Corn feeder? Quantity

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Re: Corn feeder? Quantity

Post by wabi »

Just set & filled the feeders today. I had one gravity feeder, and we made a second one for the landowner this summer.

We took a 30gal steel drum, tilted it at about a 45º angle and poured some mortar mix (with several long screws through the drum to hold it in place) to push the corn toward the holes we drilled with a hole saw.

Then we built a wooden base and set the feeder on it.

This one is just a bit smaller than mine, but it still held about 80-90# of corn.

Mine has been in place for a few years now, but I added a wooden base this year (like the one above) since it got so muddy last year the feeder was sinking. :shock:

Here's a picture from February this year.

We fed from my feeder, a hanging Pennco feeder ( copy & paste link - http://www.pennco.com/Home.aspx ) and dumped some corn on the ground near his blind last season.
Didn't keep good records, but we fed from August 2015 to April 2016 and put out over 3 tons (6,000 lbs) of corn. We buy it from a local feed mill in bulk (500-600 lbs at a time) and they bag it in the feed sacks we re-use. Doing it that way we pay less than half what it costs in the 50 lb bags sold at the local stores like WalMart. We picked up 600 lbs today for $48. and put out 200 lbs to get them started.

Squirrels, coon, wild birds, turkey, and a few other wild critters eat some of it, but some of them are fun to watch (and hunt), too. There may even be a few dents from shotgun pellets in my feeder where the landowner's nephews were squirrel hunting last year. :lol:
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

I used a boss buck feeder last season, holds 350lbs of corn if I'm not mistaken. Deer weren't too happy with it, most wouldn't eat out of the tubes. Raccoons couldn't get to it which was good.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

janesy wrote:The cable idea is a good one! I can make that work.
So does the feeder swing loose so a coon couldn't get a hold of it ? Kinda like a squirrel free bird feeder.
When you put 300+ pounds in the barrel and raise it 8-9 foot it doesnt swing very much. Bears and coons can't get to it and squirrels have a hard time.

Check out this video. The main difference is I used heavy cable instead of chain between trees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbMGEduBxGs
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick