How many shots per year?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GRUNDY

How many shots per year?

Post by GRUNDY »

Do you put on your bow?

When I shot vertical bow I could easily cook a set of strings in a year. Maybe 6K to 10K shots per year.

When I got my excal I set out to shoot it alot. Stuff started to wear out "quickly" I did have some issues which were addressed well with Peter (Thanks Peter!)

I get about 200 shots out of a serving now. I can rack up 200 shots in a month easily. Needless to say I really do not shoot my excal as much as I would like because I don't want to wear it out

How many shots a year to ya'll think you put on your bows?

Regards,

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
paulaboutform

Re: How many shots per year?

Post by paulaboutform »

Really hard to guess. Any trip to the range usually results in over 100. I've also been quite pressed for any time but I think it'd be somewhere between 1200 and 2000ish.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Try a custom string with angel majesty. It may double your amount of shots on a string and make sure your trigger latches are finely polished. Worked for me.
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
ohioexocetfan

Post by ohioexocetfan »

I know it's less than 10 shots per year (5 maybe) and I've been very blessed shooting some nice specimens over the years. I get the bow out of the garage (cocking strings still attached from last fall), check the battery in the red dot, dust it off a bit, put some wax on the string, spray a little lube on the trigger area. Walk to the barn, put a leaf on my target with a nail, walk 20 big steps, brace and pull the trigger. The last 5 or 6 times it's 1" high at 20 yards. I can't tell you the last time I even took the adjustment caps off the red dot (it's been years). If I happen to slip in the ice or fall down, then I will re-shoot to check zero, but other than that, I'm done until I pull the trigger on my next deer. :wink:
THE ORIGINAL
Exocet 200
100g 1" Slick Tricks
GTII w/ 2" Blazer vanes
Boo "Ohio State" string

THE UPGRADE
Matrix 380
Hawke Pro 30
100g 2" Swhackers
18" Executioners w/ 2" Blazers
Mike Collins string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

2000-3500 a yr every yr but this one. I only got about a 1000 was lots of work n really hot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Hi Grundy you just need to make a serving jig and learn to reserve your own string, serving were is a fact of any crossbow shooter.
Boo a member here has great videos on youtube on reserving strings.
It is very easy to reserve your string and takes about 15 min I reserve before every bow season opens .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

gerald strine wrote:Hi Grundy you just need to make a serving jig and learn to reserve your own string, serving ware is a fact of any crossbow shooter.
Boo a member here has great videos on youtube on reserving strings.
It is very easy to reserve your string and takes about 15 min I reserve before every bow season opens .
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

What about limbs? How many shots could you get out of a set of limbs? I finally have most of the bugs worked out of my M335. I'm fixin to start slingin arrows again. I had just decided I would not really shoot it much after all the problems but I just have to shoot its too much fun.
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

vixenmaster wrote:2000-3500 a yr every yr but this one. I only got about a 1000 was lots of work n really hot
The master archer in action... 8)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't worry about the limbs, if'en they break i send them back fer a new set!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

2000 to 3000 over the 4, but if your only get'n about 200 shots on a serving, you either need to polish yer claws, or buy a better string,, 500 shots easy, off much higher draw weight bows.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

wildcatter wrote:2000 to 3000 over the 4, but if your only get'n about 200 shots on a serving, you either need to polish yer claws, or buy a better string,, 500 shots easy, off much higher draw weight bows.
on our micros even after polishing the claws we are not getting much over 100 shots on our servings ....this is with no lube on rails very little wax....it is claw wear area not wear from rail...
SEW

Post by SEW »

wildcatter wrote:2000 to 3000 over the 4, but if your only get'n about 200 shots on a serving, you either need to polish yer claws, or buy a better string,, 500 shots easy, off much higher draw weight bows.
I'm with you and Mike (Vixenmaster). Polished claws really helped. I sent 2 trigger tech triggers back to TT and asked them to reshape and polish like Boo does. They knew exactly what I was requesting and did so. I think it's the shape more than the polish as they were highly polished in the first place. I think Boo just has this stuff all well thought out. I have well over 1,000 shots on both Boo's and Vixenmaster's servings with 100s of hours cocked, out of the 380 & 405. Both modified TTs. So far, TT 400 doing the same.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

sproulman wrote:
on our micros even after polishing the claws we are not getting much over 100 shots on our servings ....this is with no lube on rails very little wax....it is claw wear area not wear from rail...
This was exactly my results with the gen 1 rail. The brace mark on the rail actually is the culprit. I went through 3 trigger assemblies and one latch that I polished to a heck of a sheen. Until I got the new rail nothing changed. Now I get 200 shots out of the gen 2 rail and an unpolished latches. Gonna swap to my old polished latch after season.
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters