Bear by Canoe

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Species8472

Bear by Canoe

Post by Species8472 »

I have been trying to take a bear by canoe for the last 2 seasons (and the new distance requirements for baiting make this especially appealing). My first attempt was in the spring of 2015 and resulted in no bears seen and a camera lost overboard. My next attempt was in the spring of this year and had a lot more action and potential but I ran out of time. The third and final chapter was this fall and Sunday morning I closed the book. I did not use the crossbow this time around but contemplated it and figured you guys would like the story anyways.

The setup for this fall was essentially identical to my setup this past spring. Same location and same bait except instead of marshmellows I used jujubes in my mix. The jujubes were left over from a summer camp where my youngest son was a counsellor and the price (free) was right. So the bait mix was as follows:

265 lbs whole corn - $31.80
75 lbs molasses - $22.50
44 lbs jujubes - free

Total bait cost $54.30

A couple of pics from the spring setup (this fall was the same except I forgot my camera on the day I setup):

Loaded up and heading out to bait:

Unloaded:

Filling the barrel:

The setup barrel:

The view up the shooting lane to the ground blind:

The remainder of the pics are from this past weekend. This location is on crown and about a 1 hour paddle from the put in where I camped. The camp (mostly in the box of my truck) - those tent cots are handy and very comfortable. I also brought a tractor to make transport from the lake and loading into the truck a wee bit easier.

I hunted last weekend but did not see anything. I think it was too warm and the bears were hitting the bait during the cooler dark times. I know they were there as there was piles of scat and and a scat trail leading to my blind which had been torn down, hubs turned inside out and several rips in the material. I fixed the blind as best as i could and hunted out of it that weekend and left it standing when i left. When i returned this weekend it was the same drill:

Sunday I set the alarm for 5:00 am and shoved off with the canoe at 5:15 am. The temperature was +1 on my thermometer and there was light fog on the lake. The fog rendered my headlamp totally useless as the light was reflecting and the glare reduced visibility to 2 or 3 feet. Fortunately there was some moonlight and with the fog being light I was able to navigate with the lamp turned off. I was at the torn down blind at 6:20 am but decided not to use it. Instead I sat inside some young maples behind the blind with the tripod and hoped for the best. At 6:40 am (legal shooting start) I loaded the gun and waited.

At 7:00 am my bear came in and almost immediately presented a perfect broadside shot with the bait barrel on his off side. The bear was certainly not big but being as this was going to be my first attempt trying to get one out by canoe I decided to take him. I squeezed one off at his boiler room and my 35 Whelen sent a 250 grain partition his way. He immediately did a somersault and landed such that I could only see his hind quarters. As soon as he landed he snarled for a fraction of second and than switched to the death moan. He did not rise.

I decided to wait 15 or 20 minutes to be sure he was dead (I was fairly certain he was as he made the moan). After 10 minutes or so I notice some movement and thought what the #$%@. I got up thinking I had to put a second round into him and moved forward to get a view of his vitals. While moving forward my line of sight was momentarily blocked and during that time a bear gets up from his position and starts running away. It was about the same size and I thought what the ^*#%, this is not good. I take another 3 steps forward trying to get a line of sight on the fleeing bear and my bear comes back into sight and is laying right where I dropped him. A second bear had snuck in and was checking out the carcass - this was the bear now fleeing. Because my view was mostly blocked I never saw him come in.

The bear:

After passing thru the bullet punctured the bait barrel and then stuck in the offside of the barrel:

Offside deformation:

Loading him into the canoe I narrowly avoided tipping and going for a swim. The loaded bear:

I used a shoreline rock that was slightly higher than the top of the canoe to to get him up and over the gunwale:

I had him loaded by 8:00 am and was back at the put in about 9:00 am. By 11 am I had him dressed and camp broken down and everything loaded and was on the road back home. I stopped about 45 minutes into my ride and got 4 bags of ice to pack his chest cavity to enhance cooling. At the butcher he scaled 101 lbs dressed. Just about the perfect size for one guy and a canoe and probably going to be some fine eating.

I am thinking my next quest will be crossbow whitetail by canoe. I already have a place in mind that is on public land - we will see how much time I have to sort it out. I thought about the crossbow for the bear but than decided nah I'll take the Whelen and make sure there is minimal tracking.
Last edited by Species8472 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
racking up points

Re: Bear by Canoe

Post by racking up points »

Awesome hunt, congrats! With the restrictions placed on bait sites, water access to a spot is key. Thanks for sharing your hunt.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Congratulations on you bear that was a cool hunt with the canoe aspect .
Enjoy the meat this winter to come !
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.... Congrats Joe... We have restrictions on baiting in The People's Republic of New Jersey.... Simple rules.... " no baiting allowed" except for votes by our federal government :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Ontario Savage

Post by Ontario Savage »

Awesome job congrats
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Awesome hunt, Joe. Thanks for taking me along. :D
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

great job! that bears gonna eat good too!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Outstanding, Congrats on a well earned Bear!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Enjoyed yer Hunt n story, good pics. Congrats on yer nice yogi
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

Man, I bet that was a good time! Congratulations!!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Sounds like a very gratifying hunt. Congratulations! Job well done. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

A superb hunt,, ah to be young again,, would be nice!! Congrats on a fine goal, and making it happen!! I loved the whole hunt, I'm sure not as much as you did, but very cool,, good luck with the whitetail,, I'm sure you will make that happen also,, you have my best!! Enjoy it while yer young, and never look back!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Great story. Just like we were there in the moment with you. Nice job. Those 35's do a nice job on game.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the great eating bear!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Congrats and thanks for posting the pics.
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers