goofy at the bow shop

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Buszone

goofy at the bow shop

Post by Buszone »

I stopped at my local pro shop yesterday and witnessed a guy in his 40's walk in with a excel bow case and tell the owner he has a problem with his 405 mega and can he help him. Steve said sure what's the problem? Well, as the guy is pulling it out of the case he says he bought it off Craigslist and has been shooting it for a couple months and has about 150 shots thru it but his accuracy is terrible and it makes a loud cracking noise when shot :?
WELL.... he hands the bow to Steve(shop owner) and as he looks at it he says well whens the last time you adjusted the string? response why would I have to do that :? The factory string was so far into the bumpers the one was splitting :shock: So Steve goes thru basic instructions with him. The guy had no string changer ,didn't know he needed one, the tact zone was mounted with a chant. The guy left his bow at the shop for them to install the scope properly and sight it in. Why would anyone buy something and not learn as much as possible about it before using it. The funniest statement was maybe he should have bought a compound Xbow because they never need anything done you just shoot them. Well after he left we both had a pretty good chuckle :lol:
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
vixenmaster

Re: goofy at the bow shop

Post by vixenmaster »

Hey jus think they are out there among be watchful n very careful. Maybe we should all be very afraid!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

If I'd have been standing there I'd have offered to take that piece of junk off his hands for a hundred bucks. :lol: Might have gotten a sweet deal on a 405!

~E
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Just look at how some people maintain their vehicles, their homes, their bodies...why would a bow that could hurt themselves or others be any different? :roll: At least your bow shop owner know his stuff, I have heard some dealers that sound like the customer you met.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

And this guy.........who obviously knows nothing................ buys the top of the line bow that is the least forgiving.....
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Ekkie wrote:If I'd have been standing there I'd have offered to take that piece of junk off his hands for a hundred bucks. :lol: Might have gotten a sweet deal on a 405!

~E
"Oh Brother, that thing is destroyed. I can't believe that some guy sold that to you. Here, I'll tell you what, I'll give you $100 for it and you just go pick yourself up a Barnett or Parker." LOL :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Walk into any Cabelas or Bass pro shop and they all have that problem. Guys buy stuff all the time that is beyond their egos knowledge! :lol: :lol:
Sort of like getting married, you don't have any idea what lies ahead! :shock: :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

As noted ---got to any of the big box sports stores ---- strings will be in the bumpers ---- I have give up telling the sales clerks of their errors --- they always answer ---"that is the way they came"---- thus anyone buying an Excal from one of these stores thinks they are doing the right thing.
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

Half of the used matrix on ebay i've seen over the last year have the bumpers eating string. Glad excal shortened up the strings!
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

There is such a large portion of the world that's clueless yet they call themselves progressives :roll: I find it entertaining to listen to the self proclaimed experts while in my favorite gun shop or bow shop, the real world facts are most couldn't bring home meat if you left it for them vacuum packed setting on the front seat of their truck :lol:
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

TheBig1 wrote:
Ekkie wrote:If I'd have been standing there I'd have offered to take that piece of junk off his hands for a hundred bucks. :lol: Might have gotten a sweet deal on a 405!

~E
"Oh Brother, that thing is destroyed. I can't believe that some guy sold that to you. Here, I'll tell you what, I'll give you $100 for it and you just go pick yourself up a Barnett or Parker." LOL :lol:
You obviously have never owned a top end Parker,, 2- Cyclones and a Gale Force,, I am considering a new Hurricane,,, shoot as good and as a trouble free my Excaliburs!!! Don't ever put a Parker and a Barnett it same class,, it shows your in line right behind the guy with 405 problems,,,, :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
galamb

Post by galamb »

I made a comment in another forum about how I sell a number of Barnett's to guys that had never shot a crossbow (usually in the 3rd week of November), but failed to tag out in the gun season and were looking for a "hail mary" chance in the late bow season and that "serious" bow hunter's usually buy something a little more upscale than Barnett.

My comment went on to say that after they figure out that even though they look like a gun, they sure don't shoot that way. And that once they figure out that fact, the bow will be relegated to the garage and won't come out again until the "next time" they miss bambi with their rifle.

Because of "that", a Barnett will outlast (in total years) just about every other bow out there.

I guess I caused some offense based on the responses.

And I do agree. There are some awesomely built compound crossbows. So far my preference has been recurve (first Horton and now Excalibur). But today's compounds are not plagued by the issues of those that came out 20 or 30 years ago and if you buy a "quality" bow, it will be reliable.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

My aunt used to have a gunshop the stories of people coming in with "unloaded"weapons is scary stuff.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
acreek

Post by acreek »

That's funny. Like some of the others, I might have been inclined to say, "Man, that thing is all busted up. I'll give you a $100 for the parts." Haha

I think part of the problem stems from the false narratives sold by the anti-crossbow crowd who in the past portrayed crossbows as foolproof, automatic killing machines in their drive to keep them out of archery deer seasons. I also recall a push by some for a nationwide ban on the sale of crossbows. Some ignorant people thought crossbows were so accurate and foolproof they would become the weapon of choice for sniper wannabes. And believe it or not, but I had to educate a bunch of lawyers a few months ago who thought crossbows were a type of firearm that propelled arrows after an explosive event.

Whatever the case or the cause, there are a lot of people out there still carrying around mistaken beliefs regarding crossbows.
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

I can see how these guys not educating themselves on the general maintenance of their excals could lead to broken limbs which ends up giving Excalibur a bad name to the people who don't know any better.
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender