Bolt cutter broad head question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

6x6 elk

Bolt cutter broad head question

Post by 6x6 elk »

How have the Boltcutters performed on game for everyone? Reviews on Cabelas were up and down, accuracy good but several complaints that the cutting diameter was too small, and blood trails to be minimal ,causing several reviewers to loose game. What have you guys found?
longbow joe

Re: Bolt cutter broad head question

Post by longbow joe »

I harvested two bear with them great penitration short trail decent blood this was upstate from me ( big woods). Were i live in southeast pa very thick and jungle like i need a broadhead that does massive damage and massive blood so i dont loose a deer.The spitfire maxx has been the ticket very short trails since using. If i lived up north were i bear hunt i think i would use the boltcutter for everything. I think the boltcutter.slick trick and the ramcat(from china lol) are the best most accurate fixed heads you can shoot dont dought the boltcutter it will shoot great and kill quick if you hit an animal correctly
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I've tagged out every year for the last six years using boltcutters. None went over sixty yards after the shot. Shot placement is the key to quick kills. This is especially important if you are ground hunting. A high kill shot is fatal but it takes a little bit for the body cavity to fill and spill blood. A low kill shot will start spilling blood much more quickly and easier to track. Also lower shots virtually eliminates any string jumping as the deer has to drop down a few inches before he can leap. These are my observations. YMMV. :D
Hank
Boo

Post by Boo »

I don't use them, but I know that they've been successfully used on African game by the Excalibur boys.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

I think it's safe to say that they are one of the most forgiving broadleaf out there. They always seem to group acceptable and hit hard
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

They along with the 20 year old NAP Spitfire were rated highly in arrow tests ..Both no.1 ..

This is why i still use 3 blade nap spitfire made back in 90s and why at Wal-mart the point that is always sold out and other new rear deploying nap points sit there with dust on them...
grouse

Post by grouse »

I used boltcutters one year only, the first year I hunted with a crossbow. I shot at, and killed one deer with them and that deer dropped within sight. The next year I switched to slick tricks because it seemed like 4 blades might cut a little more tissue and (hopefully) blood vessels than 3 blades. I realize that you could say that following my logic, 6 blades would be better than 4. To me, 4 blades is the sweet spot covering north, south east and west while offering little enough resistance for most bows to push the arrow all of the way through. I have seen no accuracy advantage of three blades over 4.

I was satisfied with boltcutters and would use them again, I just have theoretical reasons to use a 4 blades head.
axiom
350 SE
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

I am happy with them, shot a deer last season... it died within sight of the initial impact. double lung.
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

We've killed a lot of moose and hogs with them never an issue.
drobinette

Post by drobinette »

Only shot one deer last year with the bolt cutters, but it left a great blood trail on a 190lb 7 point. The price coupled with the accuracy and hard hitting power are hard to beat.
2015 Grizzly
18" Diablos
Boltcutters