Boltcutter Kills

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Zombie

Boltcutter Kills

Post by Zombie »

I would like to see some pics of kills you have made with the boltcutter broadheads. My buddy says they don't leave a good blood trail. I have told him it is all about shot placement.
longbow joe

Re: Boltcutter Kills

Post by longbow joe »

I killed 4 deer and 2 bear with boltcutters it was a few years back i dont have any digital pics. I can assure you that they work very well .they are not the biggest cut but its a ballance between good flight and cutting .as you said all about placement.
grouse

Post by grouse »

I only killed one deer with a boltcutter and didn't even notice the blood trail because it was late evening and the deer fell within sight. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures.
axiom
350 SE
CalhounWV

Post by CalhounWV »

Deer dropped within sight, I did not take pictures.

My opinion is: hunting from a ground blind you do not get as good blood trails because the arrow penetrates more or less on the level and the body cavity fills up. Shooting from a tree stand the arrows enters from the top to the bottom, blood leaks out the lower hole, resulting in better blood trail
Matrix Grizzly, diablo bolts w/luminated nock, 150 gr. BAT boltcutters.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Here is a 6 pt i killed some yrs back when i tried out the Boltcutter Bheads. He went 45-60 yds n blood trail was ok

Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I've killed around 50 deer with boltcutters, and they performed well for me.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

My file are too big.

3 kills last year. Added up all three don't total 150 yards traveled. 1 dead pretty much in sight. The other 2 dead in bout 60 yards. Blood trails weren't anything to write home about, but they were certainly easily discernable. Cant beat the accuracy of them, especially for the reliability of a fixed blade...
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Blood trails can be a very funny thing their are so many factors involved , body fat , angel related to horizontally , vertically , and perpendicularly placement and the ever important shot height.
often it takes some yards for a trail to get going then it is great but then can turn off just as fast.
I only have used fixed blade heads my whole life never once have they not opened or prematurely opened , duh.
The blood trails very but not because of the heads , they did their job , they very because of all the other factors.
I think poorly tuned bows or bows with improper arrows benefit from mechanical broad heads but I fix those issues and will stick with my fixed blades.
If I loose a deer it is on me not the broad head.
Just my my opinion from a mechanical broad head virgin take it or leave it.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

go to you tube and key in Hunts with Excalibur cross Bows and it will answer all your questions.
W.M.
Buck

Post by Buck »

12 deer all with Boltcutters. 10 were pass-throughs with adiquate blood trails and an average recovery under 50 yards, 1 buck with only couple drops over 300 yards, the other one left a 100 yard trail like a busted radiator.

All recoveries without looking too hard.
Micro 335 / Hawke XB30 Pro- Excal Sound Deadening System....
Matrix 350 SE / Hawke XB30 Compact - Couldn't say no......
308 Shorty / Hawke XB30 Pro- Tack driver ....
Axe 340 Raid / Hawke XB30 Compact - ....