Going Grouse Hunting/Firearms Law discussion

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

To answer your question MC, I shoot with a Diana, made in germany, .177 cal., the spec's. say its 595 feet per second, but its really alot faster. That way you don't need a PAL to buy it, and doesn't have to be registered.

A friend of mind a few years back picked me up to go grouse hunting. When I jumped in his van with my pellet gun, he just about laughed. Well at the end of the day I had the lion's share of ruffled grouse.

Regular rifle scopes do not work on pellet guns. The kick or vibration is to hard on scopes, you need scopes designed for pellet guns. I myself don't have a scope on mine, and can hit a plastic bottle cap at 15 yards no problem.

You can hunt grouse with the pellet gun in close proximity to your deer hunting grounds and not scare them.

Grey Owl
MC AS GUEST

Post by MC AS GUEST »

i HAVE A DIANA AS WELL MODEL 20. BUT I THINK IT IS JUST BELOW 500 FPS. ANYTHING OVER THAT HAS TO BE REGISTERED. I ONCE USED A WEBLEY PELLET PISTOL BUT DID NOT KILL THEM EFFICIENTLY ENOUGH AND YOU WOULD HAVE TO TRACK THEM WHICH IN THE NORTHERN WOODS IS VERY DIFFICULT. DEFINETLY WILL NOT USE THAT AGAIN.

Post by Guest »

Now you got me thinking MC. My Diana is a Model 26. I thought it was 595 FPS, just under 600 so you don't have to register it, but it could be registered. When I bought the pellet gun, I also bought a Ruger 10/22, which could of all been lumped in with the PAL.

None the less, I've shot lots of grouse with it, tons of pigeons at the plant I work at, several crows at the very top of huge spruce trees, magpies, and even a few squirrels. You do have to watch the pellet doesn't hit the wing feathers, this slows down the velocity quite a bit. Close shots, 10-15 yards are the best.

Grey Owl
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

I just have to finish packing and I will be gone! :D I got the digi camera with me and will take pictures. Ill be home Sunday and give you the report!
-Richard-
gth

Post by gth »

A.W wrote:
RichardS wrote:"prohibited firearm" means

(b) a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,

(i) is less than 660 mm in length, or

(ii) is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,

You can cut it down as lond as it stays beyond the ceartin lenght.
If done by a certified gunsmith not yourself.
if it aint a factory part and over 18" she's prohibited.
the infamous guest...

Post by the infamous guest... »

GTH,
if you change the word over to under...you would be correct. If you leave it like it is you are terribly terrible WRONG :!: :evil: :twisted:
the infamous guest...

Post by the infamous guest... »

GTH,
if you change the word over to under...you would be correct. If you leave it like it is you are terribly terribly WRONG :!: :evil: :twisted:
gth

Post by gth »

Your right, just my wishful thinkg I guess.