Tree Harness

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

elknut

Tree Harness

Post by elknut »

Thinking of getting a new harness. Does anybody use the tree spider Speed Harness or tree spider Micro? Any reviews?
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
Matrix 330
MickR

Re: Tree Harness

Post by MickR »

Hard to beat the HSS brand...
rein1

Post by rein1 »

MickR wrote:Hard to beat the HSS brand...
Sure it is !!! I had a HSS brand fail me.. I wouldn't buy another after falling 20 ft plus after the safety belt material rip at the buckle.. Lucky I walked awAy and only needed shoulder surgery ..
Jim M

Post by Jim M »

I switched to a rock climbing harness last year and I wouldn't even consider anything else. In a controlled experiment, I hung from each harness. The tree harness has you facing away from the tree. They are also shown to induce suspension trauma very quickly.
There's a lot of info about them on the Archery Talk forum. They are also more reasonably priced!
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

Jim M wrote:I switched to a rock climbing harness last year and I wouldn't even consider anything else. In a controlled experiment, I hung from each harness. The tree harness has you facing away from the tree. They are also shown to induce suspension trauma very quickly.
There's a lot of info about them on the Archery Talk forum. They are also more reasonably priced!

X2
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I have never understood the attachment point on the back.Construction safety harnesses are the same way. Once you fall you are pretty much "turtled". I have always assumed it is to protect the back and neck from injury

On the climbing harness I assume you are attaching at the belt buckle area?
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Flecha

Post by Flecha »

As a climber, I have always assumed industrial/construction harnesses connect at back, simply so that the tether is not in your way while working.

I would MUCH rather be facing the tree/stand/rock/ice-wall when I fall, than to be tied in at back. Also if you were in a position where you need to lower yourself or ascend (can't reach ladder or limbs), you'd want access to the rope (in front). Contrary to what some fear, people do not fall out of climbing harnesses. Granted, most climber's body shape is a bit different than... :wink:

An added advantage of a climbing harness is that something like the BD Couloir or Alpine Bod can be rolled up compactly and carried in fanny or possibles bag.

Anything involving ropes and heights can kill you, so comments above are given not as advice, but as general conversation....ymmv ;-)
Flecha

Post by Flecha »

Patcon wrote:I have never understood the attachment point on the back.Construction safety harnesses are the same way. Once you fall you are pretty much "turtled". I have always assumed it is to protect the back and neck from injury

On the climbing harness I assume you are attaching at the belt buckle area?
Yes, there is a waaaaay over-strong loop of webbing on front (used to belay someone else) and climber ties in with a figure-8 or bowline directly around the waist belt portion of harness. In casual climbing (e.g. top roping) people sometimes use biners, but it's not recommended as they can cross-load and open/break the gate. That said, I'm not sure I've ever heard of such failures and if so, it would be very rare if you are using a beefy locker.

If you go with climbing harnes, do NOT consider ANY of the gear loops as being capable of holding a fall (unless specifically designed as such - Metolious and maybe other do make such a harness)
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

Keep in mind that safety harnesses have an expiration date and you are supposed to replace them when they reach that date.

Safety equipment isn't the place to skimp. Your life may depend on what you choose. Choose the best equipment you can and use it. What is your life worth?

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

rein1 wrote:
MickR wrote:Hard to beat the HSS brand...
Sure it is !!! I had a HSS brand fail me.. I wouldn't buy another after falling 20 ft plus after the safety belt material rip at the buckle.. Lucky I walked awAy and only needed shoulder surgery ..
Yikes. Am glad that you walked away. I have never heard of one failing. I would be interested in hearing what happened if you are willing to share the story.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Being a Roofer I never wore anything until a friend of a friend had fallen and died brought me to my senses. Since that time I wear them religiously. I used to have the seat of the pants by summit and really liked that one. I have switched over to the treespider light which attaches to the inside of my jacket. This one I would recommend. It's part of the Scent Blocker Brand. The group of guys that I hunt with even use the safe lines too now. I guess the older we get the more you think about safety. I would tell everyone that climbs a tree to hunt should have a safety harness. Be safe out there in them trees.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Seat of the Pants also. I like the fact that i am facing away from the tree if I fall, and I use mine in this manner. I always keep the tether at face height, or above when climbing, yes you do have to move it up & down a lot more, but the sudden jolt if I fall, or if my climber breaks is not going to slam me into the tree. I also say this, stay in good enough shape to swing / turn yourself around, and get back into your stand or stay on the ground! We lost a lot of our hunting brothers from falls, this is not something to play with folks.

Be safe for the ones that need you, and expect you home! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Phillyarcher wrote:Being a Roofer I never wore anything until a friend of a friend had fallen and died brought me to my senses. Since that time I wear them religiously. I used to have the seat of the pants by summit and really liked that one. I have switched over to the treespider light which attaches to the inside of my jacket. This one I would recommend. It's part of the Scent Blocker Brand. The group of guys that I hunt with even use the safe lines too now. I guess the older we get the more you think about safety. I would tell everyone that climbs a tree to hunt should have a safety harness. Be safe out there in them trees.
I have box full of HARNESS do not use them...I did but they slow me down and something else to carry and wear...But thats me at 63 is that smart?Who knows..

On my Summit climber I take a dremel tool too teeth and they are sharp..I used to have pic how I sharpened them lost it ...Actually they are too sharp they stick to tree and sometimes too much BUT i have learned just right amount of pressure to apply ..
on top section I give it a little extra push on each lift to dig it in..

Red Oaks are easy teeth grab too much ,white oak you have to push the teeth in a little as whites are smoother ..

in my opinion with top and bottom section and sharp teeth its very hard to slip on Summit climber 1 is going to hold you no way both will let you go sliding down tree top holds bottom slips ,top slips bottom holds I cannot see both taking off.

in our area deaths were from folks falling asleep and falling out of lock on stands without safety harness holding them in..I fall asleep all the time but SUMMIT is sweet no way to fall out of it asleep it as that good..Standing up i wear no harness or safety strap not needed with rail around SUMMIT ..

Not suggesting anyone not use HARNESS but its too much of problems for me too use and I FEEL if I take my time push in the teeth the SUMMIT is not going anywhere..

now icy trees bark from storm i stay on ground that has happened while i was in tree too that will scare ya but TAKE YOUR TIME AND PUSH IN SPROULS SHARPEN TEETH ..
They are pain at times because they stick in tree but its better than falling..
Last edited by sproulman on Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

xcaliber wrote:Seat of the Pants also. I like the fact that i am facing away from the tree if I fall, and I use mine in this manner. I always keep the tether at face height, or above when climbing, yes you do have to move it up & down a lot more, but the sudden jolt if I fall, or if my climber breaks is not going to slam me into the tree. I also say this, stay in good enough shape to swing / turn yourself around, and get back into your stand or stay on the ground! We lost a lot of our hunting brothers from falls, this is not something to play with folks.

Be safe for the ones that need you, and expect you home! :wink:
HOW MANY WERE FROM CLIMBERS? Not 1 death in my area for last 20 years was from CLIMBER ..Most lock on stands with no rails around you or slipping on steps in dark climbing or coming down..

lock ons are deadly that is where i would use harness climbing or coming down NO RAIL is deadly for sure ...

Our trees here in pa of fairly straight so climber works here ..I had lock -ons and never will use one again..If my climber would not work I would use ladderstand..
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

A lot of the accidents are from getting into and out of the hang on stands. One thing is that is good now is the industry is pushing the safe lines which are great if you are using hang on ones. At $30. They are well worth it. One other harness I picked up is HSH hanger harness. This is strictly for when you are hanging your stands a bit pricey,but what is your life worth. It has pockets that are attached and it is great for hanging stands and putting up stick ladders too. You can put all the stuff you need in the pockets. Check it out on there web site and watch the video. This is a good topic.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR