String problem or limb problem??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

davis131

String problem or limb problem??

Post by davis131 »

As a crossbow newbie,this is a little confusing for me but I got a 335 Micro a few months ago an been shooting it pretty regularly but tonight I have issues.. after trying to site in 150gr wensel woodsman's an not having much luck (shotgun pattern) I noticed my string serving looked a little worn (original string) so I had a flemish twist I bought as a spare an put it on,I had a terrible time with the brace height being uneven so I must have strung an unstrung it 2 doz. times trying to twist one side of the string or untwist the other so finally I was able to untwist it enough to get it to line up but the cost was a noticeable difference in limb bend between the two limbs an actually one side was really "digging" into to the right side limb bumper,I haven't shot it yet but I did put the old string on an saw the same issues,So i guess my question is : can 1 limb be a little tighter than the other or can a limb lose some strength or is it a string issue??..I'm an old recurve guy an even made a couple years ago an I know there can be a little difference on 3 fingers under or split finger but I love this xbow thing an don't remember seeing the limb difference before….
Ekkie

Re: String problem or limb problem??

Post by Ekkie »

That doesn't sound good; could be a limb issue. Any chance you could put up a picture somewhere and post the link to it?

~E
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I would ckeck your REDS ( string bumpers ) to insure they are both inserted into the riser evenly and the set screws are tight.

If they are fine, I would think you have a limb issue, as I cannot see changing a string as a possibility regardless of which end you twisted or untwisted to attain propper brace height.

Does the string set parallel to the referance line on the rail or is it slightly off..... I have also measured the distance at the end of the riser at each end perpendicular to the string to check for a variance length of measurement.

As stated above, pictures would help if you can post some up.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Boo

Post by Boo »

If what you are saying is accurate, you should start an RMA
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=58563
Your broadheads are too big. You need a much more compact broadhead.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The woodsman is not a big broadhead .its not much bigger than a boltcuttter just a little longer.smaller sizes are only 150 gr no more than a boltcuttter
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

longbow joe wrote:The woodsman is not a big broadhead .its not much bigger than a boltcuttter just a little longer.smaller sizes are only 150 gr no more than a boltcuttter
The woodsman looks like it would plane, especially at crossbow speeds because of its large overall surface area. That being said I have never used it, and hadn't heard about it until looking it up just now. But even if it only weighs 150gr and has a similar cutting diameter, it wouldn't necessarily have similar flight characteristics to a Boltcutter. I think that's what Don was getting at. It wouldn't be my go-to broadhead, and if I was getting erratic BH flight, I'd figure that head could be the culprit.

Relating to tiller variances, (and speaking from experience here), any significant tiller differences will show up as erratic BH flight, especially when you extend range and particularly so with fixed BHs.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
davis131

Post by davis131 »

I'll post a pic tonight when I get home,but tiller is off an noticeable even with out a bow square,the erratic flight continued even with the field tips..I never had a problem before last night,I'm trying to shoot a 450-475 grain bolt which I can get with 2219 shafts but now I'm getting worried..Can the limbs be purchased and I bought this new in April I would think there would be a warranty ...
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

davis131 wrote:I had a terrible time with the brace height being uneven so I must have strung an unstrung it 2 doz. times trying to twist one side of the string or untwist the other so finally I was able to untwist it enough to get it to line up but the cost was a noticeable difference in limb bend between the two limbs an actually one side was really "digging" into to the right side limb bumper,I haven't shot it yet but I did put the old string on an saw the same issues,So i guess my question is : can 1 limb be a little tighter than the other or can a limb lose some strength or is it a string issue?
You shouldn't have needed to untwist the Flemish very far to get it strung. Instead, you should have shortened the stringing aid to get the string over the limb tips. (Side note: since it was a new string, you could set the brace height about 1/2" longer than usual to speed up the break-in). There should be no reason that your string digs into the bumpers. I'd set it about 3/4" off them and shoot that string to get any creep out. Once it stops stretching, keep it 1/4" off the REDS, mark this spot on the rail with a sharpie and vigilantly maintain it.

You could have a tiller problem, (one limb stronger than the other), and that shows up pretty obviously when looking at your bow. Don't measure your tiller off the bumpers, measure from the limb to the string at the same spot on each limb. Small variances are not a big deal. A problem will present itself as erratic BH flight, especially with fixed BHs. If you get decent field point flight and poor performance from the BH, it could be tiller...it could be the BH. Spin test all arrows to determine your culprit.

Every single Excalibur crossbow has a lifetime warranty, so you're covered...for life! Follow the RMA procedure under the customer service tab. Purchase a second set while you're at it.

Have you done a thorough, as in every, fastener check?
Last edited by racking up points on Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

You needn't worry about a warranty; Excalibur has the best warranty in the business. If your limbs are bad, you'll get new ones. There's a post towards the top of the forum ( http://excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/vie ... =1&t=58563 )... it gives step by step instructions for filing a warranty claim.

Good luck,
~E
Boo

Post by Boo »

longbow joe wrote:The woodsman is not a big broadhead .its not much bigger than a boltcuttter just a little longer.smaller sizes are only 150 gr no more than a boltcuttter
Width yes, but they are very long and offer a lot of blade to catch the air. The greater blade surface will magnify any imperfections in the bow set up.
I have a few Woodsman broadheads and they all needed lots work to align well enough for my liking in my recurves. Crossbows need more precisely aligned broadheads.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I never liked em either in the longbow
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
davis131

Post by davis131 »

Problem solved!! :? Limb broke on first stringing with the flemish string but not the limb I would've thought the left broke .. Guess I know who to contact now..
vertacre

Post by vertacre »

I had the same problem. Erratic flight. Then I noticed how canted my string was across bumpers. Then had bow cocked and heard a crack and watched my right limb fold in.
davis131

Post by davis131 »

Thats a sickening feeling seeing that limb crack,I tried to post a couple pics but that didn't work either..As far as the WW heads go,I just felt they may be good heads for this,I don't use them for the recurve,I use a 2 blade but I do like the idea of a fixed resharpable head for the xbow..My first shot last night (not noticing the tiller off ) missed the target an went into my garage,Now thats not unusual with my recurve lol But I knew with the 335 SOMETHING was wrong..