draw and can be shot all day long. It was one of the most accurate Excals. I have ever owned or shot and it's speed is right with the bows your looking at. Cost is usually a bit lower especially if bought "used".

But then, neither would a rule out a good deal on a gently used Grizley or a 310 Matrix.... Should my funds ever allow either of the later would be a great addition to the harder drawing models I currently own.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Fullquiver

Post by Fullquiver »

I bought a Cub last fall set it up with a matrix length string and killed a couple of deer with it without issue one. I sold an Axiom to be able to buy the cub and have no regrets in doing so.. I feel very comfortable with the reliability of my Cub and have no qualms about it being my only bow...
A society grows great when old men plant trees in whose shade they shall never sit.