Broadhead help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

davis131

Broadhead help

Post by davis131 »

I'm new to this crossbow thing but it puts a smile on my face everytime I shoot it..I've been a recurve guy my entire life (and still am),having a lifetime of traditional archery supplies around,I wanted to use The Wensel Woodsman 150gr.(since I have a bunch) for my 335 and 330 but I can't get consistent flight with them,they do OK with powerbolts but are horrible with 2219s..I Don't know whether to scrap the woodsmans an start over with something new.I would really like to stay with resharpenable broadheads..Has anyone had any luck with a 2 blade head such as Zephyr,Magnus' or Stos????
BrotherRon

Re: Broadhead help

Post by BrotherRon »

I'm sure one of the experts here will chime in and help you with this. I have found that the heavier my arrow combination is, the better results I get. I use 18" Zombies with 110 grain brass inserts and 125 grain target points or broad heads for best results with my 330. With the 310 I use 100 grain target points and broad heads.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
SEW

Post by SEW »

I couldn't get 145g Bear Super Razorheads to fly out of my M380,400,405 no matter what I did. 3 & 4 blade fixed blades do well but are very orientation dependent. They need indexed.
Years ago, I shot the PSE Foxfire, #125 and 150 with stock arrows(2219s I think) and the Bear Superrazorheads did great. Maybe it's the speed.
Be sure to have enough foc, for a large fixed blade you need good steering at the rear and at least 200-220g up front at least(insert plus point). You might need even more than that up front.
Try indexing the blades at 6 & 12.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use Magnus stingers 100-125-150 gr n they shoot well out of several of my slower Excal models. I knoewed limbs n Sticks shot them from his 405 decently
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
galamb

Post by galamb »

I made the same switch, recurve to crossbow, many years back when my shoulder just wouldn't take holding back the 51 lbs without any let-off :) The shoulder eventually got a little better but by then I was hooked on recurve crossbows...

I too had a bucket load of traditional heads, mostly Eskimo's (160 grain) which were my go to blade (although I did find Rage 40KE's to work well from the recurve and continue to shoot them on my one or two day nostalgia hunt days).

Anyhow, after much piddling around I could get them to group "ok" with a very light arrow (Easton C3's - 268 grains @ 20" fleched but no insert) with 100 or 110 grain inserts (which gave a total arrow weight of 527 to 537 grains with massive foc, but still found that they really planed on me if there was so much as a puff of breeze.

I chalk that up to the fact that even though I shoot a super slow Vix II, it's making double the speed of my recurve (270 fps vs 140'ish with the heavy arrows) and you just need more than two "edges" to keep it stable at that speed (at least that's my theory).
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
acreek

Post by acreek »

I shoot 150 grain Magnus 4 Blade Stingers out of my Bulldog 400. They fly around 368 fps with the stock Diablos and group an inch high. They also shoot great from a Micro 335 and also group an inch high. These are the same heads I shot from my recurves. I have not tried 100 or 125 grain Stingers though, just the 150s. I have no doubt the 150s will hit where I'm looking.
SEW

Post by SEW »

galamb wrote:I made the same switch, recurve to crossbow, many years back when my shoulder just wouldn't take holding back the 51 lbs without any let-off :) The shoulder eventually got a little better but by then I was hooked on recurve crossbows...

I too had a bucket load of traditional heads, mostly Eskimo's (160 grain) which were my go to blade (although I did find Rage 40KE's to work well from the recurve and continue to shoot them on my one or two day nostalgia hunt days).

and you just need more than two "edges" to keep it stable at that speed (at least that's my theory).
I think I could have written the same. I, too, have a few days of nostalgia, recurve hunting (52#) but am hooked on xbows, now exclusively Excal.
Really low profile, Expandibles have great flight profiles and less Xwind problems. The FOCs take a lot of power to make it thru. I'm contemplating 125 Schwackers and/or a 125g slightly wider Slick Trick. Maybe just staying with my 175g Xbow Tricks. Or FOCs still.
The game hunted and the energy, or maybe more important, the momentum at Impact greatly affects good broadhead choice. The value of consistent passthru's can't be over emphasized.
davis131

Post by davis131 »

Thanks guys,I guess I'm going to have to full around with them some more if I want to shoot them..I really don't want to adjust the scope just for a certain broad head and really I'm not sure I could with woodsman because they're too erratic..We're into the season now an I don't think now's the time to mess with them,I can get Steel force 150gr to fly well with 2219s and they make around a 475gr arrow which for deer hunting around here should be fine but I'm heading to TX in Feb. and this will be the first out of town trip for the Excal an I was looking for 575-600gr arrow for that,so I will have to full around with some different heads by then..
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

I shoot muzzys 3 blade 125 grain on carbon and get great groups