Shipping and customs ? when coming from Canada

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L. E. Carroll

Shipping and customs ? when coming from Canada

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I also posted something to this effect in the OT section, but thought I'd give it a shot here also.

When a business or manufacture in Canada ships directly to a customer in the US is customs involved and do items often get "Hung Up" there ?

I ask as seasons getting very very close and I'm waiting on a "must have" part from up there for my Micro. :roll:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
drobinette

Re: Shipping and customs ? when coming from Canada

Post by drobinette »

I ordered a Matrix 350 from Al's in Toronto and it was shipped on a Wednesday and I received it in Virginia on the next Monday, only 5 days later. To my surprise, the Canada Post Tracking continued to update and even let me know it was out for delivery. USPS and Canada Post must have some sort of network integration for that to happen. Hope it arrives soon!
2015 Grizzly
18" Diablos
Boltcutters
janesy

Post by janesy »

I've shipped and received a riser over the past couple weeks with no hold ups. It depends on whether it's shipped personal, or if a business is shipping it and whether or not there are taxes to be exchanged
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
galamb

Post by galamb »

I did customs paperwork for a logistics company for a lot of years for products shipped from business to both business/private citizens back and forth (US to Canada and Canada to the US).

The ease at which it passes through customs really depends on how well the forms were filled out by the shipper. If buying from a business they are usually well used to adding TSUS numbers (just a number that identifies what the item or part is and what duties/taxes apply to the item on whichever side of the border) - having the number on the documents also saves customs trying to guess at what the description means and possibly opening the package for additional screening.

Now, it's been a few years, but items that were made in Canada or made anywhere in US/Canada/Mexico that were going to the US were duty free "period" - your State may however, collect sales taxes.

In general, for items made outside of a NAFTA country, the duty exemption was $250 for items bound for the US and a "whopping" $20 for items coming into Canada.

US Customs does want to know: where it came from, what is it, what's it worth, who it's going to and is it dangerous. Canada Customs has a single question: Who is going to pay the taxes :)

And yes, the post office's on both sides of the border have reciprocal agreements as far as tracking etc goes and they handle the "brokerage" for minimal bucks. UPS will burn you on "brokerage fees" - if you use a courier, FEDEX is far more economical on the "import charges". If the Canadian Company ships "Purolator" you will most likely get your package from USPS (whatever your express parcel service is from them).

If I was "personally" shipping an item to the US, I would use FEDEX (which I do for my Flea-Bay shipments - cheaper than Canada Post and quicker service, but FEDEX is not a "common carrier" used by business up here).

And that's about as much as I remember..
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Thank's for all of the great info..... I'm actually on the lookout for a warranty replacement TT trigger for my Micro 335, and deer season opened yesterday. :roll: I really enjoyed it for the long walks cross country hunting mulies last fall.

Elk will open in 8 more days on the 10th of Sept. and I really want it here and sighted back in by then.

I intend to have it as a back up in the small 10' Scamp trailer due to it's smaller size for either the 355 Matrix or 380, which ever I grab as I head out the door to hunt Elk with ? :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier