Game Cart Help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Game Cart Help

Post by CT.HNTR »

Looking for a quality game cart capable of getting a deer 2 miles out of the woods. The terrain is a combination of decent trails but the terrain can also be steep and rugged with many blow downs along the way prior to getting to a trail.

There is no shortage of game carts online but they just don't look that rugged to me and look cheap.

If anybody can share their experiences with game carts and make a recommendation it would be appreciated.

I am also interested if people make their own and if so can you share pictures?

I am thinking I will probably need to make my own to end up with something I am truly happy with!
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Tennessee Rebel

Re: Game Cart Help

Post by Tennessee Rebel »

I made mine from an old Tree lounge tree stand. There is a guy on ebay that sells a wheel kit for them.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Which ever cart you get the secret is to replace the wheels and go with the largest you can find. My buddy put 24 in wheels on his cart and wheeling a deer out is a piece of cake. The wheels are the key.
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Predator55 wrote:Which ever cart you get the secret is to replace the wheels and go with the largest you can find. My buddy put 24 in wheels on his cart and wheeling a deer out is a piece of cake. The wheels are the key.
Big wheels and it is best if the deer is ABOVE the wheels. Being above the wheels keeps legs from shifting into the spokes and gumming up the works.

The best game cart I ever used was a rickshaw style cart that was built out of thick wall EMT and was on mountain bike tires. That thing would go anywhere.

For rugged terrain a tree winch can come in handy. This is near the top of the project list:

http://youtu.be/D8Z_7nbD-DE

Bob
Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Predator55 wrote:Which ever cart you get the secret is to replace the wheels and go with the largest you can find. My buddy put 24 in wheels on his cart and wheeling a deer out is a piece of cake. The wheels are the key.
MY 50 dollar cart off e bay is fine to haul deer out.You are right 2 things large wheels mine are 18.5 inchs and are fine.next you want a wide one between wheels some are very small inside and that causes tipping over.

next reverse the handle so REAR of cart is up in air not down catching the brush ..There is cart on e bay everyone is selling.buy one with 18.5 inch wheels and check the WIDTH inside ..they sell for around 50 bucks.

they stink for about 2 weeks leave out in weather from tires..
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Smell is something to look for when buying one , if you will be parking your cart near where you hunt. Many carts seem to have tires that smell extremely strong of rubber, mine does, and I tried washing them, running them through mud and cow dung, and It still has that rubber smell.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

sproulman wrote:next you want a wide one between wheels some are very small inside and that causes tipping over.
^---This! Fortunately, someone stole my last game cart that I had pre-positioned on private land. I say fortunately, because that thing was the biggest pain in the butt! I swear I had the cart on top of the deer more often than the deer on top of the cart. If someone had a camera, I'm sure at some point I could have won on Funniest Home Videos.

In all seriousness, width is a plus. Also, not having a direct axle connecting the wheels is a plus. That way you can straddle a log or rocks or similar obstruction without having the axle bottom out.

I have come to the conclusion that game carts are a tool for folks that play on fairly level land. Here in the mountains there really isn't an easy way to get a 200# animal up a hill with wheels unless either a motor or brakes are part of the equation. Without brakes, you have no way to stop halfway up an incline (if you're thinking just turn sideways, see the note on width).

My problem is that the cart is never where the deer is laying. I just hook onto the deer with the HSS deer drag strap and head to the vehicle and save the extra trip to retrieve a cart. If I had to pull two miles, I would have to reassess my method. This season I'm going to test out a cheap plastic kids snow sled to see if it helps.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

DuckHunt wrote:
sproulman wrote:next you want a wide one between wheels some are very small inside and that causes tipping over.
^---This! Fortunately, someone stole my last game cart that I had pre-positioned on private land. I say fortunately, because that thing was the biggest pain in the butt! I swear I had the cart on top of the deer more often than the deer on top of the cart. If someone had a camera, I'm sure at some point I could have won on Funniest Home Videos.

In all seriousness, width is a plus. Also, not having a direct axle connecting the wheels is a plus. That way you can straddle a log or rocks or similar obstruction without having the axle bottom out.

I have come to the conclusion that game carts are a tool for folks that play on fairly level land. Here in the mountains there really isn't an easy way to get a 200# animal up a hill with wheels unless either a motor or brakes are part of the equation. Without brakes, you have no way to stop halfway up an incline (if you're thinking just turn sideways, see the note on width).

My problem is that the cart is never where the deer is laying. I just hook onto the deer with the HSS deer drag strap and head to the vehicle and save the extra trip to retrieve a cart. If I had to pull two miles, I would have to reassess my method. This season I'm going to test out a cheap plastic kids snow sled to see if it helps.

DuckHunt

I use cart to haul in my summit climber,crossbow,clothing, lunch etc all on cart.when i get 100 yards from my spot i hide it in brush and carry my stuff rest of way to my tree..When i leave i haul everything out with cart same way..I HAVEtrails to walk in /out about 1 mile in ..

no more carrying my treestands getting all sweaty etc..ITS GREAT ....
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i use a cart most of the time but i also use a kids roll up sled drill holes on the sides lace deer on and go sled straps right pack