Moving to Maryland

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mayhem

Moving to Maryland

Post by mayhem »

Moving to Maryland.... any advice for hunting?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Andrew Miller, Mayhem
xcaliber

Re: Moving to Maryland

Post by xcaliber »

I drove through a part of Maryland two years ago in August, we seen a lot of deer in the fields. My BIL lives in Delaware and has been very successful every year. Best advice I could offer, find a lease out there on a Farm, and good luck!

Much success wished for you my hunting brother! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

privateland has deer .i hunted olney,md and got 12 point back in 1965 ...getting permission to hunt privateland is hard..
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

sproulman wrote:privateland has deer .i hunted olney,md and got 12 point back in 1965 ...getting permission to hunt privateland is hard..
It has not gotten any easier i bet. I did not look for land either. My BIL is an electrical / software engineer. He met up with folks from Purdue and got on some great land. He does not hunt public land, again, prime spot, prime deer!
mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Well it will be an interesting move....thank you all so far for the advice.... it is greatly appreciated...
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Hoping you have a great move. It takes guts to uproot, and ball* to start anew. Do great, and rewards come! :wink:
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

xcaliber wrote:
sproulman wrote:privateland has deer .i hunted olney,md and got 12 point back in 1965 ...getting permission to hunt privateland is hard..
It has not gotten any easier i bet. I did not look for land either. My BIL is an electrical / software engineer. He met up with folks from Purdue and got on some great land. He does not hunt public land, again, prime spot, prime deer!
I hunted from my sisters yard next to nuns retirement home..I wish you could have seen Bucks i saw in 60s there..it was unreal 10/15 with 8 to 12 point racks 20 inch spreads ,140 points easy .I was worried all the time my buck almost ran down street those people there are anti hunting and will have you arrested..

last time i was down they sold land for 10 million and now million dollar homes on it ....This was Montgomery county ,md..
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Watched a show with Jim Shockey were he was hunting Sika deer in Maryland.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

What part of Maryland? The handle has good public hunting . I used to live in pa. an hunted WV. an VA. every year lots of national forest land with good deer ,turkey and bear hunting available
Good luck
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
2davidh

Post by 2davidh »

Go to the DNR website or get a state hunting guide. We have a good number of lottery hunts for archery and slug guns. The odds are not that bad. You just need to have the vacation time or work schedule to take off on a weekday.
mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Thanks all for the great information. I do have the vacation time to take time off during the week... that's not much of a problem. I'm still tossing around either Maryland of Virginia.. and working in DC.... i'm heading there first, once wife gets job then rest of family will come.... my new job starts sometime in October....
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

mayhem wrote:Thanks all for the great information. I do have the vacation time to take time off during the week... that's not much of a problem. I'm still tossing around either Maryland of Virginia.. and working in DC.... i'm heading there first, once wife gets job then rest of family will come.... my new job starts sometime in October....
cheaper to live in virginia than md .
Eck

Post by Eck »

If you are a shooter (firearms) there is no competition - Virginia hand down.
Micro 335
Matrix 380
Boofest 2016 Matrix 330
Trigger Techs all around
125 gr. QAD Exodus (Micro) 100 gr Slicks otherwise
Strings by Vixenmaster
Arrows by Xcaliber
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Virginia is far more firearm friendly and slightly cheaper which is relative since the whole area is expensive. Frederick County, Maryland and Loudoun County, Virginia have lots of deer. MD has more public land in the key locations, but they get plenty of pressure. Private land is awesome if you can gain access. The antlered archery season comes in a few weeks earlier in MD (9 Sep), but in Loudoun County, VA I can deer hunt in one for or another from 3 September 2016 until 30 April 2017 with the only limit being 3 bucks in a season. You can buy and fill doe tags until your sick of'em.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

You will love it there. Plenty of tags, depending on which area you are in.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks