I love seein people post trail cam n sucess pics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

acreek

Re: I love seein people post trail cam n sucess pics

Post by acreek »

This guy walked by a couple of different trail cams during the fall, each time during the day and each time while I was hunting a different stand. One time he was tending a doe, so I know he spread his genes.

acreek

Post by acreek »

I caught this buck bedded down about 60-70 yards away. I climbed up into my stand for an afternoon hunt and as I stepped onto the platform my eyes immediately saw the sunlight shining on his white antlers. About an hour later, he stood up and actually walked down and then up a little ravine that separated us and bedded down again about 30 yards away. Unbeknownst to me, there was a doe already bedded there behind a laydown. Half hour later I grunted at him to see what he would do and ended up spooking him and the doe off. Lol.

acreek

Post by acreek »

The photo on the left is from 2014. The photo on the right is from 2015. When I first saw the deer in 2014 I was thinking someone should "cull" this nerd buck from the herd if they got the chance. One year later, I was happy no one had. His body is pretty massive. Can't wait to see him this year.

acreek

Post by acreek »

I got this buck on cam about ten times last year and had high hopes for him for this year because he never seemed to leave the area. I thought he had a good chance to make it through the hunting season because his home range was small, even during the rut. None of the neighbors reported shooting him, but no one has seen him since 2015 gun season.

acreek

Post by acreek »

Regardless of his size, this might be my favorite deer. I call him Sideways for obvious reasons. I saw him so many times he became like a pet. I have photos of him after hunting season closed but none from this year that I can tell. I don't know if the injury that caused the deformation healed or what.

acreek

Post by acreek »

Called this guy Peek-a-Boo because he played peek a boo with a trail camera while he stood behind a bush. I also caught him walking past a trail cam I had set on video. He walked past that camera, which was about five yards from a stand I have, 18 minutes after the camera caught me walking past it on my way in to another stand. Talk about a heart break.

acreek

Post by acreek »

This is probably the most impressive deer I have ever caught on a trail cam. Just a stud 12 pointer.

acreek

Post by acreek »

Here's my 2015 Rifle Season buck. The neighbor actually kicked him over to me when he started cutting wood.

acreek

Post by acreek »

This is the same buck in my signature pic and the one I'm looking for pre-rut. This picture was taken a few weeks ago in the afternoon. Hopefully he'll repeat that movement today.

janesy

Post by janesy »

acreek wrote:This is probably the most impressive deer I have ever caught on a trail cam. Just a stud 12 pointer.

That right there is a perfect wall hanger. Great rack and a perfect magazine face
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Wait Acreek, I just clued in you were posting all these pics... How in the world do you sleep at night? Lol And how tall is the fence in your yard?

Great bucks!
Last edited by janesy on Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
acreek

Post by acreek »

ThunderXB wrote:I am apparently hunting in the WRONG place in WI! :shock: :lol:
Lol. I think earn a buck was a blessing in disguise in some areas because it forced people to pass up bucks they normally would have shot. In the following years then, hunters started seeing more older bucks walking around that would not have been there otherwise. I also think trail cams are helping. People see what's out there walking around and are more willing to pass up shots at younger deer hoping to see one of the big boys.
acreek

Post by acreek »

janesy wrote:Wait A creek, I just clued in you were posting all these pics... How in the world do you sleep at night? Lol And how tall is the fence in your yard?

Great bucks!
Lol. There is no fence, but enough of the landowners in the area practice QDM to make it seem like that. Most are not completely over the top about it though. So if a young hunter or a seasoned one shoots a young buck, no one freaks out on him or her.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

acreek wrote:
ThunderXB wrote:I am apparently hunting in the WRONG place in WI! :shock: :lol:
Lol. I think earn a buck was a blessing in disguise in some areas because it forced people to pass up bucks they normally would have shot. In the following years then, hunters started seeing more older bucks walking around that would not have been there otherwise. I also think trail cams are helping. People see what's out there walking around and are more willing to pass up shots at younger deer hoping to see one of the big boys.

I hunt NW WI, no earn a buck, just bad winters, lots of predators, too many anterless permits for years and lots of almost unlimited native hunting.

And I hunt private land at least a mile from any public land.

Opening day of gun season last year, sitting dark to dark, I saw 1 doe at 4:30 PM and she was being chased by a wolf. No exaggeration, true story.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
acreek

Post by acreek »

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I used to live up north and hunted exclusively in the Northern Highland American Legion State Forest. Have you ever gotten on the DNR website and looked under the private land access programs down south? If a farmer/landowner in WI takes certain tax subsidies, they have to let the public hunt their land upon request.