Stripped stock to rail screw holes ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L. E. Carroll

Stripped stock to rail screw holes ?

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I installed my new replacement TT trigger in the micro just a few minutes ago and stripped the threads out in the screw hole in front of the trigger ( while tightening the stock to rail screws ) which is 1 of the 2 screws that attach the stock to the rail. I know this has been discussed several times previously, but at that stage it was not an issue I had ever been faced with. :oops: So can someone give me " The Fix" as to what to drill it out to and what size do I re-tap it to? I understand it will require a 3/4" screw but I'm not sure of thread pitch nor screw size.... :oops: :roll:

All help appreciated.

Thanx, Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
flightattendant100

Re: Stripped stock to rail screw holes ?

Post by flightattendant100 »

I think those are 10-32 screw size , so larger than that. I couldn't find any size 12 locally that had similar head so I went to. 6mm. Then had to enlarge the countersink in stock :( . You might call Danny and ask, I know he has done a gillion.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Normally we do it with a threaded insert . That way it stays as a 10-32 .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

L. E. Carroll wrote:I installed my new replacement TT trigger in the micro just a few minutes ago and stripped the threads out in the screw hole in front of the trigger ( while tightening the stock to rail screws ) which is 1 of the 2 screws that attach the stock to the rail. I know this has been discussed several times previously, but at that stage it was not an issue I had ever been faced with. :oops: So can someone give me " The Fix" as to what to drill it out to and what size do I re-tap it to? I understand it will require a 3/4" screw but I'm not sure of thread pitch nor screw size.... :oops: :roll:

All help appreciated.

Thanx, Gene
I wonder if you could use self tapping screw in hole instead of drilling it out etc ..
Boo

Post by Boo »

Doe Master wrote:Normally we do it with a threaded insert . That way it stays as a 10-32 .
Kevin, is this what you guys are using?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I stripped one on m y Micro Nightmare and used a 12-28 screw. It worked just fine.

I couldn't find black though, so I did some research and found that boiling lemon juice will strip off zinc plating. Did that and then was able to blue the screws myself.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Normous

Post by Normous »

I made my own simple fix using a 1" x 3/8" aluminum x 3/16" thick aluminum piece.

Slide the above piece in place inside the mainframe. Next carefully center and mark the mainframe/stock hole. Remove and drill and tap (10-32).

Lastly, JB weld and secure the aluminum piece inside the mainframe directly above the stock to mainframe hole.

The 3/16" piece is thicker than the mainframe material and provides more thread bite. Also the 1" wide aluminum section will not rotate inside the mainframe.

Done, you can now use your stock screw. The 3 repairs I have done for friends Excalibur's show no issue with this repair.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Helicoil. :wink:

My 380 has been wearing one (with several trigger changes in between btw) since 2014:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... =1&t=52703

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Yes Don that is like what we use . Drill the hole for the insert then place insert in the hole and squeeze like a pop rivet gun .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Thank's guys for all of the great "fix's" I spoke with Mike at Excal today and he wants me to return the rail for their modification as well as addressing a issue or two with a couple other parts of the bow to get the speed up to that which is posted for my Micro.... It's going out in the mail tomorrow as I have an RMA now and everything is good to go at this point.

Again, thank's for all of the great advise.
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Last edited by sproulman on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

Here's what I installed in mine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XyCTh23Z6o0
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
Buttonsonly

Post by Buttonsonly »

:eusa-deadhorse:
L. E. Carroll wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:38 am
I installed my new replacement TT trigger in the micro just a few minutes ago and stripped the threads out in the screw hole in front of the trigger ( while tightening the stock to rail screws ) which is 1 of the 2 screws that attach the stock to the rail. I know this has been discussed several times previously, but at that stage it was not an issue I had ever been faced with. :oops: So can someone give me " The Fix" as to what to drill it out to and what size do I re-tap it to? I understand it will require a 3/4" screw but I'm not sure of thread pitch nor screw size.... :oops: :roll:

All help appreciated.

Thanx, Gene
My old screw fell out of my micro and I was wonder what size bolt it needs. It the bolt that holds the rail on the forearm
Hatchet

Post by Hatchet »

Threads are 10- 32 I believe. Not sure on length though.
Take care
Hatchet
Boo

Post by Boo »

Buttonsonly wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:22 pm
:eusa-deadhorse:
L. E. Carroll wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:38 am

All help appreciated.

Thanx, Gene
My old screw fell out of my micro and I was wonder what size bolt it needs. It the bolt that holds the rail on the forearm
You will be best advised to call Excalibur. They'll send you one.
Some people just like stepping on rakes