Sanity check: Matrix 355 or Micro 335 Gen I?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

RobD

Sanity check: Matrix 355 or Micro 335 Gen I?

Post by RobD »

I need a sanity check from my fellow addicts!

My bow is the decked out Matrix 355 (see signature) and I picked up a Cub for my 21yo who is 5' and couldn't even ready my first bow, an Axiom SMF. If she took my Matrix out (I would ready it first before she walked out back to the blind) that left me without something. Thus two bows, which both use the 18" Diablos, so a single stock of bolts.

Now the dilemma: Vixenmaster had to go and get himself a 350LE to go with Captain Morgan. He sings praises of the 335, so I went and handled one at my local Dunhams. While my Matrix feels good, the Micro feels just as good and maybe slightly better. I have no hates for the hold of the Matrix. But now the upgrade bug has settled into my crazy brain.

Thought I convinced myself to keep with the Matrix, but a check on Craigslist turned up Gen I (2015) camo Micro 335 with everything for six bills. I can't afford to keep a 3rd bow. My kids have to stay with the Cub unless I do all the rope pulling.

Please help! Am I insane to want to switch down to a Micro 335? Last year's shot on target was 20 yards, shots could be up to 40 yards but I can work on sitting location to keep it at 30 yards if I really have to.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout
Micro 360 TD Pro (Kryptek Altitude)

Vixenmaster strings - Love 'em! | DrStirrup - Good stuff man!
xcaliber

Re: Sanity check: Matrix 355 or Micro 335 Gen I?

Post by xcaliber »

I sold my Micro, and got another Matrix, the 330. This allows me to use one arrow box for both Matrix bows. I would say keep the matrix for you, the Cub for the others, and get a few goodies to make you feel like you treated yourself to something new! :wink: 8)
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I had a gen l 335 which I let go of do to the fear of limb issues they were experiencing last year. I replaced it with a gen ll 335.
I also have a Matrix 355 and a 380.......If push ever came to shove, I would keep my matrix 355 to the very end... :wink:

It gives me great accuracy, relliability, performance and handling in a nice compact package.... It may not be as compact as my Micro, but I find it much more usable at ranges of 40 yards or more.

IMO, the Matrix 355 has been the highest performing most trouble free model Excalibur has came out with to date.....like that fameous "Energizer Bunny" it just keeps on going and going and going. :lol: :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Dunhams has 30% off on micro 335 .some getting bows new for under 700 bucks..Other areas its 20% off getting 335 for 720 dollars ...Friend up street paid 720 friday for micro 335 package ..
janesy

Post by janesy »

RobD wrote:I need a sanity check from my fellow addicts!

My bow is the decked out Matrix 355 (see signature) and I picked up a Cub for my 21yo who is 5' and couldn't even ready my first bow, an Axiom SMF. If she took my Matrix out (I would ready it first before she walked out back to the blind) that left me without something. Thus two bows, which both use the 18" Diablos, so a single stock of bolts.

Now the dilemma: Vixenmaster had to go and get himself a 350LE to go with Captain Morgan. He sings praises of the 335, so I went and handled one at my local Dunhams. While my Matrix feels good, the Micro feels just as good and maybe slightly better. I have no hates for the hold of the Matrix. But now the upgrade bug has settled into my crazy brain.

Thought I convinced myself to keep with the Matrix, but a check on Craigslist turned up Gen I (2015) camo Micro 335 with everything for six bills. I can't afford to keep a 3rd bow. My kids have to stay with the Cub unless I do all the rope pulling.

Please help! Am I insane to want to switch down to a Micro 335? Last year's shot on target was 20 yards, shots could be up to 40 yards but I can work on sitting location to keep it at 30 yards if I really have to.
Your kids interested will drop like a rock if they can't be 100% involved. Keep the 355. When they are old enough to step to the next bow, they will be able to cock the 355. The 335 they will not be able to. And you'll be back in the same boat. Then turn the club and get a 335.

I echo what Gene said, although I love my micros, my matrix 355 is the best all around bow they have made. An
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You have the Matrix, its a solid worker. You have arrows that fit it n the cub. The only thing the Micro will bring to the Ball Game is its abit more compact n abit lighter. Fer those 2 +'s you get couple -'s, like harder to cock, slower in FPS n shorter yardage. I love Captain Morgan but he is only a Huntin model now n i don't shoot him all the time fer practice.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
RobD

Post by RobD »

Thanks guys - just about everyone I was hoping to respond actually responded. Keeping the Matrix it is for this sanity check. While I have no problems pulling the string on the Matrix as I'm closing in on the 50 mark, you are right and 10 years from now may prove to be difficulty with the Micro with the slightly harder pull. By then I may be wishing I kept the Matrix 330 or Axiom! It'll probably be the kids shooting the 355 and I'll be using the Cub! :lol:
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout

BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I really like the Matrix 330 as an all around good crossbow. Perfect fit and easy enough for most to cock all afternoon target shooting. But for me, my back just couldn't handle that much shooting with it. The 310 is my go-to when target shooting, and will now be my hunting one as well for a while. The 330 worked great for me as far as sighting in and hunting, but needing to part with one or the other I felt I would get more enjoyment from shooting the 310.
I already have a plan for replacing the 330 figured out in my mind and will follow through with it in the future as long as the plans don't get lost amongst all the info I have stored up there. :lol:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I'd keep the 355, that's what I shoot and I'm going to be 61yrs old this year. I want no other bow but my 355!
It's your money though so spend wisely!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
RobD

Post by RobD »

Yup. keeping the 355. I asked him what his best price was, just in case it was too good to pass on and purchase now anyways. He said $550, because he just sold it to somebody else for that. And it had a TactZone on it too.

It's the one that got away! I'm next in line if the deal falls through though.
Micro Suppressor 400 TD
Bulldog 360 Blackout