Broadhead Suggestions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bluewater23

Broadhead Suggestions

Post by Bluewater23 »

Hi All

I just recently purchased my 1st crossbow.... The Matrix Grizzly. I was hoping you all can give me some suggestions for broadheads to use with this crossbow. I'm just deer hunting with this bow.

I have the Diablo bolts that came with it. Thoughts on these bolts? I was thinking of getting the Luminok Diablo bolts but if there are better suggestions.... I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance

Chris
jefrohio

Re: Broadhead Suggestions

Post by jefrohio »

Stick with 150 grain broadheads with the Diablos. Bolt cutters, slick tricks, and Cabela's stk-3 all come in 150 grain.
If you decide to go with different arrows make sure they have a a 92 gr. Brass insert. You'll then have a wide selection of broadheads to choose from. Jefro
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....Welcome aboard to the forum Bluewater...and I can attest to that bow being a tack driver even out to long distances with factory arra's...not that I own one but I have shot against one at a recent 3D shoot....very impressed!

....Check out the first posting in this group of Crossbow Hunting....It is "Arrow and Bow Combinations for Forum Members"....you will get some ideas there and i am sure others will chirp in...

....again nice to have you as part of the group....why not complete your registration indicating where you hail from...it helps us to help you when questions are asked! :wink:

....May your hunting season provided you with nothing but clear blue waters ahead!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

The Grizzly was my first crossbow. I successfully harvested a buck last year using the Diablo arrows with Slick Trick Crossbow 150's. Like mentioned previously you want to keep the arrow weight up.

Look out....once you start shooting it and reading this forum you may end up with more than one Excal in your collection.
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
Bluewater23

Post by Bluewater23 »

Hey Guys-

Appreciate all the insight. I'm looking forward to using it this year and will definetly post how it performs. I'll be hunting for 2 weeks in early November in Missouri and hoping it'll do the job for me.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

welcome!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

Welcome to the forum.

Also have the Matrix Grizzly, I use the Diablo arrows, with 150 grain boltcutters, harvested 2 whitetails from a ground blind. Love it.
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
JimG

Post by JimG »

Boltcutters work fine for me.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I have put many deer down with the slick tricks cross bow head 150 grain.
4 blades, accurate, tough, and just replace blades and kill again.
You need some weight up front on bolts for the best accuracy and penetration.
go with the 150 grain head or as mentioned by others brass inserts.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Welcome . The bolt cutter and the 150 slick trick would be my first choice with excalibur bolts. They should fly within 1 or 2 inches of your field points or even better.you can play around with other setups after the season. Go out and enjoy your bow for now.you might not ever want to change at all.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
884savage

Post by 884savage »

I will second that if you buy different arrows, be sure to get a brass insert. I have a 110 grain insert in my arrows and shoot a 125 grain Rage. They also have Ignitor nocks. With my arrow setup shooting from my Matrix 380, I've yet to find a broadhead that doesn't shoot well. I've shot Muzzy, Rage, and 2 blade Bear blades without touching the scope. Out to 40 yards there is no difference. At 50 just a little. If you go with Rage, watch a few YouTube videos on how be certain you don't get a premature open or you'll join the crew of guys that hate them for no reason :) I've had 100% success and dead in sight kills with them from both my crossbow and vertical bow. Good luck. You'll love that bow more with each year.
Bluewater23

Post by Bluewater23 »

Thanks again everyone.

This seems to be a very informative forum with good people.

Chris
acreek

Post by acreek »

I've shot stock Quills with 150 grain Magnus 4 blade Stingers out of a Micro 335 and they were dead on windage wise, and an inch off elevation wise compared to the field tips at 30 yards. I tried the same setup with my Bulldog and the stock Diablo bolts. Shooting 368 fps, the setup was also dead on windage wise and an inch high elevation wise compared to the 150 grain field points. The Stinger blades are tough and you can resharpen them after shooting them, whether it's into an animal or your target.
Mmiller385

Post by Mmiller385 »

I love the blackout gators bass pro sells. They were formally produced by Rocky Mountain until Rage bought them. I have killed nearly 30 deer with these heads with my bowtech tribute. Rear deploying and NO O-RING!!!! 29 bucks a pack. I have not tried them in my micro but intend to in a couple of weeks.
Bowtech tribute
Micro 335
ThackMan

Post by ThackMan »

I recently changed to BEZS w/ 110 gr insert and lumanocks w/ right helical blazers. They shoot 1/2" lower than stock.
The BEZS shoot my VPA broadheads the same as field points.

I am using 100 grain VPA 3-Blade Vented 1 1/8″ Diameter Broadheads.

VPA offers broadheads from 85 gr up to 300 gr.
BD400 w/ TT, HHA, Leupold 2-7x 33mm, 8ptbuk String, Munch Mount "Y", Kwikee-3SS, Dr Stirrup Kit
Grizzly, 8ptbuk String
18" SSST 112 gr Insert, SK300, Ignitor
18" BEZS 110 gr insert, Blazers, Lumenok
VPA 3 blade vented 100 gr