Shooting Through Ground Blind Screen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hi5

Shooting Through Ground Blind Screen

Post by Hi5 »

I just received my ground blind, and I look forward to using it this fall.

All my hunting experience has been with the working assumption that you do NOT have your projectile, be it a bullet, or an arrow, come in contact with ANYTHING before it reaches the target.

So, now I will be shooting through a screen. I'm not a penny-pincher, afraid to spend money to replace screens. I should be testing this for myself, and shooting through the screen. The concern is that I want intact screens to keep mosquitos at bay, and I wouldn't be willing to bet that replacement screens would arrive in time.

So, hopefully, I can benefit from others' experience.

SHOOTING THROUGH SCREEN:

Does it affect trajectory to a significant degree?

If it affects trajectory, how much difference would it likely make at say, 40 yards?

Is there significant sideways deflection if the arrow strikes the screen at anything less than 90 degrees to the screen?

If there is sideways deflection, what would be the minimum angle that would still be practical?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
paulaboutform

Re: Shooting Through Ground Blind Screen

Post by paulaboutform »

Years ago when I purchased my Double Bull blind I was assured by the manufacturer that there would be no change in poi weather using fixed or mechanical broadheads. I was sceptical and never tested it. My advice, just like shooting ANY broadheads would be to test your broadheads first at all ranges then test them at the same ranges shooting through the mesh.
Another alternative may be to use a Thermacell in your blind for the mosquitoes and don't shoot through the mesh. Some that can set up their blinds and leave them have spray painted their window flaps black so when they drop them for hunting the blind looks the same.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

get a therma cell for skiters
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

Thermocell for sure! I took a razor blade and cut a small cross hair in mine after testing the screen, it doesn't really affect your POI in my opinion, but it does make a little movement if you don't have it tied down tight inside the blind.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I never had the courage to risk a valuable shot i shoot w screen up
Last edited by longbow joe on Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm also in the no screen camp. Why risk it?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Thermocell all the way...
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Here's an article I found after I put up my post.

http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/tactics/sh ... lind-mesh/

Some of the issues that have been discussed in articles I found (subsequent to my post)

Vanes stiff or with aggressive offset
Narrow cut broadhead-narrower than vanes
Untuned bow - throwing arrow tilted through screen

So far I haven't read anything about loss of trajectory, or, not shooting at 90 degrees to the screen.
Heavvyduty

Post by Heavvyduty »

WoW I just posted about this myself.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have done extensive testing on this subject. All with Slick Tricks. The mesh does not affect POI at all. Shot from 10 to 50 yards, no difference. I went as far as to wet a screen and freeze it, still absolutly not even the slightest shift.
I was surprised at the results, I was expecting something, even a small change, but no. Now I have lots of holes in my screens, I use them to slip a rifle barrel out of. Most are perfect "x"s from the slicks.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

My experience is that I roll the careens down a bit and I have had no problem. This way it's not costing you money on replacement screens. Like the other guys said is use a thermocell.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
Mr.Whitetail

Post by Mr.Whitetail »

IMO...I always have the screen down for shooting. I don't chance it.
My buddy on the other hand has always preferred to hunt with the screens up but will only shoot a fixed broad head. He had issues with mechanicals shooting through the mesh screen but not with a fixed head.
Bow Hunter until the day I Die!!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:Years ago when I purchased my Double Bull blind I was assured by the manufacturer that there would be no change in poi weather using fixed or mechanical broadheads. I was sceptical and never tested it. My advice, just like shooting ANY broadheads would be to test your broadheads first at all ranges then test them at the same ranges shooting through the mesh.
Another alternative may be to use a Thermacell in your blind for the mosquitoes and don't shoot through the mesh. Some that can set up their blinds and leave them have spray painted their window flaps black so when they drop them for hunting the blind looks the same.

Paul
Yep! What my paisan said!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

On another site a poster mentioned that there seemed to be a small deflection with a badly tuned bow. That does make sense, if an arrow is passing through the screen, badly tilted.

Another mentioned that stiff vanes that were significantly larger than the broadhead, seemed also to affect flight after passing through screen.

Thanks, Pydpiper, for your insights. I was hoping that somebody with actual experience would respond.
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Always have had the same question in mind since I first bought my Blind with shot thru mesh.

But I also just have a hard time putting holes in the mesh. $$$$
I see the blind more so as a way to escape the elements more than a way to hide from view. for ( ie: rain, cold, bugs. sun ( light/heat), wind)

Now If replacements were easily available then I would have NO problem trying the screen thru shot.
But I have yet to see / find available replacements which makes only makes sense to me should be easy to purchase.!!!!!

So I open the mesh enough to be able to shoot at eye level. and close it in directions which are poor shoots percentages anyways.

Also when it comes to Sun reflecting off the Camo mesh I find it tends to make
it impossible to get a clear view especially at distance. Sunset being the worst.
So Therma Cell get the nod when bugs are excessive or a
Small Propane Heater when cold is an issue

CC