Had a great first day great to be out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

Had a great first day great to be out

Post by longbow joe »

Had nice cool weather today on the first day of se pennsylvania archery the season starts early this year and its been really hot .In pa we only get one buck tag so i try to be really carefull to wait and pick the biggest buck i can get .my luck usually is around halloween on till the end but its nice to be allowed out again knowing a big buck dosnt follow a rulebook is reason to be out anytime.Knowing lots of does are around is like insurance for the rut. Im trying not to disturbe the gals. Image[/URL]
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Goose52

Re: Had a great first day great to be out

Post by Goose52 »

joe, reading ur post & seeing ur pic has me kicking myself for having dragged my feet getting a license. hope a hat rack comes out soon for u & thanks for the jump start!
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thanks goose good luck to you too.The weather lady says 90s coming again this week so its gonna put the brakes on things again.I guess well just take this thing as it goes and go out on the cool days until this thing passes. cooler weather has gotta come eventually.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

That's a real good sign Joe, no doe tags?
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

longbow joe wrote:Had nice cool weather today on the first day of se pennsylvania archery the season starts early this year and its been really hot .In pa we only get one buck tag so i try to be really carefull to wait and pick the biggest buck i can get .my luck usually is around halloween on till the end but its nice to be allowed out again knowing a big buck dosnt follow a rulebook is reason to be out anytime.Knowing lots of does are around is like insurance for the rut. Im trying not to disturbe the gals. Image[/URL]
Bucks do not like heat..lol...I actually like you only shoot BUCKS doe are too easy for me but i saw great times hunting in pa in 60s..We did kill doe then but today if you see 4 doe in week in wmu2g you are lucky...
rut week i stay in my stand ALL DAY but warm weather is making bucks noc-turnal our cameras are showing 10pm and on..
acreek

Post by acreek »

Always good to see a doe with a pair of fawns. You know she's a good momma.

I don't think temps have all that much to do with deer movement in the early season because the deer still have their thinner summer coats. We here in Wisconsin have had a hot summer which has continued into September, and I still have more bucks moving in daylight than at night. I also know of a friend with 160 acres that his biggest buck moves more at midday than it does when it's cooler at night. I think pressure is what turns the deer nocturnal more so than temps, at least here.

My biggest concern hunting warm weather is that it's much easier to leave human scent lingering in the area of your stands. I like to hunt when it's cool so in case I don't shoot the buck I'm after, I also don't sweat and alert the deer that I was there four hours earlier waiting for him. My lightest weight scent blocker camo lets me hunt in upper 50s, maybe to 61-62 degrees. I won't risk it any higher.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

He made about 2 hours on C/T,, wonder how long he'll last here. It's a cry'n shame this cat can't stay on his med's!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Big Pard

Post by Big Pard »

PETANJ wrote:"When it comes to having a central nervous system, and the ability to feel pain, hunger, and thirst, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy"

Would you shoot and kill a kid?
Idiots like this will try to put Hillary in the whitehouse...
Micro 335
Dead Zone Scope
Vixenmaster String
Munch Mount
Zombie Slayers
100gr Slick Trick
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Yep I usually don't get in a hurry and only one buck per year her also. But I will put five like the momma away every year,,, that's some of the finest eat'n there is

Specially around here as they are all grain fed,,,, my main purpose is to fill the freezer with the best eat'n around, but every year I'm look'n fer one big enough for the trip to the taxidermist. If I can't find nothin worth the trip,, all 6 will wear beeches,,,,,
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Hey Joe,, ya think you'll make it here longer than ya did on C/T,,, why do you always have disrupt other folks post,,, what did the OP do to you to deserve your total disrespect????
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I don't goat hunt but if I did and like the meat,, heck ya!! Probably pretty tender compared to the big Rams,, but I think they are protected,,,, like I say I am not a goat hunter!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

bda, du, bda, du, bda, bda, come on Joe,,,, your studerin,,, spit it out!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

acreek wrote:Always good to see a doe with a pair of fawns. You know she's a good momma.

I don't think temps have all that much to do with deer movement in the early season because the deer still have their thinner summer coats. We here in Wisconsin have had a hot summer which has continued into September, and I still have more bucks moving in daylight than at night. I also know of a friend with 160 acres that his biggest buck moves more at midday than it does when it's cooler at night. I think pressure is what turns the deer nocturnal more so than temps, at least here.

My biggest concern hunting warm weather is that it's much easier to leave human scent lingering in the area of your stands. I like to hunt when it's cool so in case I don't shoot the buck I'm after, I also don't sweat and alert the deer that I was there four hours earlier waiting for him. My lightest weight scent blocker camo lets me hunt in upper 50s, maybe to 61-62 degrees. I won't risk it any higher.
Dont let GARY ALT destroy your deer hunting as he did in pa.he issued all these doe tags and now we have very few deer left in wmu2g.if i see 4 deer a week thats a lot ...yes last week bucks were moving at 9 am heading for water and yes hunting pressure changes everything...