Great Opening Day With The 330!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pickwick

Great Opening Day With The 330!

Post by Pickwick »

Snuck my ladder stand in Friday afternoon as time kinda snuck up on me this year. I set it in a small group of trees in a field surrounded by hardwoods. In the past, I would set it on the field edge and watch as the deer would always head out into these trees. I have wanted to set up in these trees but never did. Saturday morning found me set up before daylight with my Matrix 330. It didn't take long and I had a small 5 point and a wide 8 pt headed to a big white oak 40 yds from my stand. As I was watching and waiting, I noticed 5 does headed directly for me. I figured that I had better get this done pretty quick so I settled my 40 yd reticle behind the biggest bucks shoulder and pulled the trigger. I have been shooting this bow for almost a year now and am still amazed how fast that bolt covers distance. The shot was right on and the buck never knew that I was around. I watched him go over the hill and heard him go down in the field edge. I gave it 20 minutes or so and walked over to where he was. My bolt was covered and my white blazers were pink. This is the first time that I have used Schwacker broad heads and was actually disappointed in the blood trail. At first, the blood was on both sides of his path but at around 25 yds it just started to disappear. I had a good feeling that he was done for but I played it safe and backed off before I crested the hill. After another 30 minutes I couldn't stand it. I went to the last blood that I had found and continued on………….nothin! I went to the field edge another 20 yds and saw him in a wild rose thicket dead. After a bit of sweat and blood, I managed to drag him through the roses and into the field where I could see the shot. The entrance was a small hole right behind the shoulder and the exit was about the size of a fifty cent piece coming out of his armpit. He had a hole directly through his heart. I would have thought that there would have been more blood. The broadhead did what it was supposed to do, though, as he only made it a total of 55 yards. He is a nice 18" 8 point, a really good deer!! I am going to try and post a pic if I can. Love that Excalibur!!
SEW

Re: Great Opening Day With The 330!

Post by SEW »

Congratulations! Where in Arkansas?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Congratulations and thanks for the story!
It does not make sensense that the exit hole is so small, unless the Shwacker didn't open up.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
acreek

Post by acreek »

Awesome hunt!!! Great shot. Looking forward to seeing the pics. Congratulations.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats on a fine deer n nice Huntin story, right there wid ya fer sure
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Thanks fellas, Im thankful that I found him. I was discouraged after the bloodtrail petered out, thats for sure. What was odd is there was a hole on one side of the heart and a slit coming out. I guess it opened inside the heart? I don't know, always used slick tricks, they open every time!

I am in the northwest part of the state.
SEC-ond 2 none

Post by SEC-ond 2 none »

Congratulations on your hunt. Enjoyed reading your story. Did you find find your arrow after the pass through shot ?

Stephen
Matrix 380
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Oh yea, it was right where he was standing. The blades were open, but from looking at the heart, may have opened late, I don't know.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congrats on the buck well done, lack of a blood trail my be do to no blood pressure from the heart being punctured , but dead is dead.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Congrats! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Congrats.
Rear deployment means they open right after passing through the hide and ribs on entry. The small blades catch on the hide and open the bigger blades just inside.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the buck
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Congrats!! NIce deer and good story
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Maybe this will work

Edit: Nope, didn't work. Is there a place that has picture posting instructions? Sorry
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Congrats! Our group too has taken a few deer with Shwackers over the years, and most have expired rather quickly, but blood trails seem dismal compared to other heads in my opinion.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!