New Member W/ Basic Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

PastorSlaughter

New Member W/ Basic Questions

Post by PastorSlaughter »

My name is Ken and I have successfully hunted deer with compound and crossbow for years. I just bought a Equinox and want to get started out right with it. I have read enough to be completely confused on the topics of serving string wax and rail lubricant. So I am seeking the wisdom of this forum. Should I use one kind of wax for the string and another for the serving that slides on the rail? Wax one and not the other, or neither? And should I lube the rail or not? If so, with what? I have made a total of 3 shots with my equinox so far and it is awesome!
Also, I live near Cincinnati. How do I make that (and other details and identifiers) show up on my posts?

I'm excited to be part of the Excalibur community!
Equinox
150 gr. Boltcutters & Swhackers
Aero Hunter Kestrel
PastorSlaughter

Re: New Member W/ Basic Questions

I just discovered the FAQs so I think I can figure all that out. But would still appreciate any advice on wax & lube. Thanks in advance!
Equinox
Aero Hunter Kestrel
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

The wax you use on your compound bows string will work fine, use very little rail lube so u don't gum up your trigger . Guys here use jiggaloo,daltons and some use nothing at all...
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
bubba

Post by bubba »

Wax & lube, Some use.. some don't. I myself use very little on my serving only. At least the wax that is, lube for the rail? for me never. Just keep it clean and smooth. I'm sure others will chime in with their preference, but you have made a great start with an Excalibur bow. And welcome to the forum....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Less is more. I use Dalton's wax on the serving IF it gets fuzzy because too much of it will gum up the trigger. For the rail, I clean it with a rag then I use a little Jigaloo on a microfibre towel. Crossbow rail lube attracts dirt which can make its way into the trigger and I have seen it speed up serving separation on an RDT crossbow with an acute string angle. I see no practical use for it.

Welcome to the forum.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits

Post by newbie »

racking up points wrote:Less is more. I use Dalton's wax on the serving IF it gets fuzzy because too much of it will gum up the trigger. For the rail, I clean it with a rag then I use a little Jigaloo on a microfibre towel. Crossbow rail lube attracts dirt which can make its way into the trigger and I have seen it speed up serving separation on an RDT crossbow with an acute string angle. I see no practical use for it.

Welcome to the forum.
I also am in Derricks camp on wax/rail lube. Lube has its place and on an Excalibur rail isnt one.
I only wax my strings when I serve or reserve them.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Daltons on the full length of the string and that is it for me.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Fletch2

Post by Fletch2 »

Welcome to the family :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

gerald strine wrote:Daltons on the full length of the string and that is it for me.

I also use Dalton's. Great wax!!! And only wipe rail down with wd-40 once and awhile. Great bow. Welcome!!;
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Great advice there, welcome aboard and congrats on the Old School Model. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

welcome,
The rails on the equinox can be either aluminum or camo. If you have the camo I would not recommend using any chemical spray on it. Some are safe but others may strip the paint

when it comes to rails, clean and naked is best. Strings it seems are do what ya feel like: some wax or none, just not lots. opinions vary. I do apply slight amt to whole string, serving and loops included every 100 shots or so.

A popular wax brand around here is Daltons.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome to the forum. I have the same flagship bow. :D
Hank
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

... I agree on the limited use of wax on the string only... I futher agree with the use of Dalton's wax.... Said wax can be purchased from Keith (nchunterkw on the forum).... A great guy!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
PastorSlaughter

Thanks guys! The fella I bought it from didn't lube the rail and I don't think I will either. It has the metal rails. And I'll be buying some Dalton's wax.

For hunting deer, I assume I'm okay with whatever arrow and broadhead I want as long as the total weight is over 350 and the mechanicals don't open prematurely. Right? I do have a scale. and I have quite an assortment of arrows and BH's.
Equinox
Aero Hunter Kestrel
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

PastorSlaughter wrote:Thanks guys! The fella I bought it from didn't lube the rail and I don't think I will either. It has the metal rails. And I'll be buying some Dalton's wax.

For hunting deer, I assume I'm okay with whatever arrow and broadhead I want as long as the total weight is over 350 and the mechanicals don't open prematurely. Right? I do have a scale. and I have quite an assortment of arrows and BH's.
Sounds like your good to go. What broad head/arrow combination are you going with if you don't mind me asking? By the way, I've found that the sweet spot for my Equinox is just over 400 grains. Happy shootin,
Hank