Quill versus Zombie Slayer Metrics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ads1

Quill versus Zombie Slayer Metrics

Post by ads1 »

Since I am relative new to using crossbows I have been on a steep learning curve. When I bought an Excalibur Equinox a couple of years ago I used the arrows that came with the crossbow and whatever broad head was convenient. Then I purchased a Excalibur Micro 355 and am using the Quill arrow and a 150 gn broadhead. Both crossbows are extremely accurate out to 40 yds which is the longest distance I have shot.
Now after being on this forum I have been learning about FOC and it's impact on accuracy. Just for fun I had some Zombie Slayer arrows custom made by Jerry at South Shore Archery. 16.5 inches, 110 Gn Brass insert, Flat Aluminum nock, 2 inch Blazer Vane, Right Hand Helical Orientation, Vane Setback .75 inch.
The reason I did this was to be able to shoot a 100 gn mechanical broad head.
Will there be any difference in FOC for the Zombie Slayer with a 100 gn broad head and the Quill with 150 gn Broad Head?

I have calculated the metrics for both arrow combinations and thought it would be interesting to see what you thought. Really the proof in the system is how well the arrows group. Hope to test both systems next week. Happy hunting!
paulaboutform

Re: Quill versus Zombie Slayer Metrics

Post by paulaboutform »

You can figure out what the FOC is yourself. Use an object, like a round pen, to find your balance point. Mark it and measure from your nock to the balance point.
Here's your equation:
Center point - Balance point ÷ O.A.L. (total arrow length with point) × 100 = % FOC

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ads1

Post by ads1 »

paulaboutform wrote:You can figure out what the FOC is yourself. Use an object, like a round pen, to find your balance point. Mark it and measure from your nock to the balance point.
Here's your equation:
Center point - Balance point ÷ O.A.L. (total arrow length with point) × 100 = % FOC

Paul
Being new at this I am intrigued by all the interesting facets of the arrows and factors that influence their accuracy.

For the Quill arrow the center point was 11.75 inches and a 21.2% FOC.
For the Zombie Slayer the center point was also 11.75 inches and a 21.2% FOC.
The Quill had 150 gr. Broad head and Zombie Slayer had a 100 gr. broad head.

The Quill arrow with insert, nock, and vanes weighed 250 gr. and the equivalent weight of the Zombie Slayer was 300 gr., so total weight of both arrows was 400 gr. total weight. Interesting. The smart people on this forum figured this out! I am impressed. Thanks.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Without all the technical aspects .I can assure you them arrows wiill fly like darts with either a 100 or 125 grain mechanical and at 40 yards there will be very little difference with either weight .I have found the 125 grain to group a tad better at longer ranges.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

paulaboutform wrote:You can figure out what the FOC is yourself. Use an object, like a round pen, to find your balance point. Mark it and measure from your nock to the balance point.
Here's your equation:

Paul

great info paul thanks...
ihunt

Post by ihunt »

sproulman wrote:
Here's your equation:

Paul

great info paul thanks...
X2 thanks
Micro Camo 335
Zombie Slayers