New Member W/ Basic Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: New Member W/ Basic Questions

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum Ken. :D A lot of great advice. Personally, I use Dalton's string wax on my string and serving (sparingly) when it starts looking fuzzy. I rub it in vigorously until wet looking then wipe off any excess. I no longer lube my rail as I've found it causes premature separation of the serving. I spray a small amount of silicone spray lube onto a microfiber cloth to clean the rail only when it starts looking excessively dirty. Once the dirt is removed I use a clean microfiber cloth to wipe away any residue of the silicone off the rail. That's just my routine. You'll wade through all the suggestions and figure out for yourself what works. Again, welcome.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum & congrats on your nod...AKA " the beast " !!! :D :)
I use Dalton's wax sparingly on my string and serving. For broad heads I shoot spitfires with one dental band on them for insurance. :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
PastorSlaughter

Post by PastorSlaughter »

Hank, I have a few 125 grain Swhackers that I was thinking about using. But those are really for the kids that I teach to hunt. Most of my other BHs are 100 gr. For my compound. I want to shoot mechanicals because I hunt in suburban areas and the deer need to die before they cross a property line. I have 3 bolt cutters but don't know when I will use them if ever. Maybe I could work up a trade with someone. I have 2 dozen arrows that need to be fletched. I'll need to buy either a jig or quick-fletches. I haven't weighed any of them yet. I've got to get busy!
Equinox
150 gr. Boltcutters & Swhackers
Aero Hunter Kestrel
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Lots of great advise here, but I would also recommend you get a string changing and adjusting device to allow you to make adjustments to brace height as it's very important and stretch WILL occure.... especially following a string change to a "New", not "shot in string".

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
SEW

Post by SEW »

You'll notice a lot of us have the newer generation of Excalibur xbows (Matrix and Micros). However, don't be concerned about needing to upgrade to have better. I routinely shoot a Vortex and an Equinox and am awed at their accuracy even with stock arrows and points (Diablos & Boltcutters). Consider your bow as vintage or classic but not outdated. It's not.
PastorSlaughter

Yeah, being a pastor, with a pastor's income, I understood long ago that I'm not going to have the newest and best of many things and I'm okay with that. I just give everybody else a few years to test out stuff for me and when it drops into my price range on the resale market, I'm excited to get it. I kinda like vintage/classic things anyway. If I came into lots of money I'm not sure anybody would notice because I wouldn't make many changes. Although I'd probably pay someone else to do the drywall in the bathroom that I have to do if I ever stop writing this post... and the brake job on my truck after that!

My Equinox was bought new last season by the original owner. He says he shot it less than 100 times. It looks perfect and is soooo much better than my other 2 crossbows! I'm pumped! I love hunting with my compound, but I'm excited to give this crossbow a try in the woods. I justify having multiple crossbows by the fact that I teach kids how to hunt. I was with 3 different kids last season when they shot deer with crossbows. Plus I got 5 of my own :D

I weighed some arrows and heads last night and hopefully I can do a little target practice today or tomorrow. I'm going to try 125 gr. Rage 2 blades on bolts that weigh a total of 406-408 gr. That's about 25 grains lighter than the previous owner had been shooting. So I anticipate re-zeroing the scope at 20 yards to bring the POI down just a hair. AND HERE IS MY NEXT QUESTION... should I adjust the dial for arrow speed at all, or is that not really going to be a factor with such a small change. I don't have a chronograph... Could I do this: Get the POI dead-on at 20 yds and then walk back to 40 or 50 yds and use the speed compensation adjustment to get the POI matched up to the scope at that distance?
Equinox
Aero Hunter Kestrel
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Welcome to the forum,
I have had my beast, for 6 yrs. now,
and wax serving ( only) no problems.
just keep everything clean. :D

Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
SEW

Post by SEW »

Sight dead on at 20 yds with the main xhair (speed setting won't matter yet) and then try the 40 at whatever speed you think it's shooting, or in your case at a slightly lower speed (10-15'/sec) setting. When it's close to on, go to 60 yds with the 60 yd xhair and do your fine adjustment. Now all are set , 20-60.
PastorSlaughter

Bow season opened here in Ohio this past Saturday. Monday evening I arrowed a nice big doe with my Excalibur. It was a perfect quartering away double lung shot. Very happy with "The Beast". Thanks for all your help!
Equinox
Aero Hunter Kestrel
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Good job on breaking it in!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

PastorSlaughter wrote:Bow season opened here in Ohio this past Saturday. Monday evening I arrowed a nice big doe with my Excalibur. It was a perfect quartering away double lung shot. Very happy with "The Beast". Thanks for all your help!

......congratulations on your fine harvest....nice to see a man of the cloth enjoying God's Creation as it is written, "man has dominion over the animals!"

......Once you get Past-or Slaughter-ing :roll: of that fine doe there will be plenty of food to feed the masses! :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on your harvest !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gunboy203

Post by gunboy203 »

Congrats on your successful hunt...
PastorSlaughter

Thanks everybody. I am really loving my Excal. Yesterday morning, I took another mature doe. I was sitting on the ground with a leafy suit top on. 2 does came to eat the acorns that were falling from an nearby oak. I arrowed one of the does. Perfect heart shot.
Equinox
Aero Hunter Kestrel