Thoughts on wrapping the stirrup in paracord?+checkingScrews

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

snugs

Thoughts on wrapping the stirrup in paracord?+checkingScrews

Post by snugs »

What are your experiences with removing the stirrup and wrapping it with paracord... Then screwing it back on? Is this a good idea? Does it help cut down on vibration and noise?
I was told that it does but wanted to get some more opinions from people who have already done this.

Which screws should I check are tight after fully assembling the bow? I'm obviously checking the scope rings but should I check any of the other bolts/screws that came assembled from the factory? If so what torque settings should I look for?

I'm looking at a micro 355.
Also do you guys like quad exodus or G5 montec bhs better?
GRUNDY

Re: Thoughts on wrapping the stirrup in paracord?+checkingSc

Post by GRUNDY »

Most of the vibe and sound I believe comes from the stirrup. I never bothered to wrap mine. By the time a deer hers it the arrow is in the dirt on the other side.

Check every screw for tightness

I've had extremely favorable results with the excal boltcutter BH. Flies with Field points. Kills with the best of em.

Killed 3 deer last year with boltcutters. All three blood trails added up don't crack 200 yards.
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
Normous

Post by Normous »

I think it looks cool on all the paracord stirrup photos that I have seen here and it does help dampen the tuning fork effect to some degree. However a few found out that their fixed broadheads don't clear the paracord at the shot and send their arrow off target.
This will not be a issue with most mechanicals.

An alternative is using a thinner Rhino Liner type or rubberized undercoating on the stirrup with a piece of inner tube gasket between the stirrup and riser.
I would only spay a stirrup in the early off season well away from hunting season to give the odor a chance to dissipate by hunting season.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I also think it looks cool but my preference is to go to a spray on bedliner shop and have them spray it. Do not spray the front or back face where the stirrup meets the riser or the fasteners go.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
snugs

Post by snugs »

Does the spray help with the noise and vibration? Or is this just for looks?
Should I check the screws that are on the side of the weaver rail? I'm not really sure what those are for ?

I'm looking at 100 grain fixed bh.

I will need to make sure my bh and fletch will not touch if I wrap it. I'm wondering if I could just wrap the sides and avoid this issue?
The only negatives I can think of right now for wrapping it is if the bh/fletch touches, slightly more weight, getting caught on tree limb, retains moisture...all of these seem minor to non existent. Maybe the screws come loose easier with cord isolating stirrup.

This is off-topic but is it a good idea to leave my bow cocked overnight before sighting it in for the first time? To allow everything to stretch?
Pickwick

Post by Pickwick »

I wrapped mine with a very thin baseball/tennis racket grip first and then used paracord when I first got my bow. I put a thin piece of rubber between the stirrup and riser also. I was concerned about noise when I did it. I think that it helps some. I have since come to the conclusion that the noise really makes no difference to the deer but I do think that it looks really good and kind of personalizes your bow. You can use a color that matches your string. I use expandables and slick trick mags and have no clearance problems even though it is cutting it thin with the slick tricks. I have a picture of it in another thread if you want to take a look at it.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....I just took mine off completely.....oh yea, and replaced it with a DrStirrup....eliminates noise completely! :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
snugs

Post by snugs »

How hard is DR stirrup to install? How many inches does it does extend underneath the bow?
ageless mind

Post by ageless mind »

I have wrapped mine all mine. though it does not eliminate the vibration completely, there is a noticeable improvement, which was an accidental improvement. My original intentions was to put something on the stirrup to protect it from getting beat up.
if you do wrap it, make sure you have vane clearance. Taller vanes will hit the paracord when shot. the stock vanes on the Diablo's and Executioners do not hit.
acreek

Post by acreek »

I wrapped two strips of beaver fur string silencers on either side of the stirrup then wrapped the stirrup with the cord. It does help with vibration and the strands of hair sticking through the rope give it a cool primitive look. Haha. After all, you are wrapping the stirrup primarily to increase your enjoyment of shooting.

I'd wrap the metal arrow retention spring as well. That also helps eliminate a metallic noise at the shot.
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

I just did both my Micro 335 and M380 this week. (Thanks Pickwick for the help). Put a layer of tennis racket tape and then the paracord over it. I initially had the problem on my micro that the broadheads wouldn't clear so I had to redo it. I had the knots on top but when I move the knots to the sides it gives plenty of clearance. Not only does it dull the vibration on the shot, but if you bump the stirrup on your stand it doesn't give that twang on a nice quiet morning in the woods!!

Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
WNYBILL

Post by WNYBILL »

To avoid the possibility of vanes hitting the para cord wrapped stirrup, I used foam pipe insulation with the adhesive and then wrapped it all with plastic electricians tape. I was careful not to build up the top of the stirrup. I can replace or add to the electricians tape when it wears.

Bill
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Gene Carroll showed me how to wrap stirrup with tennis wrap tape with camo tape over it .he ran it behind stirrup so it cannot unwrap then you tighten up bolts....
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I tried all types believe it or not i think regular camo gorilla tape reduced to half inch strips is the best.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
snugs

Post by snugs »

longbow joe wrote:I tried all types believe it or not i think regular camo gorilla tape reduced to half inch strips is the best.
Why? Does that reduce vibration and noise?