Anyone Puttin up Stands while the Season Opened

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Anyone Puttin up Stands while the Season Opened

Post by vixenmaster »

Yeah ain't that a kick in the head, :lol: Hey its too hot too hunt n early mornin i jus got my Hang-On all set. I trimmed out limbs that would be hangin down in my way. So all i have left to do over on my lease is put up my ground Blind n brush it in. I have not set up my other new Hang-On stand here on my place. I spect this next 2 weeks i will get it up as the Temps drop down n get cooler :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
acreek

Re: Anyone Puttin up Stands while the Season Opened

Post by acreek »

I left my ladder stands up through the winter. No reason to move them as all were in good spots. I did place my climber on its tree and left it there last weekend. I still have to fix a permanent rifle stand that had a tree crash onto it and I want to add a roof to it in case it rains like it has the last few years. But I was hoping to get a few weeks in of hunting un-pressured deer before breaking out the saw, hammer, and drill to do the work out there. I'm probably overthinking though because we've all had or heard stories of bucks walking up to watch some guy work on his deer stand.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

All season long,,,, :wink:

That shorty is my main latter stand, and I have one ladder stand that I do leave fer a seasonal stand,but both these come and go when I do.

It's just get'n to hard on me set'n up and klimn'n any more but in a pinch if I have to get high I still got the 17# super brute from tinber tall,,
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I only use a climber ( summit viper ) public land and you have to take your stand with you when you leave. :?
But if I find a spot that looks good i will find a tree, cut a few lanes if need be then wait about two weeks before i hunt it. :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I had to go in n trim with the pole saw on one of my favorite stands today. I hate disturbing the area on a day off but that tree was blocking one of the key paths
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

Most of my stands are set for the season a few pole saw trimming. I do move some around on an occasion. I do have a few more to put on a couple of property's that I have not been to yet. This weather finally broke a bit and it will be a lot better. I enjoy this part of the hunt setting them up and taking Deer out of them knowing you got it right. To all good luck this season.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I have killed some nice deer on a stupid 10 foot cut down ladder stand on wheels i moved around all season. Long
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Mark Rainbolt

Post by Mark Rainbolt »

Move stands all season long. If the deer change their patterns I change my stands.
God Bless,
Mark
I walk in the light with my Lord and Savior!!!
2011 Excalibur Vortex with a Twilight DLX Scope
Boo Custom Strings
Boo Custom Trigger
Gold Tip Laser IV's
100gr. Swacker Broadheads
Onestringer Arrow Wraps, with Blazer Vanes
Equals a Deadly Weapon!!!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

georgiaboy wrote:I only use a climber ( summit viper ) public land and you have to take your stand with you when you leave. :?
But if I find a spot that looks good i will find a tree, cut a few lanes if need be then wait about two weeks before i hunt it. :D
Same here``````````Only thing i do is go in like now season opens sat and get tree prepped ..i do not hunt Buck much until Halloween ...Its pain to carry your stands out daily we have it rough.put up ladder stand and it will be tore down.leave climber locked on tree it will be stolen....

you are right if Buck smells your spot its HISTORY here in pa wilds of pa..
You have to move your stand..

hunting privateland is so much easier to get Buck..You can cut lanes, trim trees and have food plots not on publicland super hard to get buck... at 62 i am getting tired at times on all work it takes to hunt publicland here in pa....I am hoping my new deer cart makes things easier for me ..
thisis why i only hunted evenings it gives me chance to get set up in daylight not dark ,foggy mornings with dew and spokking deer going in ..

i got great headlamp i bought so when i come out 2 hrs after dark with coyotes laughing i can see better with nothing in my hands..
deer cart/light is going to be big help for us older gents ....no more dragging a buck 1 mile with no snow on ground coming out at 10 pm at night by yourself...
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

wildcatter wrote:All season long,,,, :wink:

That shorty is my main latter stand, and I have one ladder stand that I do leave fer a seasonal stand,but both these come and go when I do.

It's just get'n to hard on me set'n up and klimn'n any more but in a pinch if I have to get high I still got the 17# super brute from tinber tall,,

I cannot sit long in timbertall..I tried almost all stands ,i invented the sound deadening system for Summit stands ..of all stand Summit viper up to my favorite 180 max is all i use..i do sleep in them a lot and never fall out ..
only problem with bigger summits is weight of stands but i am using deer cart now to haul mine in/out ..leave cart 75 yards locked on tree from my spot then carry climber in ...
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

I have 5 ladder stands, and 1 tripod stand and they stay up year round, :)
Be carefull putting up those hang on stands Mike, that's how I fell. :(

Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

papabear1 wrote:I have 5 ladder stands, and 1 tripod stand and they stay up year round, :)
Be carefull putting up those hang on stands Mike, that's how I fell. :(

Dave :)
Oh yeah i knowed about that. I had a close call 10 yrs ago puttin up a ladder stand by myself. Since then a come-along n 2 ropes n or a climber all help me put up anything but a ground blind :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Most of mine are out all year round now, but I did put up another one and move one last month before the season opened. Unless I notice a change in the deer travel paths, I generally leave things in place for the season.

I have moved a hang-on stand and 20' climbing stick set up during the middle of the day during the rut. I started moving it about noon and it was almost 2pm before I finally got it into place and took a seat. I killed a nice 7-point that was trolling for does about 15 minutes later. There are hot spots, then there are really hot spots. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I own my main hunting land, and my primary stands are permanent and have been in place for about 12 years. I do hunt portable ground blinds quite a bit though.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Most of mine stay up year round. I looked at one a couple weeks ago and had to trim the top off a small 8' evergreen. I noticed that the strap I have holding the stand to the tree snapped as the big pine grew this summer so I will replace it. I will be at the cabin this weekend so will check over the others as well. I may hunt Saturday but most of my focus will be the last week of Oct and the first couple weeks of Nov.... thats the only time the big boys come up out of the swamp. :wink:
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup: