Nap Foc ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

excalxbowner

Nap Foc ?

Post by excalxbowner »

Anybody using the 170 grain NAP FOC bh with Diablo arrows? I have a Matrix 355 that came with four Diablo arrows. I will eventually get some BEE arrows. thanks in advance :)
Matrix 355
Diablo bolts
150 grain Slick Tricks
Boltcutter BH
racking up points

Re: Nap Foc ?

Post by racking up points »

It's a great head, i made the switch last year and I'm sold. The FOCs come with three 170gn field points for practice but you might want to get more than just 3, the added 20gn over what you're shooting now could make some impact on our POI at extended range. You'll also want to buy some dental bands, I use 2 per BH.

As for your arrows, the way I see it, you're trying to push a 3" wedge right through a deer and you're giving up energy to deploy those massive blades. What I'm getting at is I personally wouldn't count on those diablos being strong enough for that task because I have seen them break very easily...skip the BEEs and get into some Zombies or Spynal Tapps because they are stiffer spined.

I will shoot a 395gn arrow tipped with an FOC BH out of my MicroMax 360 this year, and I wouldn't take anything less than a good broadside or quartering away shot, under 40y with that particular head, at that velocity. But that's just me.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
excalxbowner

Post by excalxbowner »

Thanks,RuPoints. Do you you have to use the dental bands to keep the FOC from opening up too soon? Has the FOC made finding your bolts a little easier after a pass-through shot? Last year i shot a doe with my 355 and the bolt ended up stuck in a tree root four inches below the ground. I gave up on trying to get the Slick Trick out of the root. I'd feel a better about still hunting with an xbow if i know my bolt won't end up in another county. i share some of the public land i hunt with people out Hiking, mountain biking and shroom hunting.
Matrix 355
Diablo bolts
150 grain Slick Tricks
Boltcutter BH
Normous

Post by Normous »

The NAP FOC has been my broadhead of choice for the last 4 deer (and bear) seasons. In my experience using the FOC my game recovery is under 40 yards.

However, I was never able to find my FOC tipped arrow after shooting (3) deer at ground level using my Matrix 380 or 405, even when equipped with Lumenoks. We looked and looked but the arrow just continued on its way in the dense forest never to be recovered.

The FOC's shot from a tree stand angle were recovered, cleaned, blades and clips replaced and reused again.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....does anyone have a recipe using the FOCs, lumenok and zombies from a BD400....I would like to give the FOCs a shot this year...I have both 92 and 110 g inserts...

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Anthony, swap out your brass inserts for aluminum and you are GTG.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Normous wrote:Anthony, swap out your brass inserts for aluminum and you are GTG.

....good to know...seems like an easy swap out...thanks Norm! :wink:

18 or 20 inches on the Zombies?
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

Matrix 355
Boo Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....ordered 2 packs of the FOCs for Fulmine Grande...gonna give them a try this year!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
SEW

Post by SEW »

My recipe, which has worked well: 18" Zombie, flat plastic nock, 26g AL insert, offset of helical Blazers (SK300 slightly better), FOC ~398gs. This year I have a set of 18" Factory Fletched Spynal Tapps (3" offset vanes - plastic flat nock) but with the change to 50g AL inserts. They are close to the accuracy of the custom arrows. I have a # of the custom Zombies and Spynal Tapps and 3 xbows. One or 2 of the xbows will use the STs.
FOCs have consistently performed very well for me. I'm normally gutting w/I 5 minutes of the shot. $34 a pack on Amazon.
Incidentally, the Diablos work very well with the Boltcutters and should work very well with the 150g STs also. Get the FOCs!