Getting Ready!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Getting Ready!

Post by xcaliber »

With the wedding for the daughter in October, and all the other "Stuff" going on I decided to take a day to myself, and sight in the guns one last time, and the Crossbows too. Here is the results at 150 yards with the Savage 220, and 50 Cal CVA soot burner. I'm more than pleased knowing I won't shoot this far in hunting situations, but could if needed. I'm certain the guns are more accurate than me. This was off a make shift rest, and rickety table. I'm not making excuses, but overall, I'm pleased with that result from both guns. Crossbows, nothing to show, they are more than capable for the 30 - 40 yard shots I'll take! :wink:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Re: Getting Ready!

Post by xcaliber »

The top target was the 220, duh! :lol:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I'd say yer ready to get wid'em n mix it up abit :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Smoke Pole, I'd love to get together one day and shoot the old smokers together. I'm sure I'd get a few tips from you Mike. :wink:
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Looking good Dan !
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, Indiana enacted some goofy law out to 2020 that allows rifles in darn near all calibers, but still some imitations, and only on "Private land" but the craze is on now for Hoosiers to get guns fitting the bill. The Apprentice wants to run out and get a 30.06 that is on the list, but after seeing what the shotgun can do, he's holding off. One thing for sure, the shotgun rules won't change, but who knows what the public opinion will decide in 4 years! :shock: For a shotgun, the Savage 220 is a rifle in my opinion, and should be much more accurate in the hands of a real shooter. I tried a few loads, and the Hornady Superformance slugs are more than satisfying for my use.
Anyhoo, Good Luck to All the Hunting Brothers this Fall! :wink:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

xcaliber wrote:With the wedding for the daughter in October, and all the other "Stuff" going on I decided to take a day to myself, and sight in the guns one last time, and the Crossbows too. Here is the results at 150 yards with the Savage 220, and 50 Cal CVA soot burner. I'm more than pleased knowing I won't shoot this far in hunting situations, but could if needed. I'm certain the guns are more accurate than me. This was off a make shift rest, and rickety table. I'm not making excuses, but overall, I'm pleased with that result from both guns. Crossbows, nothing to show, they are more than capable for the 30 - 40 yard shots I'll take! :wink:

[URL=http://s1339.photobucket.com/user/xcali ... x.jpg.html]Image
....I wish I got that accuracy with my pistols at 10yds.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

....them be some mitey fine shootin I reckon...ole granny and Jethro would be proud I reckon!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I am pleased. The outside ring is 6" and I'm well within it at 150 yards, heck yeah! For a Shotgun, and a Smoker, pretty happy! :wink:
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Xcaliber,

The Savage 220 is a great slug rifle. I picked one up last year and it's a shooter. I tried different slugs and with mine the 2 3/4 Remington 260 grain AccuTip's shoot the best. 1 1/2 groups at 100 yards. I was concerned about dropping down to a 20 gauge as I have always used A 12 gauge in the past but I believe the 20 gauge slug will be very effective. The ballistics are very similar to a 50 caliber muzzleloader.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yes, I tried those as well, and like them too, these two work for me, but the Hornady Superfornance were easier to get. I'm going to stick with them for this year. Yes, it is a great slugger for sure.
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Dan Good luck this fall with your stick flinger an bang sticks!! :D
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You too! I just got an invitation to a family friend's daughter wedding October 1st. What's with these fall weddings? :shock: