Recommendation for beginner

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rds4020

Recommendation for beginner

Post by Rds4020 »

So I am looking to get my first crossbow. I have never done any archery before. When I was looking to start bow hunting I had 4 fingers amputated. I have been out of hunting for several years now so I am looking to start again. I have been looking around I want the Excalibur brand but I don't know which model. So I would like some suggestions. I am mainly going to be deer hunting from a stand. So any suggestions will be appreciated.
CalhounWV

Re: Recommendation for beginner

Post by CalhounWV »

First, check your local hunting regulations. ( required arrow length, draw weight max or minimums ). Visit your local Excalibur dealer and see which bows fit you well, shoot them and choose the one you like best. Personally I really enjoy my Matrix Grizzly.
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Dependin on the budget, Matrix has the speed n power. The Micro is smaller n lighter but is harder to cock. Upper poundage models you may consider a C2 crank. I have the Matrix 350SE n i feel fer the price its a very nice model to have. Micro 335 is the middle model of them n it would do all you need of one of that model
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Rather-B-Huntin

Post by Rather-B-Huntin »

If your primary quarry will be deer from a stand, it's hard to argue with he merits of the Excalibur Matrix Grizzly. More than ample performance at a very reasonable price. If you can afford a little more, the Micro 335 is an awesome bow. Those are the two that I recommend the most to my customers.
THE HUNTER'S ZONE
Best Deals on Excalibur Crossbows and Accessories in the Eastern USA!!! Check us out on Facebook!
Rds4020

Post by Rds4020 »

CalhounWV wrote:First, check your local hunting regulations. ( required arrow length, draw weight max or minimums ). Visit your local Excalibur dealer and see which bows fit you well, shoot them and choose the one you like best. Personally I really enjoy my Matrix Grizzly.
From what I can read in Iowa legislation the only requirement is a permit for disable which I already have. I can see no requirements for bolt lengths or draw weights.
mmc

Post by mmc »

Great, no restrictions rds4020! Next step is to go cock and shoot a few different models to learn which one you are most comfortable with. An Excalibur dealer or a Cabelas or Basspro Shops store in your area...?

Once you are ready to buy, put a Stringing Aid on the counter for that model because you'll need one immediately (and often) to adjust brace height on your new Xbow. On the way home stop at an auto parts store and get some Loctite Threadlocker (Blue formula) 'cause you'll need it on every small screw on the bow to prevent them loosening while shooting.

Have fun with it!
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
Rds4020

Post by Rds4020 »

mmc wrote:Great, no restrictions rds4020! Next step is to go cock and shoot a few different models to learn which one you are most comfortable with. An Excalibur dealer or a Cabelas or Basspro Shops store in your area...?

Once you are ready to buy, put a Stringing Aid on the counter for that model because you'll need one immediately (and often) to adjust brace height on your new Xbow. On the way home stop at an auto parts store and get some Loctite Threadlocker (Blue formula) 'cause you'll need it on every small screw on the bow to prevent them loosening while shooting.

Have fun with it!
I have a bass pro 30 miles south of me. Do they let you test shoot?
As far as the Loctite goes I work as a mechanic so I already have some in my toolbox.
Do I need to apply it before I ever shoot the bow?
mmc

Post by mmc »

Call BassPro and ask them... And yeah, you'll need to adjust the string brace height (string stretches a lot in initial shooting, so buy a stringing aid or make your own from Amsteel) and loctite all the screws before you shoot. The factory screws have very soft heads, so snug fitting Allen wrenches with no worn or rounded edges are imperative, else you'll strip the allen sockets out in the screws right away.

I am an oldtimer mechanic as well, and prefer to coat all screw threads with common automotive black hi-temp silicone gasket maker, rather than the blue loctite. Its a thing I learned from my late model racing days... silicone every screw/bolt threads on the car else it'll eventually fall off the car.... the silicone grabs and holds if the threads are clean and when its time to remove the screw or bolt they come apart easily. Loctite is overkill... and the soft Excal screw heads may/will strip out when its time to break that bond loose.

Never shoot an Excal Xbow until the brace height is properly adjusted (by adding twists to the bowstring). When brand new, fresh out of the box, the brace height is ALWAYS way off.
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range