Making a target for my new Axiom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bcbuckblaster

Making a target for my new Axiom

Post by bcbuckblaster »

Hi everyone! New to this site but not brand new to crossbow hunting. Had a compound years ago and sold it. Wanted to get back into it and just picked up an Axiom. Seems like a great bunch of people on here with loads of info.

I would like to make my own target. Do you think that the high density construction foam pieces (2") thick stacked and bundled together into a nice big block would be enough to stop an arrow from the Axiom at 20 yards for initial sight in procedure?

If I do go out and buy one, what brad name or material is the best quality for your arrows? I'll be shooting the 20" carbon fiber arrows that came with it and the 150 grain field points. Would like to buy a target that is at least "good" for arrow longevity.

Thanks for any and all info folks. Can't wait to get this dialed in and get to hunting soon. The opener is fast approaching!
roly

Re: Making a target for my new Axiom

Post by roly »

The foam will work , but not for every long, it will wear out very quickly.

Make a bag target of your own. Which is old clothing stuffed in to a large bag.
But it's only good for field points though.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I bought a Buckmaster target from walmart.
it is a target stuffed with rags and stops arrows from my 310 and 330 very well, and I can remove the arrows with 2 fingers ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D
For field points I have a yellow jacket bag target. And for broad heads I use the Rinehart 18-1. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Czy_Horse

Post by Czy_Horse »

As seen at BooFest and shot at a lot, this is my rag target, when you are done shooting flip it up and put lid on.

When to the Salvation Army and bought 2 garbage bags of clean rags(no buttons or zippers) for $7 bucks each, can was $19. Make sure to layer the cloth for maximum stopping power
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

X4 on rag target for field points. EZ arrow removal.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
bcbuckblaster

Post by bcbuckblaster »

Huge thanks to all who replied! It looks like I need to go and find some used clothing somewhere. Thanks for all the tips and ideas everyone!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Welcome to the forum. Why not finish filling in your profile so we can see where you're from? It makes it easier for us to help you and make recommendations.
If you hunt you will need a broadhead target because testing your hunting heads is a must. The Axiom is a great model but it's certainly no M380 or M405 that will blast through everything. I think the best bang for your buck will be a Rhinehart 18 in 1 target. If you want a field point only target go for the Rag Bag by Third Hand Archery.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome to the forum. Make sure to remove all the metal, plastic fasteners and zippers from the rags. Fold the rags as your target will be much denser. Watch out for the triangle of pain. Happy shootin,
Hank
bcbuckblaster

Post by bcbuckblaster »

Thanks again to all replies!

So I actually looked into the Rinehart targets and man are they expensive! Looked at the 18 in 1 like suggested but then I actually found the Rhinoblock target also made by Rinehart. It has a replaceable center piece and might be a little larger surface area for a newb to hit? Apparently also made of the same material as the 18 in 1 so it is also good for broadhead use.

I decided that it would probably be better to buy one good target rather than a bunch of crappy ones that need to be replaced annually so I bought the Rhinoblock. After all I want to take good care of my arrows and broadheads for hunting.

I will probably still make a rag bag target for field point practice though. It sounds like it is easier to pull arrows from rather than the foam for extended shooting sessions. Thanks for all the tips everyone! Just need to find some time away from work and some used clothing now. Thanks for the reminder about the zipper and button removal from the clothes also!
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Get a Danny Miller arrow puller for pulling out arrows from your block target.

The arrows you avoid damaging, and the reduction of wear and tear on your patience will pay for it.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
bcbuckblaster

Post by bcbuckblaster »

Thanks for the advice, will be looking into getting an arrow puller as well. So much stuff to get and work keeps getting in my way.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bcbuckblaster wrote:Thanks for the advice, will be looking into getting an arrow puller as well. So much stuff to get and work keeps getting in my way.
Since you're in Canada, you can find the plier pullers from Boo. I do not advise using the T handle puller. Once you use the Danny Miller plier pullers your only regret will be that you didn't get them right away. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Get a Delta McKenzie 20/20 target. $29.99 USD

It stops field points great, and you can pull them out with two fingers.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
bcbuckblaster

Post by bcbuckblaster »

Thanks again! The tips keep on pouring in! I'll have to look at the arrow pullers from Boo. Question is does he make his own or is he the Canadian distributor for Danny Miller?

Also looked up the Delta Mckenzie 20/20 target on Cabela's Canada site. Doesn't say if it's rated for crossbows or not. Looks like the price is double the USD ouch! It says my store is out of stock but I may go and order one in. Thanks!