Removing carbon arrow inserts easy...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Removing carbon arrow inserts easy...

Post by sproulman »

I took my field point and put it in vise pointing up .I then took propane torch you use for soldering pipes in your home.I got the insert hot just enough i could see red startings like WHITE HOT..

Then i screwed in arrow to heated field point in vise and waited about 10 seconds or so and pulled up and the insert came right out.SOMETIMES you have to heat the point AGAIN then twist on arrow wait 10 seconds or so and it will come off easy..

Nice thing is very little heat to arrow at all only about 1 inch and you can grab arrow after doing this its not hot at all..

I tried this idea after TRYING to get lighter or candle to heat the insert.That way the arrow heated up about 10 inchs up shaft and still insert would not come out........
This way your arrow gets no heat or very little near insert area..

i use 2 propane soldering torchs to Temper your frizzens on muzzleloaders and it works good with Kasenit powder ..Those torchs you can buy at wal-mart with replaceable fuel cans ..
I also use gas grill to temper a frizzen ...

Now need advice,What glue do i use from hardware stores like lowes to glue in the inserts .....Thanks.....
hankenhunter

Re: Removing carbon arrow inserts easy...

Post by hankenhunter »

I use hot melt glue sticks. I do the same trick as you. I thread the insert onto the field point, heat the field tip and then rub the glue stick against the sides of the insert for a thin film. Then I quickly tap the insert home and quickly wipe off any hot melt from the edges. This glue makes for easy removal. I have never lost an insert using this method. Slight thread jack here. Are Fire bolt inserts the same size as Zombie inserts?
Hank
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I use J-B weld!! There in for good!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Only problem wid yer method is it will make that carbon brittle n it will crack n split n break. Jus ask me how i knowed this :lol: Even puttin them in boilin water til the glue softens enuff to pull them out will make them brittle, jus ask me how i knowed that :lol: Not every one but enuff losses that i quit on them. Once used i either cut them shorter fer anudder crossbow n reinsert them or i jus practice shootin varmits or rocks or trees or whatever you wish to ruin them on :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

As stated, high heat like what you are using ruins/weakens the bonding process use to make carbon arrows. What you are doing works great for aluminum shafts but is never a good idea with carbon. In most cases hot water from tap is enough heat to loosen inserts or use the rod inside - tap it out method.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

vixenmaster wrote:Only problem wid yer method is it will make that carbon brittle n it will crack n split n break. Jus ask me how i knowed this :lol: Even puttin them in boilin water til the glue softens enuff to pull them out will make them brittle, jus ask me how i knowed that :lol: Not every one but enuff losses that i quit on them. Once used i either cut them shorter fer anudder crossbow n reinsert them or i jus practice shootin varmits or rocks or trees or whatever you wish to ruin them on :lol:
Cut 'em off....Nobody will know the difference.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

vixenmaster wrote:Only problem wid yer method is it will make that carbon brittle n it will crack n split n break. Jus ask me how i knowed this :lol: Even puttin them in boilin water til the glue softens enuff to pull them out will make them brittle, jus ask me how i knowed that :lol: Not every one but enuff losses that i quit on them. Once used i either cut them shorter fer anudder crossbow n reinsert them or i jus practice shootin varmits or rocks or trees or whatever you wish to ruin them on :lol:
Sadly I would not be doing this if they would have just squared the arrows ..Thanks for info ..I tried just hot water and they would not come out and hitting with rod did not work ...but i was surprised at how easy they came out and only about a 1 inch area was warm insert length vrs if you use lighter almost 10 inchs of arrow is warm ..

I called few members of bow club I belong too and they use a threaded bolt the same as the insert threads and put a Soldering iron on bolt head ,heat it and use pliers to remove inserts from carbon arrows.....

i shoot about 20 shots a week and use same arrow over and over lets make test to see how long it lasts until it cracks ..where does cracks start so I can look for them.thanks..
Last edited by sproulman on Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

hankenhunter wrote:I use hot melt glue sticks. I do the same trick as you. I thread the insert onto the field point, heat the field tip and then rub the glue stick against the sides of the insert for a thin film. Then I quickly tap the insert home and quickly wipe off any hot melt from the edges. This glue makes for easy removal. I have never lost an insert using this method. Slight thread jack here. Are Fire bolt inserts the same size as Zombie inserts?
Hank
I used same as I had stick from 1970...lol..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Hunt it wrote:As stated, high heat like what you are using ruins/weakens the bonding process use to make carbon arrows. What you are doing works great for aluminum shafts but is never a good idea with carbon. In most cases hot water from tap is enough heat to loosen inserts or use the rod inside - tap it out method.
I read where if you put a drill bit just smaller than arrow inside dia ,you drop it in and swing it and it will nock out insert without heat if not expoxy in...

Good or bad idea?
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I use small 7" piece of brass rod and never had one I could not get out. I have read here that some use drill bit others use section of rifle cleaning rod.
Possum

Post by Possum »

It's simple... acetone. Put the insert end down into a jar just deep enough to cover the insert inside of the shaft. Acetone breaks down the adhesive and the insert comes out. Has never hurt any shafts that I am aware of.
I've shared this info several times on here and other forums but apparently people are just prone to play with fire.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Php 4:13
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

With what works like brass or drill bit inside and now Acetone I guess no reason to use heat ..I asked and most said heat point then they ask me and i say heat point ..

Sort of how Gossip gets spread around.. :lol:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Possum wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:32 am
It's simple... acetone. Put the insert end down into a jar just deep enough to cover the insert inside of the shaft. Acetone breaks down the adhesive and the insert comes out. Has never hurt any shafts that I am aware of.
I've shared this info several times on here and other forums but apparently people are just prone to play with fire.
Will Goof Off hurt Carbon Arrow I have that it melts plastic ?
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Hunt it wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:11 am
I use small 7" piece of brass rod and never had one I could not get out. I have read here that some use drill bit others use section of rifle cleaning rod.
Drill bit can split shaft as it mushrooms the brass insert trying to get it out ..
Shop uses a rod that just fits inside and taps with hammer after soaking in Acetone and it comes out.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have several times left inserts bonded to shaft sections in acetone for over a week and I still had to carve the carbon off. If you want to try impact from piece of drill rod then stick the shaft in a freezer for a few hours.
Anything you do to force the insert off will compromise your safety and possibly someone your love. Heat is especially precarious! If you only have a slight chance to lose your eye sight, get carbon splinters embedded in your body, scare the crap out of yourself or lose a deer of your lifetime, why take a chance to save a few dollars?
Paul said it right, cut the sucker off. :thumbup:
Some people just like stepping on rakes