Dressing a deer question(s)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I never thought of that WW thats sounds pretty smart...I have put bags of ice in them...thats a good one too..

Thanks for the iedea WW :wink:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

icthus153 wrote:i forgot to tell ya in my post above that i am allergic to deer the way some folks are to dogs and cats . i found out as i was cleaning my first deer , my eyes started to swell shut and my arms felt like they were on fire. i can eat the meat but i cant get blood on me or rub my eyes after i touch the fur. crazy i know but i would rather itch than stop hunting

hehehe, I gotta use THAT one this year.... :wink: Hey buddy, will you field dress this for me? I'm allergic after all.... :wink:
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

hey on the lighter side of things..

my bro who has many years of hunting under his belt had facial last year that was pretty funny..

he had killed this buck and it was full of air well when he was unzippin him he slipped and cut into the gut bag..instantly he got sprayed and I mean sprayed he was spittin and hackin and gaggin....when he looked at me he had chewed cud all over his face...I about had a heart attack rollin on the ground I tease him all the time about how good he looks it musta been that facial he got last year :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RichardS

Post by RichardS »

:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great story Hoss!

Ill be sure to stand well back if Im lucky enough to get something this year!
-Richard-
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Hoss,

You just about made me spit soda all over my monitor.

That must have been a sight. Too bad you didn't have a camera handy.

I'll bet he is a lot more careful next time.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Newbi

Post by Newbi »

Get the skin off as soon as possible. This will do more to cool the meat than anything. I once saw an elk that was gutted and hung, but hide left on overnight. the temp was 15 degrees. a cotton bag was slung around the carcass. The next morning when the bag was removed, the carcass was still steaming in the cold air, and that was 9 hours later. It had already started to spoil. The hide will really hold the body heat.
Last edited by Newbi on Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QUANDO OMNI FLUNKUS MORITATI (When all else fails, Play dead)
Genesis 27:3
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Elk and pronghorn are really bad about spoiling.

The cooler you get them FAST the better.............
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
GREY OWL

Post by GREY OWL »

I'll agree with all of you. Goooooooood....... points.

Grey Owl
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I still get a kick outa that one woody......just imagine black specs of cud all over your bros face after slittin into the gut bag,and what was funny is the deers stomach made this loud farting noise im sure some of you guys have heard similiar noises when you get into them but man let me tell ya that was the funniest damn thang in a long time.....I asked him if he got any in his mouth and he said.." why do you think Im gaggin and spittin "..

he will never live that down....I wont let him..Ü

have a good day WW
icthus153

Post by icthus153 »

red label , i wish that i could say that my allergy was an excuse but man do i get messed up around deer , if the blood stays on me for more than a minute or two it makes welps like ive been stung by something. the only benefit i can see from my allergies is if i find a place where the deer are thick, my nose starts itchin' so i know i am in the right place. one more thing --- i tried to dump a fat does pile into a five gallon bucket and it did the same to me as hoss' buddy. projectile cud --- there were pieces of acorn in my hair it was not a pretty site. i was cold and my dad was squirting me with a hose in the yard. i dont know what was worse the cold water or him laughing and laughing
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

icthus153,

I am sure you are allergic, I don't doubt it for a minute. It's just a real good excuse for guys like me to get out of guttin' that's all! :wink:

It will be just like the guys who climb trees, hang stands, chop wood, etc., but suddenly get a bad back when the deer drag has to happen! :wink:
Sandman is lucky he provided evidence of a car wreck to prove his back excuse though. :wink: :lol: Without that proof I wouldn't buy his story!
icthus153

Post by icthus153 »

red label , a good way to get someone else to gut your deer is to appeal to their macho instincts . tell him that you can gut a deer in 3 minutes and 15 seconds and bet him 5 bucks he cant beat you. if you win, you win . if you lose hey you are out 5 bucks but your deer is gutted :wink:

Post by Guest »

Hi Dunrobin,

A couple of points for you that will make field dressing deer easier, less messy and more pleasurable....if that's possible!

******Forget the macheties and long bladed Rambo style knives*******

All you really need is a good sharp pocket knife, good strong twine and (possibly) Playtex rubber gloves.

First Step:

Whether it's a doe or buck I always start at the anus.
I start by skinning around the anus and then carve around seperating the intestine from the pelvic area.
Once i've carved away enough of the anus/intestine, i IMMEDIATELY tie
twine around the anul opening leaving about 18" twine.

Next step:

Before i make any cuts into the body cavity, i use the back of the knife and SCORE the hide from anus to sternum.
Doing this parts the deer hair (so, i'm not cutting hair) and leaves a beautiful line to follow while opening the body cavity.

Step 3:

With body cavity open, organs exposed and diaphram cut away, i reach up into the body cavity and cut the trachea/esophagus.

Step 4:

Remember that 18" of twine?????
I go back to the anus end and push the tag end of twine through the pelvis
area and up through the opened body cavity.

Step 5:

With trachea/esophagus in my left hand and twine in my right hand i simply pull and everything from throat to anus pulls out of opened body cavity.