Sound suppression on Axiom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

WNYBILL

Sound suppression on Axiom

Post by WNYBILL »

In my research, I have decided the Dissipator Bar Kit is not very effective in suppressing sound but the S-5 dampeners are. Then I heard that I should forget trying to suppress the sound and just shoot it, that nothing would reduce the sound enough to do any good. What say you guys with a lot of experience? I am a great believer in the KISS theory.

Is the string supposed to rest against the S-5 dampeners, just touch or have a little clearance?

Bill
jefrohio

Re: Sound suppression on Axiom

Post by jefrohio »

I added the S5 when I went to a Flemish string on my ibex, A little added insurance against a dry fire in my opinion. you want a small gap between the
String and the bumper, about a quarter of an inch
Last edited by jefrohio on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The long limbed models i don't use Dis bars period! If'en i have a set of S 5's n i have the proper Riser i will use those. I like my string 3/16" off the bumpers
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
galamb

Post by galamb »

Best sound suppression on a crossbow is a good set of earplugs :)

You can reduce the vibration and make them "quieter" then they were before you added "stuff", but they are still plenty loud.

I have dis bars and S5's on my Vix II. Also added limbsavers just below the rail (the stick on Broadband's) - put some of the stick on strips on the stirrup and have string whiskers.

The best thing about the S5's is they let you know when you need to tighten your string :)

All that "stuff" really reduced the vibration and maybe made it a little more quiet but there is still no doubt when I pull the trigger and anyone within about 100 yards can still tell a crossbow was just fired.

You are not ever going to make it quiet enough to fool a spooky deer - it's going to hear it coming no matter what you do.

But it's fun trying, if your wallet can handle it :)
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
ageless mind

Post by ageless mind »

I too was in the same mind set about noise. IMO and as others have mentioned, a well made string,, dissipater bars and S5 will reduce the amount of after shot flexing. But not all are needed.
What i recently learned is what we hear at the trigger is different than what is heard say 15 feet away. The sound level of your bow is not as loud as you think. With this new discovery i focused on reducing felt vibration. I love the way my new to me axiom feels and shoots.
Tom

Post by Tom »

WNYBILL wrote:In my research, I have decided the Dissipator Bar Kit is not very effective in suppressing sound but the S-5 dampeners are. Then I heard that I should forget trying to suppress the sound and just shoot it, that nothing would reduce the sound enough to do any good. What say you guys with a lot of experience? I am a great believer in the KISS theory.

Is the string supposed to rest against the S-5 dampeners, just touch or have a little clearance?

Bill
In my opinion, you can not quiet the bow enough so that an animal will not hear it. If you are trying to quiet the bow for your comfort, then that is a different story.

Anything you add to the limbs or string will cost you FPS. The bumpers and or Dis-pads will help a little with the noise and not cost you FPS in arrow speed.

Now remember this, if your trying to get the bow quiet enough so it is difficult for an animal to hear (and you do suceed), you still have the sound of the arrow in flight, and that sound is going directly at he animal.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]