Bolts for Black Bear

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TrekJeff

Bolts for Black Bear

Post by TrekJeff »

At a bit of a loss with all the options in the market. I'm looking for new bolts to get me into the 425ish weight (Or what you Veteran bear hunters suggest) using a 100gBH.

I shoot an Equinox and have only shot 20" bolts from it.
If you are an avid black bear hunting your opinion is appreciated. Heading up to the UP of Michigan in less than 2 weeks. :?:

This is my first time bear hunting and I'm a bit concern that everything is set up properly. Thanks
Squirrel

Re: Bolts for Black Bear

Post by Squirrel »

You should be fine with firebolts and boltcutters.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I killed 2 bear with regular everday boltcutters and firebolts. Any arrow you use for deer will kill a bear. I normally use a spitfire for deer but i like the better penitrating boltcutter for bear . Good luck post a pic. Of your bear. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I used this on my bear last week. Outstanding results as long as you do your part with shot placement.

16.5" zombie shaft.
Lumenok rear insert
2" sk vanes
110gr brass front insert
125 exodus broad head.

Total weight 425gr...

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Black Eagle Zombie Slayer's, 9.1 gpi
110 grain brass inserts
8 grain plastic nocks rear
18 grains for the vanes
2 for glue
100 grain heads
418 total.
Should do the trick!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
TrekJeff

Post by TrekJeff »

You guys talked me into it...sent Dave from Wyvern a message...holding off for now. If he can't get something to me in a week, I'll pick up some pile drivers...still havn't found a decent illuminated nock for those though.
Moonwolf

Post by Moonwolf »

For bear I like double wall arrows like Firenock Aerobolt II or custom made arrows that are double wall .I had good luck with the heavy Easton FMJ but they can bend :D
Hamsters
Bee Keeper we have 45 active hives
Single looking for a young pretty wife
Excalibur and Mission crossbows
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

I shot my Bear with factory arrows (Firebolts) and my broadhead was NAP Spitfire MAX 125 grain. They now have them in a crossbow head. Just heavier retention clip. My shot was about 28 yards and the Arrow when right thru the Bear. The Bear went about 40 yards. I was shooting a Excalibur Vortex. The main thing is your shot placement. Good luck and post pics.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I shot one Tuesday at 20 yards with a diablo arrow which is 250 grain arrow and a 125 grain fixed blade Broadhead for a total wt. of 375 grain went through the bear like butter bear went 35 yards . Aim for double lung they go down quick .
TrekJeff

Post by TrekJeff »

Talked with Dave from Wyvern's. He set me up with the 20" executioners. FOC measures of to 19%and is consistent with all 6 with the balance point right on the 0 of the 1,00 marking. Got home too late to send any down range, but I like what I see. With luminoks, they weigh in consistently just shy of 400gn... Looking forward to seeing how these perform in the Equinox.