Tree Harness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Re: Tree Harness

Post by one shot scott »

Sproulman, You are saying that when your ascending or descending a tree and your sitting on the shooting rail as you ratchet yourself up/down a tree that you are not using a safety harness? Or does your summit function a different way??

If you climb like I described then all it takes is for that top section to drop a bit and your knees would smack ya in the face just before you did a backwards summersault onto the ground. Wear a harness man!! sure you sharpened the teeth but what if you didn't clip the rear support in 100% If you fall from one of these odds are your going to be falling with at least some part of the climber and landing with metal from 20 feet aint going to be pretty.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Very interested in the concept of using a rock climbing harness as some have mentioned. For those using them I am curious how you attach to the tree?

Looking at pictures of the harnesses it looks like there are two loops, one at each hip. Do you attached to the tree using these loops?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

To all,
Like I stated before that years back I did not wear and safety harnesses at all. I make sure that the the guys I hunt with that we all wear them and if I don't know you you I stress that who ever you are is to wear them. Not sure if anybody has a friend or someone you know die because they did not use one. Also I know of a young hunter that is paralyzed because he did not have one on. Like I said in the earlier part of this thread what is your life worth. Hell for under a $100.00 bucks you can make your self safe. With all of the modern harnesses I can not say they are cumbersome. To all again be safe out there.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
janesy

Post by janesy »

Years ago, people used to brag about not needing seatbelts as they were too good of a driver to need them. Now those same people, who are not dead yet, still don't wear them... But at least they pretend to. SPROUL! Read what you just posted! To assume nothing is going to happen because it hasn't before, is simply ridiculous and nobody here wants to hear you were the first. :(

I use an HSS unit with either a linesman harness or a lifeline. Depending on whether im climbing the climbing sticks or using my climber. Either way. I'm attached before I leave the ground .
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

CT.HNTR wrote:Very interested in the concept of using a rock climbing harness as some have mentioned. For those using them I am curious how you attach to the tree?

Looking at pictures of the harnesses it looks like there are two loops, one at each hip. Do you attached to the tree using these loops?
I have lifelines on all(15) of my hang ons. Most of the time, I just leave my harness attached to the lifelines. If that doesn't work, I use a tree strap and attach to that. The harness has about 30 in. line attached lifelin to the front loop on the harness.
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

CT.HNTR wrote:Very interested in the concept of using a rock climbing harness as some have mentioned. For those using them I am curious how you attach to the tree?

I have lifelines on all(15) of my hang ons. Most of the time, I just leave my harness attached to the lifeline. If that doesn't work, I attach a tree strap and attach it to the harness line with a carabiner. I have about a 30 in. rope that is attached to the front loop of the harness. This attaches to the lifeline with a prussic knot and a carabiner connects them.
20 years ago, I fell 22 ft while getting out of a hangon. I am truly blessed to still be walking.
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I thought that I was too good of a climber to use any type of safety harness. I fell from a 16' ladder stand and I was very lucky that I was not seriously injured and able to walk away. Remember that IT IS NOT IF BUT WHEN you will fall. Always wear your safety gear whenever your feet are off the ground. I find the HSS vest to be comfortable and easy to use with a carabiner and Pursik knot loop. Folks want you to come back home safe and sound.

This is what my back looked like after the fall.

Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
Flecha

Post by Flecha »

CT Hunter:

No! Loops are for hanging on gear. Climbers tie-in by tying the rope around the actual harness at waist. There are a couple of harnesses that have ALL loops full-strength but that's not the norm.

For ladder stands, what *I* recommend (not suggesting you do the same as you might die ;-):

Safety line is already hanging from tree. I then clip a large locking carabiner onto a prussic which is long enough that when hanging i can still reach with outstretched arm. That way I can push it up as i climb, and then adjust it when up in tree. If you wanted the safety prussic to be higher up so you can stand in tree-stand, then just transfer to a 2nd prussic when on stand.

Hope that makes sense...
CT.HNTR

Post by CT.HNTR »

Jim / Flecha,

Thanks for the feedback regarding attaching with the rock climbing harness. I am very intrigued by the concept. I like the idea of facing the tree and having the safety line in front of me if I fall. I watched a few YouTube videos and it seems to be much easier to get back up into your stand from this position. Also suspension trauma seems like much less of a concern.

Rock climbers can fall from much greater heights so I am sure a good quality rock climbing harness is very safe.

I also thing think will be more compact and easier to carry while hiking a long distance to a stand.
I am going to pick one up over the winter and experiment in my back yard before bringing one up into the forest.

Not trying to hijack this thread. Just wanted to thank people for their feedback.
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
Boo

Post by Boo »

I can't get past the thought that a rock climbing harness would expose you to serious back injury if you fell back and you got stopped by a rope secured to the front, middle of your body.
Some of the workman's safety harnesses have an anchor at the front but they all have one high in the back.
While the rock climbing harness are pretty inexpensive, the safety harnesses didn't seem overly expensive, especially considering what it does for you.
http://safetysuppliescanada.com/search. ... ng+harness
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

one shot scott wrote:Sproulman, You are saying that when your ascending or descending a tree and your sitting on the shooting rail as you ratchet yourself up/down a tree that you are not using a safety harness? Or does your summit function a different way??

If you climb like I described then all it takes is for that top section to drop a bit and your knees would smack ya in the face just before you did a backwards summersault onto the ground. Wear a harness man!! sure you sharpened the teeth but what if you didn't clip the rear support in 100% If you fall from one of these odds are your going to be falling with at least some part of the climber and landing with metal from 20 feet aint going to be pretty.
I use SUMMIT 180 MAX ..You cannot sit on rail its only summit you cant because it is 2 way climber with round front rail.So i am down inside on the seat folded ..You can face tree sitting or away from tree...So if i fall it will be like being in inside climber not going over edge,,I fall asleep in my baby all the time ..
I make sure upper section is little higher so i cannot fall over rail frontwards..

I climb in dark at 5am and in dark at 5pm coming down.

best thing is my VICHELLO headlamp its sweat ...I HIGHLY rec you get one ..

So YES wear harness but I do not I guess it my youth at 63 and you hear stories all time of folks falling ..BUT NOT 1 DEATH OR INJURY HERE IN 20 YEARS WAS FROM CLIMBER LOTS FROM LOCK--ONS WITH NO SAFETY HARNESS ..Lock -ons are dangerous been there done that..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

janesy wrote:Years ago, people used to brag about not needing seatbelts as they were too good of a driver to need them. Now those same people, who are not dead yet, still don't wear them... But at least they pretend to. SPROUL! Read what you just posted! To assume nothing is going to happen because it hasn't before, is simply ridiculous and nobody here wants to hear you were the first. :(

I use an HSS unit with either a linesman harness or a lifeline. Depending on whether im climbing the climbing sticks or using my climber. Either way. I'm attached before I leave the ground .

THANKS for concern and you all are right...I used to wear seat of pants harness 1 season its in box....Here is scary thing not 1 of of our group uses a safety harness thats 16 in our camp..not 1 ...ones using a lock-on are asking for it i tell them all the time Sproul almost broke his crown jewels on lock-on no more lock-ons ..

as for ladderstands if you lower your gun and all your stuff to me its unreal how you can fall ..take your time ..i have been sitting in trees on plywood with shimming up/down tree back as far as 1962 ..NEVER GOT HURT NEVER SAID I DID NOT SLIP but I trust my SUMMIT 180 MAX and my sharpen teeth idea is sweat ....it sticks but you all are right DO NOT LISTEN to me on harness thing I am a older fart that is used to doing it longtime and I trust my climber so much i sleep in it ..

biggest Bucks were while waking up,rubbing my eyes to see as my contacts were blurry ,grabbed bow and shot buck ...

THANKS FOR CONCERN on harness ..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Deerstalker wrote:I thought that I was too good of a climber to use any type of safety harness. I fell from a 16' ladder stand and I was very lucky that I was not seriously injured and able to walk away. Remember that IT IS NOT IF BUT WHEN you will fall. Always wear your safety gear whenever your feet are off the ground. I find the HSS vest to be comfortable and easy to use with a carabiner and Pursik knot loop. Folks want you to come back home safe and sound.

This is what my back looked like after the fall.

WOW ..I give you credit 77 years young and up in tree..Most over 70 hear are using OUTHOUSE tent ..I bought one and when weather is nasty I use it ..
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Ya you cant fall from a ladder stand. The taxidermist I take my deer to on Kansas was out trimming trees before season and was on ground no harness. He decided to move a ladder stand that he was wanting to move for a while. He didn't have his harness to attach to his safety line. He climbed up to release the ratchets and 3/4 up the ladder a weld broke and he losy his balance and fell. Collapsed lung, 4 broken ribs, broken wrist, collar bone, ankle and compressed l2 disc !!!!
I used to use a lone wolf climber and no harness until one day the belt on a 2 year old unit split and I had to shimmy down the tree like a bear !! Your never safe when climbing !! :roll:
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Oh by the way when I was kid I used to climb 100 foot trees all the time until a buddy fell and was paralyzed ! Just because you did something stupid for years and beat the odds doesn't mean your immune hope your luck holds because if it don't you'll be another one of those guys if you survive that hurries to post each year how you should wear a harness ! :oops: