Loud equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

T.Johnson

Loud equinox

Post by T.Johnson »

Are there any ways to quiet it down any? I know it's not gonna be as quiet as some of the newer bows
Normous

Re: Loud equinox

Post by Normous »

1- Shoot a heavier arrow.
2- add cat whiskers near the string loops.
3- use a heavier custom string.

All three will dampen noise.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Normous wrote:1- Shoot a heavier arrow.
2- add cat whiskers near the string loops.
3- use a heavier custom string.

All three will dampen noise.
X2 !!!
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I recall the good old days when sitting in the same patch of woods as a hunting buddy and hearing the sound of success from across the way, what a happy sound. I knew either a deer was down or an annoying squirrel. :D There are advantages such as taking some of the shock/vibration away from the shot. All three examples above are good ways to quiet a bow down but only the first is really an advantage imho. Why slow down your bow only to make it quieter? I said quietER. Shes never going to be Quiet. The deafest, dumbest deer will still hear it no matter what ya do.

Some things that wont cause fps loss: wooden stock, wrap the stirrup, shrink wrap the arrow retaining spring, string stop(debatable), foam inside the rail. I'm sure there are more that don't come to me right this second. I used to try to quiet down my bows, now I just chase speed and don't care much about the sound my bow makes.

my opinion only
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I am not bein a smart a$$ is the noise fer you or the deer ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

The S5 will help with noise and vibration
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I am a Equinox Shooter also and the best advise I can give you is you are not going to get it quiet enough that a deer will not here it , I feel it is best not to go over board in this area keep shots 35 yards and under at relaxed deer and the bow will be the last sound it ever hears. You will get used to the noise.
I would invest in string stoppers for a dry fire insurance of sorts and I did wrap my stirup with inner tube rubber and that is it for me.
Be careful wrapping the foot stirup if you use something to thick it can contact your veins and cause arrow kick.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I have been shooting an equinox for 7 seasons now and have killed deer with it every year, I have never had one jump the string and missed it, by the time the deer hear it, it's too late, BUT" I am a close up hunter, I do not shoot if it's
out of my comfort zone, which is 30 yds. and under, preferably 20,and under. :wink: I started bow hunting when you had to be close, so with all that said, stop worrying about the noise !!! the most important thing is accuracy, and shot placement. Now if you want to shoot out to 50-60 yds. then you need to tame her down a bit....... J.M.H.O.

Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Trust me,don't worry about the noise. As the previous poster said, it will be too late when and if the deer hears anything. I've killed a passel of hogs and turkeys with my nox. They never knew what hit them.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
WNYBILL

Post by WNYBILL »

Had a deer jump the string, BUT, I was resting the bow on the top rail of my tree stand/house. Top rail was connected to 4x6 plywood side and, I believe the plywood side acted like a sounding board. I now use a sand bag between stand and bow.

I believe in string bumpers and wrapping the stirrup and maybe foam inside the rail. All to stop the vibration, you are shooting a big tuning fork!

Now, please tell me what shrink wrapping the arrow retainer does, except create drag on the arrow. I can't believe the retainer vibrates????? What am I missing?

We have identical Axioms, but one had S-5 bumpers and the stirrup is wrapped. Standing 20 yards off to the side and there is a big difference in shooting noise.

Bill
Normous

Post by Normous »

WNYBILL wrote: Now, please tell me what shrink wrapping the arrow retainer does, except create drag on the arrow. I can't believe the retainer vibrates????? What am I missing
Bill
Wrapping the retainer end eliminates that slight "ting" sound hitting the mainframe surface at the shot.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The dr stririp db killers on the limbs definately work i like them worth the money . Bumper air bags good too. Velcro on the retainer is way quieter than the wrap i just went to velcro this year love it
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
WNYBILL

Post by WNYBILL »

What are "dr stririp db killers"? If it is tape, are you covering the limbs or just using a strip on the front of the limb? Are you using the "stick on" velcro? The loop side or the fuzzy side?

Foam in the rail???? How about spraying foam insulation into the rail? Light, weather proof, sticks to everything and can be trimmed with a sharp knife.

Bill
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I shoot an Equinox which has the S5s. Just a note on sound. Sound travels about 1125'/sec & your Equinox shoots about 330/340'/sec. This means that the deer would have about 1/4 sec to react sound to arrow impact at 25/35 yards. I would not be concerned about the noise.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
kamont

Post by kamont »

Age will quiet all bows, not the bow's age but yours. :D :D Be thankful you can hear it, shoot and have fun.