Confused newbie with ?s on broadhead wt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

malfar

Confused newbie with ?s on broadhead wt

Post by malfar »

I just bought my first xbow - a used Axiom. Came with a lot of Firebolts and 150 gr field tips. Shoots dead on with them, at least out to 50 yards. I'm looking for broadheads for deer - the 150 gr Boltcutters seem to be highly rated for accuracy but there seems to be a bit of concern over there size and ability to create a wound that results in a good blood trail. Just wondering if the concern is significant, or if I should look for other broadheads. Therein lies my dilemma - seems like my bow/scope is designed for 150 gr bolt heads, and there are almost no 150 grain broad heads. Do 125 grain broadheads shoot significantly different. Is it an option to add a 25 gr weight on a 125 gr broadhead - do people even do that . I really have no idea - I had never even shot a bow till I bought this one. I realize that I can tune my scope to shoot other weights, but as in gun hunting I tend to follow the KISS principle.
Thanks for the advice
SEW

Re: Confused newbie with ?s on broadhead wt

Post by SEW »

Slick Trick has a 150 & 175g version. Both would work well. The 170g FOC works great also. That arrow works better with at least a 150g broadhead. 175g is not too much.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The standard 1" Slick Trick has killed plenty of deer. In Africa, when the game got bigger and tougher, the Excalibur boys went from the 1 7/16" Exact to the 1 1/16" Bolt Cutter.
Nothing wrong with the Bolt Cutter.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

Vantage Point Archery has broadheads and small game heads from 85 grains all the way up to 300 grains.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr
Ekkie

Post by Ekkie »

SEW wrote:Slick Trick has a 150 & 175g version. Both would work well. The 170g FOC works great also. That arrow works better with at least a 150g broadhead. 175g is not too much.
I haven't been able to find the 175 grain XBow Tricks for a while now... not even online. Do you have a source for them? 150 grain Tricks are easy to find, and I do prefer them over the Bolt Cutter.

~E
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I shoot the 150gr BoltCutters out of my Axiom. However,I use Eastons 2219 aluminum arrows. I have never had problems with finding my deer since all shots are complete pass throughs using aluminum arrows. No problems with blood tracking. I have never tried any different broadheads due to the accuracy and pass through of the aluminum arrows.