Tree stand vs blind

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: Tree stand vs blind

Post by amythntr »

amythntr wrote:....I have been using a really good Gillie suit....cant remember the name...use the jacket and the hat part....deer have had no clue where I am...and I have yet to be winded....I do however dream of being comfortable up in a tree....I have tried just about everything....my latest iteration is a 'oleman Drone ($249 on eBay) which is no longer in production due to it's production costs. (Was $400 retail)....I like it and have been able to actually get this old body up a tree....ah the simple things in life :shock: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ExCal

Post by ExCal »

So opening day of bow season in Michigan, I paddled up river in my Kayak with my Excalibur Grizzily, in the pouring rain. Well I had brought my doghouse blind with at the last second, and man was I glad to have it. However I have still never shot a deer from the ground blind. Bought a Summit Viper last weekend, and went to the same spot up river and shot a big bodied 10 pt. 1st buck in 38 years. (Only been back in Michigan for 4)
"Archery does not get difficult or hard to understand until the arrow misses."

Milan E. Elott - Preface to "Why We Miss"

Excalibur Grizzly
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thats a beauty . Nice mass
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Very nice Buck, you done good brother! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I prefer a treestand, but have had good success from a ground blind. Like Joe says, brush it in early, and play the wind right. Gun hunting is the best in my opinion, or rainy days. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Hunted tripods for 30 years using vertical bow. Hurt my shoulder and bought an Excalibur, another and another and several others. Built me a box blind 5 years ago. Haven't hunted anything else since. Love being able to hunt in rainy weather, snowy and windy. Dress in black, shoot a micro nightmare, use a Mr Buddy Heater. Am I spoiled? You're darn right. Killed over Twenty deer from box at 20 yards or less. Having fun doesn't mean having to be stoic.
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Mister B wrote:Hunted tripods for 30 years using vertical bow. Hurt my shoulder and bought an Excalibur, another and another and several others. Built me a box blind 5 years ago. Haven't hunted anything else since. Love being able to hunt in rainy weather, snowy and windy. Dress in black, shoot a micro nightmare, use a Mr Buddy Heater. Am I spoiled? You're darn right. Killed over Twenty deer from box at 20 yards or less. Having fun doesn't mean having to be stoic.
.....and the congregation all stood up and in one voice sang out at the top of their voices, AMEN!" :wink: :lol:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

Mister B wrote:Hunted tripods for 30 years using vertical bow. Hurt my shoulder and bought an Excalibur, another and another and several others. Built me a box blind 5 years ago. Haven't hunted anything else since. Love being able to hunt in rainy weather, snowy and windy. Dress in black, shoot a micro nightmare, use a Mr Buddy Heater. Am I spoiled? You're darn right. Killed over Twenty deer from box at 20 yards or less. Having fun doesn't mean having to be stoic.
May I ask is your 'Box Blind' on or above ground? thanks
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

My father in law lived in Texas and had a box blind on the ground about 50 yards from his feeder. Easy chair with swivels. Little heater and a bottle of A&A. Like hunting from an apartment, very comfortable
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
wvnitroman

Post by wvnitroman »

I have always hunted from hang on type stands until last year when I bought my first ground blind so I could take my 7 yr old grandson hunting with me. I have fallen in love with a ground blind. The properties I hunt have all been timbered at some point and finding a "good" tree with some cover can be difficult, especially once the leaves have fallen off. My first blind was an inexpensive Ameristep and I just bought a new Barronett Pentagon which is much roomier than the Ameristep.
Square_hammer

Post by Square_hammer »

I hunt both groundblinds and tree stands. Shot all my turkeys out of ground blinds, my biggest to date I had my son with me. He was 7. But deer season I love my summit viper. I have been trying my ground blind in the mornings, I can't get to my favorites spot without walking the field edge and the deer feed in the field. But my favorite hunts are the long hours spent in my tree stand.

Here is my turkey from last year, with my son.
Matrix 330
Vortex diamondback 2-7
hha optimizer
8pntbuck string
16.5" zombies with 92gr insert
QAD exodus 125gn
G5 Striker 125gn