gerald strine

Fun with old guns

Post by gerald strine »

Remington 12
http://s897.photobucket.com/user/1642re ... 4.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

http://s897.photobucket.com/user/1642re ... 2.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

Stevens 311

http://s897.photobucket.com/user/1642re ... 6.jpg.html]Image[/URL]

I picked up some vintage firearms from an estate sale this summer A Remington Model 12c .22 pump with octagonal barrel and a Stevens 311 side by side 20 gauge , and have been itching to use them .
Well small game has opened on the 15th and I am smitten on that Remington I missed my first couple of shots they were tuff ones but have nailed the last three. My old eyes are not helping but with a low power set of reading glasses I can get the job done I just wish i had this gun twenty years ago.
Bow season opens Oct 1st here so now is the time to play with the new toys but boy it is warm.
Any one else pick up some new toys to play with ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Re: Fun with old guns

Post by gerald strine »

jwellsy wrote:My Excalibur Grizzly that I got last month is my first XB.

Earlier this year I picked up a Savage muzzleloader that's designed to shoot smokeless powder. 21" twist with a 21" barrel.

Last week I picked up a Winchester trap gun with a 32" barrel that I'm going to mod for card shoots.
What is a card shoot?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Ok thanks I actually did that once with a turkey profile with an x , I did not win.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have one of the 311s in 12 guage the previous owner had opened up the chokes to almost imp. Cyl you think that would be bad but this thing throws number 4 hevi shot like a dream i can shoot geese ducks n pheasant with the same load it still throws a great pattern with number 8 shot under 40 yards for dove n grouse . One year i electrical taped a leupold 3x9 scope on it for my nephew for deer he was getting 2 inch groups at 50 yards with foster slugs,he got a nice 8 pointer with it .I have a lot of guns but this would be the last to go.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Sounds like you and that 311 have had some good times.
I was concerned about using steel shot in mine as it is an old gun .
Also it is only chambered for 2 3/4 inch shells and every duck load is 3 inch around here.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I was gifted a beautiful M94 Winchester 30 WCF last evening in nearly new condition with the hooded front sight and correct era leather military style sling and origional buckhorn sights. It was made in 1949 ( I ran the serial number) I'm not sure this piece had been out of the gun safe very many times as none of the screws appear to have ever seen a screw driver.

I got this as a show of appreciation for a good 2 weeks help clearing 5 1/4 acres of blackberries with my Kubota 4x4 tractor and brush hog, laying about 800 sq feet of Laminate flooring and power washing the outside of his ( new to he and his wife, but older ) double wide mobile home and 4 bay 28 x 40 shop before they moved in.

I kept refusing anything, as he is a great long time friend who used to be one of my favorite apprentices while working at the R/R. We have spent many hunting seasons sharing the woods and campfires. I actually found it in my back seat upon my arrivial home from his place after a wonderful dinner complete with some pretty nice wine.

Some years back he also "gifted" me a beautiful Maruku O/U fully engraved 12 ga. trap gun, and I thought that was way over the top as far as gifts between friends go. :shock: :shock: :D ( as I had only given him a nice pair of Leupold Binos at that point.)

I see I don't have a monoply on all of the old beauties out there but am sure adding some nice pieces to my collection. :D

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Wow Gene it must feel like Christmas !
That sounds like a real beauty i bet you are getting excited to get it to the range!
A very nice reward for your helping hand.
Got any pictures ?
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I wish pictures were and option but with a touch screen tablet as my whole means of communicating here, I don't know how to make that happen.... but rest assured they are both beautiful pieces.

Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Hi Gene I think this is like your new winchester its a beauty.

http://s897.photobucket.com/user/1642re ... 1.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Mines that PURDY but has the full length magazine tube below the 20" barrel.... Yours looks new ! Is it origional or has she been dressed up a bit to this new condition? Either way, she's a show piece.

Gene
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Scamp tralier
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Mines that PURDY but has the full length magazine tube below the 20" barrel.... Yours looks new ! Is it origional or has she been dressed up a bit to this new condition? Either way, she's a show piece.

Gene
Hi Gene that is not my gun I just pulled up the picture on google when you mentioned you could not post a picture.
I like your new gun a real classic.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I've got a Remington 12 just like yours. A great little squirrel rifle and plinker. I love the old time guns. Most of my rifles are 50+ years old. And one is 101 but it still shoots fine.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Ive got the Stevens 311 in .410 and I use it all of the time. It is my "go to" squirrel gun when I am hunting with my dogs! Whoever comes with me totes a .22 and gets to shoot em but if they miss I get to have a little fun. It will flat knock em out. A MEC .410 reloader came with it and I have enough shells for a lifetime. I would love to have a 16 or a 20 in the same gun!
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

canoe13 wrote:I've got a Remington 12 just like yours. A great little squirrel rifle and plinker. I love the old time guns. Most of my rifles are 50+ years old. And one is 101 but it still shoots fine.
I have several old single shot, shot guns and love using them.
What is the 101 years old gun you have ?
I just saw your post about the model 12 you have you are correct it is a great squirrel gun , I have been taking mine out on short deer scouting /squirrel hunts and I have grown very attached to the old Rem model 12 - .22 in no time, I love the way it handles,the style really every thing about it , I have only taken 5 squirrels with it on a few short hunts but it is very satisfying using the iron sights on a classic gun , fun stuff.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Pickwick wrote:Ive got the Stevens 311 in .410 and I use it all of the time. It is my "go to" squirrel gun when I am hunting with my dogs! Whoever comes with me totes a .22 and gets to shoot em but if they miss I get to have a little fun. It will flat knock em out. A MEC .410 reloader came with it and I have enough shells for a lifetime. I would love to have a 16 or a 20 in the same gun!
I bet that Stevens 311 in 410 is so sweet, it has to be very light and nimble !
I really like my 20 gauge but have only hunted with it once , it is not fancy but is is a very nice shot gun , light , no extra bulk, pulls and swings nice !
If I come across another in a different gauge I will be VERY tempted to buy.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.