Evercalm

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

flightattendant100

Re: Evercalm

Post by flightattendant100 »

do you suppose Evercalm goes bad? I bought a stick first year I saw it, and found it the other day! :lol: :lol: :lol: It has reduced in size in the tube significantly. Suppose its still good?
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

jwellsy wrote:The best thing I've done for scent control was giving up smoking. I can now smell a smoker 3 aisles over in a store. I had to of smelled the same way when I smoked.

I tend to use earth scent most often.

I think it was in Gene & Barry Wenzen's book 'And The Horse You Rode In On' where their #1 scent tip was to use a washrag on all your private parts.
i smoke my clothes at home in maxwell coffee can ..put in oak leaves and pine needles light the leaves ,smoke clothes and in bag and sealed .put them on at truck..most camps burn wood etc so deer are not alerted to leaf smoke.its free and i feel it works better ..

dad had us smoke our clothes before going hunting 50 years ago they did it and i continue to do it..
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

as a former heavy user of these potions ive come to a conclusion. during the rut a doe can get spooked by those smells. a doe thast isint in heat doesnt want to be near ones that are. my conclusion is a live doe walking around in your area is the best attractant you can have so why chance it with laying out scents that might spook it away.ive personally watched a doe im guessing was in heat walk through my stand area within 25 yards. i had a heavy scent trail layed down on the same trail and a side lane leading to my stand for a closer shot. a buck walked through 10 minutes later nose to the ground and followed where that doe went. could care less about my expensive deer pee.in fact he didnt even stop where i began my scent trail. he knew the difference and bulldozed on. using doe in heat a little after the rut usually ended up with a doe 50 yards out blowin and snortin for a half hour trying to figure things out. during pre rut walking to my stands in the morning i would have a buck sometimes follow my drag rag but usually buttons or spikes.just my experience but i still pick up a bottle from time to time though. lol
Rusty Gate

Post by Rusty Gate »

Hang my hunting cloths, boots, pack, and any gear I intend to bring afield in the barn with the cows, and use fox urine on my boots as I depart for my stand. Been doing this since my dad and grandfather started me out. I miss those cows when I hunt in other locations!!!! But there are creative scenting alternatives available in just about every location given a little creative thinking. 8)

RG
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

I used a drag rag with Tinks on it and walked across my stands 25 yards out. I had a doe come slowly in, followed by a massive 8 point. When she hit the drag line she really got spooked. She kept coming but went on high alert. She walked by me and was standing 15 yards past my stand. As the 8 point reached the drag line he stopped.....nose went down and then looked right at the doe. He starts growling at her (thinking in his mind, hey you have been lying to me, you are ready!!!!). Next thing I know he crouches down and then he takes off after her like he was shot out of a cannon!! If I had not used that drag, I know I would have had an opportunity for a good shot at him. Used Evercalm last year but did not drag.
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Heres a funny little story about our experience with Evercalm:

I bought some at the start of season last year. I wanted to try and see if it would help mask our scent from a ground blind while hunting with my daughters. I put it on a tree in front of the blind. Had a group of does come in nice and calm and almost to the point of giving my oldest daughter a shot until they locked in on that stuff. They went batcrap crazy! I don't know if they smelled us or the Evercalm but I think that they still may be blowin and snorting! It was crazy, we heard them 3 ridges over until they went out of hearing! My youngest daughter got a kick out of it but of course she wasn't the one that was going to get to shoot first! It took half the season for that stuff to wash off of that tree too and thats with me spraying scent killer on it occasionally :lol: Now if that would have happened without having Evercalm on that tree, it would have been just amusing! But my oldest daughter (her turn to shoot) had something to blame it on, and she did 8)
That was our Evercalm experience and it sure put a bitter taste in her mouth!!!!
She ended up killing a pretty little 8 point from that blind with her crossbow a week or so later, but without the help of that deer deodorant (as she calls it)
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

foofoo wrote:as a former heavy user of these potions ive come to a conclusion. during the rut a doe can get spooked by those smells. a doe thast isint in heat doesnt want to be near ones that are. my conclusion is a live doe walking around in your area is the best attractant you can have so why chance it with laying out scents that might spook it away.ive personally watched a doe im guessing was in heat walk through my stand area within 25 yards. i had a heavy scent trail layed down on the same trail and a side lane leading to my stand for a closer shot. a buck walked through 10 minutes later nose to the ground and followed where that doe went. could care less about my expensive deer pee.in fact he didnt even stop where i began my scent trail. he knew the difference and bulldozed on. using doe in heat a little after the rut usually ended up with a doe 50 yards out blowin and snortin for a half hour trying to figure things out. during pre rut walking to my stands in the morning i would have a buck sometimes follow my drag rag but usually buttons or spikes.just my experience but i still pick up a bottle from time to time though. lol
What i did see work was put just a few drops of doe scent in a buck scrap BUT do to pressure bucks are showing up after dark on our cameras ..but they head right for scrap had 4 legal bucks stick their heads in scrap.just a few drops no wicks or things hanging from tree limb..
We are seeing it also ..I am not using doe in heat scent in rifle season here in pa in nov it does scare doe off and behind doe is buck ..i saw it last year ruined my hunt ....
Fur & Feathers

Post by Fur & Feathers »

Tried lots of scents with mixed results. I've found most put the deer on alert if it isn't the rut. This year I'm using ozone so I smell like nothing. We'll see how that goes.
Get out & Enjoy.
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Fur & Feathers wrote:Tried lots of scents with mixed results. I've found most put the deer on alert if it isn't the rut. This year I'm using ozone so I smell like nothing. We'll see how that goes.
X2, Ozonics delivered yesterday...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott