I should have listened!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Opey

I should have listened!

Post by Opey »

Back in April I was looking at getting bolts for my new 405. Since I'm new to shooting a crossbow I got advice from a couple experienced guys that gave me a guy to call and special order bolts, but to stay away from Diablo bolts. So I read up and honestly didn't understand a lot about setting up my bolt request plus I was impatient and wanted to shoot ASAP. Well now I know what I'm getting for Christmas. I have one bolt that I could hit a dime from 40 yards every time. My other 3 bolts 2 to 3 inches off every shot. That's shooting the Diablo bolts.
Boo

Re: I should have listened!

Post by Boo »

Three questions for you Open.
Have you tried using different vanes as the cock vane yet?
Have you considered making your own arrows?
Last but more importantly, how dI'd you keep your smokes dry? :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
janesy

Post by janesy »

Try rotating each arrow one vane at a time and see if they shoot better.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

So you also had Custom arrows made n they are bad. Thats not good
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Opey

Post by Opey »

Thanks for the advice guys . I'll try it all. But no I have not used different vanes for the cock vane yet. As far as making my own bolts, I have a lot more to learn.
As far as my cigar, it's just a matter of priorities. Can't let that get wet!
To the last responder. No I have not used custom bolts.

I really need to stop the knee jerk reaction and ask for advice before I start placing blame on the Diablo bolts.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Dumb question but what weight heads are you using?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Opey

Post by Opey »

xcaliber wrote:Dumb question but what weight heads are you using?
150grain
Everything I have is Excalibur and what they recommend. From the case to the bolt cutters.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

OK sounds like something else might be the problem. Although the stock arrows are not the best you could get, they aren't the worst either. Using the heavy tip should give you acceptable accuracy at hunting distances.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Opey

Post by Opey »

They are all kill shots! I just can't get bolts 2,3,&4 to be consistent. Trying to get her tuned in to 2 inch groups.
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

Opey wrote:They are all kill shots! I just can't get bolts 2,3,&4 to be consistent. Trying to get her tuned in to 2 inch groups.
Like others have stated try rotating Arrows 2,3 &4 marking each vane with a dry erace marker to keep track of which vane you used as the cock vain. At some point 2,3 and 4 will group better with Arrow #1, now use your sharpie permanent marker and mark each cock vein and use that every time down in your rail.
Before I started shooting spine indexed arrows I would buy 2 6packs of arrows and used this method to identify the six that grouped the best and returned the others.
Jefro
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

vixenmaster wrote:So you also had Custom arrows made n they are bad. Thats not good

As mike said i believe the micro bows in my case have to have the better arrows..if you go to 16.5 inch arrows stock quills they will shoot better than my gt custom 18 inch arrows..i believe the stiffer spine of shorter arrow helps ..

i am having fits with my 18 inch gt arrows custom spined...3 will shoot deadly and maybe 3 will shoot way off and as said TURN vanes and they will come in close to others ..

but should we have to do this with arrows that are matched etc....

i believe without knowing much that longer arrow with .005 with fast bows like micro 335 just cannot handle speeds.i have friends bought the PRO arrows which are .001 and cut them to 16.5 inchs on micro and they shoot well....

but what do i know only guess from shooting these arrows for 1 month 4 hrs per day trying to find out what is happening..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Opey wrote:They are all kill shots! I just can't get bolts 2,3,&4 to be consistent. Trying to get her tuned in to 2 inch groups.
It is your arrows and even if they were matched..turning vanes helps and going to stiffer arrow may help...read my post of 4 weeks per day testing these arrows,squaring them ,sandbags ,level on bow,level the shooting rests ,made sure your eye is dead center on cheekpiece ,squeeze the trigger ,no wind,small dot on white paper at 30 yards ,pulled the string back perfect ,scope turned up to highest setting to see dot better ,points perfect spitfire 100 practice point ..

last but not least some saying shoot them at water mocassins or squirreals ..i believe length/spine and arrow itself is cause..