First HAA Optimizer outing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

First HAA Optimizer outing

Post by ThunderXB »

Just wanted to relay my experience using the Optimizer for the first time.

Since I bought my BD400 earlier this year, I had a HAA Optimizer on it.

I just never had the opportunity or right conditions to shoot it at 60 yds to apply the correct "dial up" tapes.

I'd just sighted it in up to 40 yds to date using the reticle markings in the Vortex XBR.

Today I finally had the combination of time and calm weather to use the Optimizer as intended.

Shooting off a bench rest, with my arrow set up (418 gr Zombies) the Optimizer guide said use the #28 setting to start.

So I turned the dial to there and hoped I'd see my arrow again :lol: .

First arrow, 1/2" from dead center. The next was 1/4" or so from there. The third arrow was about 1/2" over.

I've read here about all the good long distance groups being shot, but I have to say I was pretty impressed with a 3 shot 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" group at 60 yds.

I thought the BD400 was a "shooter" but the Optimizer system really worked well for me and showed me the Excal's potential.

Putting the #28 tape on and working my way back in from 60 yds I shot at various distances using the dial up now and it was pretty much on the entire way.

Can't wait to use it "for real" in the field.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
paulaboutform

Re: First HAA Optimizer outing

Post by paulaboutform »

I'm a huge fan of the Optimizer. I also use it on my M380 with my Vortex Viper XB-R as well. If you have a chance try it out to 100yards, you'll be amazed....and it's a lot of fun! :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

You're going to need to work on those groups! Agree now, that , as of yet, that the Zoptimizer/quality scope is still as good as it gets? However, the time will come that a dedicated xbow scope will have the required qualities to compete with an Optimizer/VX-R, Duralyt, etc. Maybe even this January .
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

SEW wrote:You're going to need to work on those groups! Agree now, that , as of yet, that the Zoptimizer/quality scope is still as good as it gets? However, the time will come that a dedicated xbow scope will have the required qualities to compete with an Optimizer/VX-R, Duralyt, etc. Maybe even this January .
Oooooo...will it have quality, lightweight, lighted optics with a turret to dial to 100y.

My only beefs with the HHA, (and I've mitigated one of them with a custom laminate stock with modular cheek pieces), is the jaw weld and the added height/weight of the unit.

Other than that, the HHA is an awesome tool. I don't like any of the dedicated crossbow scopes on the market, and the HHA allows for yard by yard accuracy with any scope your budget will allow.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

racking up points wrote:
SEW wrote:You're going to need to work on those groups! Agree now, that , as of yet, that the Zoptimizer/quality scope is still as good as it gets? However, the time will come that a dedicated xbow scope will have the required qualities to compete with an Optimizer/VX-R, Duralyt, etc. Maybe even this January .
Oooooo...will it have quality, lightweight, lighted optics with a turret to dial to 100y.

My only beefs with the HHA, (and I've mitigated one of them with a custom laminate stock with modular cheek pieces), is the jaw weld and the added height/weight of the unit.

Other than that, the HHA is an awesome tool. I don't like any of the dedicated crossbow scopes on the market, and the HHA allows for yard by yard accuracy with any scope your budget will allow.
X2 Derrick.
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Amazing bit of kit for 3d shooting.........
SEW

Post by SEW »

I don't have any specific information. I've been told by 2 very knowledgeable, individuals (insiders) that there'll be a pleasant surprise coming. I don't know any details. One rumor I tend to trust is that Hawke will likely come out with higher quality glass in one of their scopes. Another, is that another company is testing a high level, lighted reticle scope. Don't know any details. The time is ripe for both. I'd not count Hawke out.
mmc

Post by mmc »

SEW wrote:I don't have any specific information. I've been told by 2 very knowledgeable, individuals (insiders) that there'll be a pleasant surprise coming. I don't know any details. One rumor I tend to trust is that Hawke will likely come out with higher quality glass in one of their scopes. Another, is that another company is testing a high level, lighted reticle scope. Don't know any details. The time is ripe for both. I'd not count Hawke out.
THIS

The reason I have not spent any money on quality long range optics for my crossbow is there are no worthy choices to justify that purchase. NOT YET.

Each currently available solution is terribly lacking in some critically important way. My hopes are that the ATA show in January will change all that for me. I'm anxiously waiting with cash in hand for that "solution".
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

mmc wrote:
SEW wrote:I don't have any specific information. I've been told by 2 very knowledgeable, individuals (insiders) that there'll be a pleasant surprise coming. I don't know any details. One rumor I tend to trust is that Hawke will likely come out with higher quality glass in one of their scopes. Another, is that another company is testing a high level, lighted reticle scope. Don't know any details. The time is ripe for both. I'd not count Hawke out.
THIS

The reason I have not spent any money on quality long range optics for my crossbow is there are no worthy choices to justify that purchase. NOT YET.

Each currently available solution is terribly lacking in some critically important way. My hopes are that the ATA show in January will change all that for me. I'm anxiously waiting with cash in hand for that "solution".
The right solution would be hard for manufacturers to define. It's tough making a scope to please everyone.

Here is my solution - a VXR Crossbones with a reticle out to 70y. It would be speed adjustable in 2-7x but for only for bows shooting between 350fps and 420fps. It would also have custom elevation turrets for the arrow speed you shoot - like how you use different HHA tapes according to speed. It would have firedot illumination, a lifetime warranty and be extremely lightweight for the features it packs. :mrgreen:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

racking up points wrote:
mmc wrote:
THIS

The right solution would be hard for manufacturers to define. It's tough making a scope to please everyone.

Here is my solution - a VXR Crossbones with a reticle out to 70y. It would be speed adjustable in 2-7x but for only for bows shooting between 350fps and 420fps. It would also have custom elevation turrets for the arrow speed you shoot - like how you use different HHA tapes according to speed. It would have firedot illumination, a lifetime warranty and be extremely lightweight for the features it packs. :mrgreen:
Derrick, that would be awesome but if it would extend out to 100yards, or have the option of MOA style hash marks to extend out to 100yards, THEN they'd really be cookin with peanut oil! :mrgreen:

Paul
SEW

Post by SEW »

MMC,
I feel exactly the same way. My 400 & 405 each have an Optimizer/2-8 Duralyt lighted. Extremely good optics and dial-a-range to 100 yds. That's as good as it gets unless a better scope is obtained. The 2-7 & 3-9 L VX-Ris a lot of scope for the money. If the XB75 were a Conquest or even still a Terra with heavier duplex, 100 yd marks, and a Firefly reticle, it'd be close to ideal, IMO.
Hawke has good glass on their upper level scopes. Just a few changes to the SR PRO reticle and improved glass would put this scope well on top, IMO .
I'd rather have a dedicated Xbow scope than a dial-a-range for simplicity.