Arrow life.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

buffalo

Arrow life.

Post by buffalo »

This is my first time hunting with a crossbow. I will actually get a good bit of time in the wood with the exomag.
Here's my question. How many shots will an arrow last when used for hunting? 1 shot, 10 shots?
I'm down to 5 arrows for the season, just wondering if I need to pick up more before season starts.
paulaboutform

Re: Arrow life.

Post by paulaboutform »

There are too many variables to answer that. It could be one it could be twenty. It all depends on where you hit, what's behind the target when your arrow passes through.....too many variables. I'd look at picking up a dozen arrows personally.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:There are too many variables to answer that. It could be one it could be twenty. It all depends on where you hit, what's behind the target when your arrow passes through.....too many variables. I'd look at picking up a dozen arrows personally.

Paul
x2....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
buffalo

Post by buffalo »

I was afraid that was the advice! Getting arrows and broadheads ain't cheap!!
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

If you want your bow to be all it can be you might want to get a hold of Big John for some custom Zombies Arrows. His prices are comparable to store bought arrows. Most accurate arrows I've ever bought.
Hank
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you don't lose them or pound them into hard targets at super short ranges or damage them some other way, they'll be useful for a lifetime or more.
If you don't make your own, you should consider it. It isn't rocket science, all you have to do is follow the rules. Of course, if your handicapped in one way or another :mrgreen: you can always get someone to make them for you.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

For hunting purposes . I like to think of it as a one time use . Then when you can reuse the arrow it is a bonus . Broadheads you will for the most part have to replace the blade portion minimum if replaceable .
Dad shot a deer a couple of years ago . Complete passthrough . Arrow came to a stop in a cedar . The broadhead is still there in the tree . Arrow was unharmed .
I have destroyed arrows on first use and then others come out unharmed . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
galamb

Post by galamb »

I'm with Doe Master on this one.

I buy my arrows in dozen lots. I then number them (just mark one of the vanes with a pen) and then shoot all the arrows three times and chart them.

I then group them into three groups of four (because my quiver holds 4 arrows).

The four most accurate that also group best "together" get designated as my 4 "hunting arrows" - the only other time those get shot is when Bambi is in the sights.

The other eight are my practice arrows. As others have noted, unless I put another arrow on top of them in the target (have about half dozen of those as decorations - looks cool) or they hit something hard and shatter, you can get hundreds of shots out of them.

My "hunting arrows" and their broadheads get treated like a rifle cartridge. I only "assume" I will get one shot from them. I figure if they take down a deer they "deserve" to be retired. In the greater scheme of things they really aren't that expensive - a good broadhead on a quality shaft is still cheaper than a box of center fire shells that the typical hunter will burn off in a single hunting season - and that's the perspective I take into it...
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Boo

Post by Boo »

You gus are right. I forgot the loss when hunting. If you hunt from the ground, you may lose lots. Lumenoks help, but if they're a concession away, nothing helps.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
buffalo

Post by buffalo »

I figured I was being optimistic about my 4 arrows. I had 5 till by brother missed our target and hit a steel beam. Now to figure out what I want to go with and save up.
galamb

Post by galamb »

4 is enough for "hunting" unless you miss a lot :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
buffalo

Post by buffalo »

But those are for practice also. I have shot it maybe 20 times on the last week. That's the first it's been cocked in 3 years! So I will need some more!
galamb

Post by galamb »

That gives you another potential issue.

You should be practicing with the arrow you are going to hunt with, otherwise you won't know for sure how the "new ones" will shoot.

So unless you are going to pick up more of what you are shooting now, you need the "different brand" far enough ahead to practice with them both with field points and broadheads - have to know "how" they will shoot when it counts...
Graham

Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

When I got started using my excal it came with 6 arrows in the kit. I then bought another half dozen. One season I used only 6 arrows by rotating them after I shot my Deer. The following year my pass thru's I hit rocks in the dirt and a few tree roots. I went true about 8 arrows. Like everyone has stated I would pick up at least another 12 to be safe. I would go with Big John on getting the Zombies. As soon as I run out on the ones I have I will getting some from him. Also not sure what Broadheads your using , I use NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain for xbows and I buy the replacement blades for them. I also buy them from Dicks Sporting Goods and you get 4 for $39. We're everyone else sells them for 3 for $39. Good Hunting.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

If you can afford more then by all means do so. If you can't afford them now I'll send you aluminum if you'd like.