Prairie farmers target U.S. hunters in mad-cow protest

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Woody Williams

Prairie farmers target U.S. hunters in mad-cow protest

Post by Woody Williams »

By GRAEME SMITH From Friday's Globe and Mail Winnipeg

Western farmers have started to take out their frustration over the mad-cow crisis on American hunters.

Black-and-white rectangular placards started appearing on fence posts and mailboxes across the prairies over the past few days.

"No American hunters allowed due to BSE," the signs declare, in bold capital letters. "Your unfair trade in beef and wheat by your government has led to these actions."

As fall hunting season begins, some farmers in Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan are threatening to bar American hunters from collecting the annual bounty of deer, ducks and geese from their fields.

One farmer has already towed away hunters' vehicles to make his point, and others warn they're prepared to follow through with the threat written on their new signs: "Violators will be prosecuted."

It's a spontaneous protest, not sponsored by major agricultural groups and vehemently opposed by the tourism industry.

However, the idea has quickly gained momentum as farmers grasp at any means of showing the United States their anger about U.S. agricultural policies, and particularly the ban on Canadian cattle exports since an Alberta cow tested positive for mad-cow disease, or bovine spongiform encephalopathy, last year.

"Our government is spineless," said rancher Gerry Duckworth, from his 3,200-hectare farm southwest of Moose Jaw, Sask. "We've got to do this ourselves."

Mr. Duckworth came up with the concept of banning hunters shortly after losing money on the sale of a young bull that would have fetched $3,700 if the border hadn't been closed.

He called a print shop in Moose Jaw and ordered some signs, 45 centimetres high and 60 centimetres wide, with the words "No beef =No hunting" written large enough to be spotted hundreds of metres away.

Friends and neighbours started asking for them, he said, and four days later he has already taken orders from across the Prairies for 2,000 more.

"Holy smokes, this thing has skyrocketed," Mr. Duckworth said. "People are as fed up as you can get."

Alberta feedlot operator Rick Paskal called Mr. Duckworth this week and asked for some signs to post around his 1,400 hectares of cornfields northwest of Lethbridge, where U.S. visitors usually shoot ducks and geese.

"They're not welcome this year," Mr. Paskal said. "It's a strong position, but what the hell do you expect us to do? We're dealing with some unreasonable people south of the border and you'd better believe that's making us a little unreasonable, too."

Hunters usually ask permission before shooting on a farmer's land and sometimes pay them for the privilege of using their private property.

The protest has divided farmers. One of Mr. Duckworth's neighbours, Jean-Claude Tremblay, raises cattle, but also guides American hunters.

He says he's concerned that damage to the tourism industry would devastate the already stricken rural economy.

"People are hurting, no doubt, but why hurt another industry?" Mr. Tremblay said.

Another Saskatchewan farmer, Michael Burgess, 49, agreed: "You're biting your nose off to spite your face," he said.

Others are skeptical that the protest will work. Wayne Jones of Birsay, Sask., said he appreciates the $100 tip he gets from outfitters when U.S. visitors roam his land. "I think you'll find these people don't turn anybody away when the price is right," Mr. Jones said.

But Hal Stupnikoff, executive director of the Saskatchewan Outfitters Association, said his guides are very concerned. Hunters bring 4,000 jobs to a rural economy in Saskatchewan and the province can't afford to lose them, he said.

"It's not something we're taking lightly," Mr. Stupnikoff said. "We're trying to dissuade [Mr. Duckworth] from doing this."

But Mr. Duckworth said the flood of calls into his answering machine has been largely supportive, despite messages from a few angry outfitters.

Les Johnson, 50, who farms cattle and grain near Fillmore, Sask., said he doesn't need one of Mr. Duckworth's signs, but he has already decided to kick U.S. hunters off his property this year. U.S. congressmen, doctors, lawyers, and even basketball stars visit the prime hunting grounds in the area, he said, so it's a chance for some face-to-face lobbying.

"The Americans are kind of *******ly," Mr. Johnson said. "They're getting pretty nasty as neighbours. So why not make a quiet statement? I'll just walk up to them and politely explain: 'I'm sorry, but you'll have to go elsewhere.'"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... /National/
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Well I think this is their choice and I will not make a unjust comment about what THEY think is right in their eyes. I also respect their views right or wrong.

GaryL
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Dave Snobelen

Post by Dave Snobelen »

Woody
We lost our farm (to the bank) when I was 13 in '63. When you face a loss like this, yours and your childrens heritage, you fight with everything at your disposal. There is no right or wrong side to this action. It is their land and the frustration with our governments attitude towards their constituents is a amjor driving force behind this. It almost seems as though the Canadian FIBERALS are defending US policy. If this was your kids future what would you do.
Dave
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Dave,

I would fight back with everything I had.

I wasn't taking sides in this. I just posted something I thought was relevant to our board.

I think the one BSE cow action was a knee jerk by our government..But we are good at "knee jerks..."
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]

Post by Guest »

I'm not surprised. Farmers have been posting their land to no hunting more so in the last few years now. These guys are caught in a political situation, and they know it. That's one reason the West hates the Fiberals so much. Not one Liberal elected in Saskatchewan. Its ironic, Paul Martin is or was here in the West, suck holing, sorry pal!!! it won't work, your hated.

Farmers, especially ranchers, are hurting BIG time. Every day its a nail in the coffin for most of them, their literally losing everything. They are definetly in a foul mood, they have nothing to lose. For the past 6 years, farmers have faced huge hurdles, sever drought, grasshoppers, tariffs on wheat, B.S.E., frost, and now its so wet they can't even get in their fields to harvest the crops. The guy renting our land still has hay laying in swaths not baled. It should have been baled, hauled away in the 3th week of July. I don't expect to get paid, ($4000.00), likely have to lump it. You can't get blood out of a stone and I won't push it.

If this continues, hunters will be forced to either pay for hunting, or be limited to hunting on crown owned land. That's one reason we purchased some property.

I just pray this is over and the borders open soon, these guys have suffered enough. It takes a hellava man to endur what they've gone through, and still get up in the morning with a smile.

Try not to be angry at these farmers, they have a right to be P.O'ed.

Grey Owl
raspberry patch

I am impressed

Post by raspberry patch »

I am impress with the maturity of the response, and willingness to look into the mirror before they respond.

I read the frustration is with both governments, and hope we, Canada, can develop the packers and markets to get our farmers going, not just in the US, but fair prices in Canada and across the world.
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I dont blame the USA for the border closing. I feel President Bush is taking care of his farmers. Hi took this situation and closed the borders, driving US beef prices through the roof.

I also dont blame the farmers. If you drove around my area 5 years ago and than took a drive today, you will notice many farms and feedlots are empty, and some abondoned.

Beef farmers are desperate and feel helpless. Many other farmers are willing to back them. I think it is sending the wrong message to the citizens of the states about being welcome here. We need non-residents to pay the incredible license fees for the good of the countries wildlife.

Before protesting US hunters, lets protest the restaurants, grocery stores and any othe place in Canada that is selling imported beef.
-Richard-
Dave Snobelen

Post by Dave Snobelen »

Woody
All is cool :D . I know you aren't judgemental. I was just venting. What all of us need is a repeat of the closeness like we had during the Reagan Mulrooney era. And this isn't a political statement only a realistic sollution to all the political frictions today.
Dave
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I understand the reasoning behind banning American hunters. Get them angry so they will voice their opinions onto their gov't to make changes to their policies. It is not the citizens/hunters that they are upset with, it is the gov't.
Ontario Bow Hunter

Post by Ontario Bow Hunter »

I don't blame the Canadian farmers either,.. their just trying to stir the pot in order to resolve the issue. Besides this is completely a political issue,... sometimes I wonder if this is punishment from the US gov. for the soft wood lumber problem and/or the lack of Canadian participation/support in the Afgan/Iraq war
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It won't change anything. A few disgruntled US hunters who go home unhappy, or who don't bother to come to Canada, won't be enough to change the policies of the US Gov't.

It won't make "fart in the wind" difference to the farmers as far as loss of income is concerned. The few bucks they might make as a tip for letting someone onto their land won't even be enough to pay the year's phone bill, let alone anything that really costs. (Which everthing does, on the farm.)

It'll hurt some outfitters here in Canada. They'll squawk, but that won't motivate our government any more than it is now. (Paralyzed)

It will delight and encourage the tree huggers. I can't think of how they can build on this, though, except to be encouraged in their efforts.

I don't blame the farmers, though. It's just not going to be effective. If it were tied to measures which reduced oil exports, electricity exports, natural gas exports, timber and wood product exports, and mineral exports, now that would get people's attention. That would bring retaliation and result in autos and parts not being shipped to the US, and that would cripple Ontario.

None of that will happen. Not that I would want a trade war. Still, it does feel a lot like we are under attack, though, being sniped at and shot, issue by issue, even though there is no war declared.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.