ram cats vs QAD Exodus

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Carnivorous

ram cats vs QAD Exodus

Post by Carnivorous »

This season I decided to go with a fixed head to use with the Micro 315.

I bought a pack of ram cats and exodus heads to try out.

I had a long shooting session with both heads this weekend.

Accuracy.
Both heads had excellent accuracy and same as my field points. No clear winner here.

Blades.
Ram cats have a 1/8" advantage. Both heads are razor sharp out of the pack. The ramcat blades need to be RE tightened with an Allen key after each shot in the target. Both heads retained the sharp edge after shooting them multiple times.

Durability.
Exodus is the clear winner here. Solid .40" thick non rotating blades.

Penetration.
Equal in to my 18-1 target.

Country of origin.
Exodus USA.
Ram cat Taiwan.

Both heads are great and will get the job done with proper shot placement. I wouldn't hesitate to use either one of them.

I will be using the exodus heads first for hunting. They just seem more solid and fit in my quiver better. However the ram cats will be a good back up if I ever need them.

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.

Re: ram cats vs QAD Exodus

Post by newbie »

Thanks for the write up Jeff.... as i also have both heads. Gaston swears by the Exodus its all he uses.
I do think they are built like a tank.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Thanks for the info Jeff. Both heads have great reviews but I've only shot the QAD Exodus Broadheads at the range and also found them to shoot same as field points. The dealer in Fraser Lakes, B.C. says they're his most popular head and the toughest he's used. What distance did you test them to?

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

paulaboutform wrote:Thanks for the info Jeff. Both heads have great reviews but I've only shot the QAD Exodus Broadheads at the range and also found them to shoot same as field points. The dealer in Fraser Lakes, B.C. says they're his most popular head and the toughest he's used. What distance did you test them to?

Paul
Hi Paul

I only did a 20 to 30 yard session. I have my single aim point scope on my bow Now so I am concentrating on tree stand to bait distance.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:Thanks for the info Jeff. Both heads have great reviews but I've only shot the QAD Exodus Broadheads at the range and also found them to shoot same as field points. The dealer in Fraser Lakes, B.C. says they're his most popular head and the toughest he's used. What distance did you test them to?

Paul
Hi Paul

I only did a 20 to 30 yard session. I have my single aim point scope on my bow Now so I am concentrating on tree stand to bait distance.
I'm anxious to hear your results. I've heard that, like the slick tricks, that little exodus makes a far bigger hole than it has any business making. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'll be interested in what you see as well. I also wish the Ramcat blades were thicker, but I had no trouble on my bison. I really like the cupped out ferrule design.

Which QAD Exodus do you have? I think the "swept" one may qualify as a barbed head. No doubt why they have the full blade version as well. Ramcat gets around this by allowing the blades to rotate fwd. Check the hunting regs where you are Re "barbed" heads
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

nchunterkw wrote:I'll be interested in what you see as well. I also wish the Ramcat blades were thicker, but I had no trouble on my bison. I really like the cupped out ferrule design.

Which QAD Exodus do you have? I think the "swept" one may qualify as a barbed head. No doubt why they have the full blade version as well. Ramcat gets around this by allowing the blades to rotate fwd. Check the hunting regs where you are Re "barbed" heads
I am using the full blade/barbless version.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Look out bear!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Glad you chose an american product. I didnt mean to come off as a jerk about the chinese heads . Im on this buy american kick. Also i dont consider a canadian product foreign. I think most Japanese products are quality made such as their high dollar fishing tackle. I drive several toyotas but at least their made by our autoworkers in Kentucky. Im in the auto buisness and it always made me agitated when A guy gives me guff about driving a toyota when im working on his ford taking oem mexican parts out of a box . I guess no one really has a right to criticize one another about a product anymore the chinese just seem to cut every corner. Good luck with your choice hope you post pics of a giant bear or buck lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

longbow joe wrote:Glad you chose an american product. I didnt mean to come off as a jerk about the chinese heads . Im on this buy american kick. Also i dont consider a canadian product foreign. I think most Japanese products are quality made such as their high dollar fishing tackle. I drive several toyotas but at least their made by our autoworkers in Kentucky. Im in the auto buisness and it always made me agitated when A guy gives me guff about driving a toyota when im working on his ford taking oem mexican parts out of a box . I guess no one really has a right to criticize one another about a product anymore the chinese just seem to cut every corner. Good luck with your choice hope you post pics of a giant bear or buck lbj
Fulton Precision Archery is an American company. The heads are made in Taiwan. To me the same logic applies as in your Toyota example above.

But I like them because they fly great and hit hard and cause a ton of damage and pass thru. More so on all accounts than my Slick Tricks do. BUT...If I start getting them and the quality drops off (like I have seen with plenty of other heads) ....bye bye.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Maybe its my imagination but the replacement 125gr blades that I install on my 100gr. heads seem to be stiffer the head weighs out about 105 and they fly awesome and just 4 weeks away from slaying time :D
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Buszone wrote:Maybe its my imagination but the replacement 125gr blades that I install on my 100gr. heads seem to be stiffer the head weighs out about 105 and they fly awesome and just 4 weeks away from slaying time :D

Sept 10 Baby!!!!!!
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Well at least on Sept 1st I can shoot sky carp of the deck :P
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String