Quality Control

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

Re: Quality Control

Post by BrotherRon »

Most strings need to be twisted counter clock wise to shorten....
unless the person that made is builds them differently.
I would contact the person that made it and ask them since you certainly don't want to twist it the wrong direction. ;)
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Glad you got everything worked out.
Welcome aboard, and I hope you enjoy your new crossbow. :)
You will find lots of helpful info from people on this site, and normally everyone is willing to help out in any way they can.... But people here do get a little hot under the collar when someone new comes on here and starts ripping on their favorite crossbow maker. ;)
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

I feel for you dude! At least its just the latches on your bow, and not the limbs or the rail. I went through three trigger assemblies one rail, one scope and one set of limbs in my 335, and for some reason blazer vanes now rub the bottom of the rail.

I like my excal, but would not feel good recommending one to anyone else. The customer service is great. My experience was positive, but very lengthy, especially after dropping 1K of hard earned funds. The customer service probably gets used way more than it should. It's a darn shame really.

Enjoy it now that things seem resolved.

Brian
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

GRUNDY wrote:I like my excal, but would not feel good recommending one to anyone else. The customer service is great. My experience was positive, but very lengthy, especially after dropping 1K of hard earned funds. The customer service probably gets used way more than it should. It's a darn shame really.

Enjoy it now that things seem resolved.

Brian
I recommend Excalibur to everyone interested in purchasing a crossbow.
Only problem I ever had was a scope issue and I had a new one 4 days after shipping mine. I would never consider another brand after shooting excalibur crossbows. I realize some have had issues, but I also realize that excalibur is pushing the limit with compact super fast bows to try and satisfy the fast growing group of people looking for small compact speed machines. I don't know of any other company that offers the extended warranty that excalibur does. Smaller is nice, but every inch you try to remove from a crossbow adds a lot more stress to the remaining parts - especially the limbs. ;)
mmc

Post by mmc »

No doubt about recommending an Excalibur crossbow to others, but not until the new rig has been thoroughly gone through and professionally corrected. Once the junk screws are tossed out and replaced with sufficient quality, once the proper fitting of the limbs, riser, rail and stock relationships are verified, once the trigger is reworked (or give up and replace with aftermarket), all of the Excals have potential to be great shooting crossbows.

This thread is about component quality and quality control of the product, not which brand of crossbow may be the best. Providing excuses for limb (and other) issues are irrelevant and cannot help anyone solve a problem.

It is true that Excals are shipped with several component quality and fit issues due to poor choices by the company. Those parts must be repaired, replaced or carefully massaged immediately (by the purchaser) before value matches expectations (and marketing hype), minimizes the odds that there may be recurring problems and maximizes its potential.

Now, everyone has a different level of acceptance for poor component hardware and sloppy component fit relationships on a very expensive product, the point being addressed here is that there are commonly accepted standards that all current Excalibur models, as shipped, do not meet.

The author of this thread (unclecrash) could have complained about a lot more than the trigger issue. GRUNDY has been very kind to the company and the product as well. I am not picking the company nor the product apart neither. I like the company because they have some great people standing behind the product. I like my M380 a lot now that I have invested a lot more money and many, many hours of my time into it to assemble it correctly. Had I purchased without the necessary skills, tools and knowledge to make it right though, I would still be a disgusted and insulted (and whining) bag holder.

I won't preach or cheerlead to prospective new Excalibur owners, I'll tell them the honest truth and I'll show them exactly what should be expected out of the box. I'll demonstrate the potentials buried within the product and let them decide if those added costs in time and money are worth it to them.

I'll also demonstrate that If he/she expects to compete on the range they had better roll up their sleeves and bust out the wallet because corrected and refined shooters are not for sale by any company.
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

unclecrash wrote:
mmc wrote:Nah, this isn't juviejoe cutting up Excal again. This person knew all about the warning sticker on the trigger housing. He isn't making any ridiculous claims neither. He came with a valid trigger complaint that we all know to be true. He could have unloaded a few other factual complaints pertaining to quality as well, but he didn't. He has my respect until he chooses to destroy it.

unclecrash welcome,

I haven't found in this thread whether you have solved the trigger problem or not. If not and you are in a hurry, Boo (http://www.boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html *Scroll down near bottom of page*) shows how to polish the trigger latches yourself, without taking the unit apart. If you choose to do that, be sure to use plenty of tape to protect the area you are working on from unwanted scratches and to seal the inside of the trigger box from sandpaper dust and metal filings.

If you want Excalibur to fix the trigger, call them up and they will take care of it promptly. You have the best people in the industry serving you at Excalibur. You have the best warranty in the industry as well. So, no need to worry about anything.

I know how you feel unclecrash, because I went through your trigger problem too, and found quite a few more issues with my 380. Even though I got a good deal (at that time, $865 delivered) on my 380 package, I was more than a bit pissed off too, because the closer I looked, the more I felt like I had made a bad decision. After considerable thought I realized that I had made a good decision in fact. Firstly, even though I was shooting the crappy Diablos that come with my package, the bow was very accurate and consistent, arrow for arrow, out to 60 yards with the stock scope. I felt that no matter what it eventually cost me it was going to be a great shooter. Secondly, I knew I could solve all the issues I had found myself (and I KNOW all other brands have their own quality issues and much worse!), and since I intended on a few improvements to the 380 anyway, I went to work.

Now, I found more issues as I disassembled, measured and studied my crossbow but, almost all (all but one so far, but I am testing a solution now) were easily corrected through work, having a great collection of tools and fixtures, choosing the best parts and using the proper materials (don't ask why I needed those). The only time I called customer support was for a developing limb issue and that was very, very quickly solved. Looking back on my purchases and experiences so far, I feel nothing but satisfaction. None of the other brands would have made it to this point with me, that is certain.

Things will look rough at first unclecrash, but with time I'm confident you'll be as pleased as any one of us are with our decision(s) to shoot Excalibur crossbows. If you have any more problems (or any questions) please share them. Some of us like to see bloody exit holes, so please share all of those too!
Thanks for the welcome I think I got her fixed , Shot the tack driver again today for about 12 shots, no signs of cutting yet. I also got a new sting sent up from Ohio I can take with me just in case. So far so good. Hey which way do you tighten a flemish sting it looks opposite to the stock sting? is it a clockwise twist compared to the stock string which is counterclockwise to tighten.

Looking IN from outside of limb tip turn string counterclockwise on strings..I learned the hard way i was looking from inside out ... :oops: :oops: :oops:
unclecrash

Post by unclecrash »

On the stock string thats how I do it counterclock wise . But for some reason the flemish I got if you go counterclockwise it seems to be unraveling , going to contact the builder.
janesy

Post by janesy »

mmc wrote:No doubt about recommending an Excalibur crossbow to others, but not until the new rig has been thoroughly gone through and professionally corrected. Once the junk screws are tossed out and replaced with sufficient quality, once the proper fitting of the limbs, riser, rail and stock relationships are verified, once the trigger is reworked (or give up and replace with aftermarket), all of the Excals have potential to be great shooting crossbows.

This thread is about component quality and quality control of the product, not which brand of crossbow may be the best. Providing excuses for limb (and other) issues are irrelevant and cannot help anyone solve a problem.

It is true that Excals are shipped with several component quality and fit issues due to poor choices by the company. Those parts must be repaired, replaced or carefully massaged immediately (by the purchaser) before value matches expectations (and marketing hype), minimizes the odds that there may be recurring problems and maximizes its potential.

Now, everyone has a different level of acceptance for poor component hardware and sloppy component fit relationships on a very expensive product, the point being addressed here is that there are commonly accepted standards that all current Excalibur models, as shipped, do not meet.

The author of this thread (unclecrash) could have complained about a lot more than the trigger issue. GRUNDY has been very kind to the company and the product as well. I am not picking the company nor the product apart neither. I like the company because they have some great people standing behind the product. I like my M380 a lot now that I have invested a lot more money and many, many hours of my time into it to assemble it correctly. Had I purchased without the necessary skills, tools and knowledge to make it right though, I would still be a disgusted and insulted (and whining) bag holder.

I won't preach or cheerlead to prospective new Excalibur owners, I'll tell them the honest truth and I'll show them exactly what should be expected out of the box. I'll demonstrate the potentials buried within the product and let them decide if those added costs in time and money are worth it to them.

I'll also demonstrate that If he/she expects to compete on the range they had better roll up their sleeves and bust out the wallet because corrected and refined shooters are not for sale by any company.
I have to be honest here as I have been reading your post with a growing negativity towards excalibur. This is an enthusiast forum, people on this site represent an incredibly small percentage of Excalibur crossbow owners worldwide. 99% of crossbow owners don't care how fast the actually shoot. Or off all 5 shots hit the same nickel.

In my area my immediate estimate of people I talk to on a daily basis who hunt with an Excalibur is probably 30. Most of these Excalibur's have been bought and sold and traded around town for as many years as there been available. And I can say with good coincidence that NONE of them have had issues.. Or if they have these issues, with the 5 shots a year most users take, these issues you advertise will never even show themselves.

Yes, there are certain things that could be better. But show me a product on the market anywhere in the world that doesn't have an enthusiast following that tears into them. Cars, trucks, guns, even my cell phone is side loaded LOL! I mean an off the shelf respectable Remington 700 is a grand. Then it needs a stock, a trigger and a bedding job... Or does it? It'll still shoot a deer dead right out of the box. A matrix trigger eats a serving in 40 shots? For both my bosses and my good friend, that's the rest of their life! No joke, that bow will go to their kids before the serving gets worn.

I'm not calling you out, don't get me wrong. :) Possitive and constructive conversation is a good thing.But if you have such a negative opinion on Excal's , why do you own one ?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
fratri

Post by fratri »

janesy wrote:
mmc wrote:No doubt about recommending an Excalibur crossbow to others, but not until the new rig has been thoroughly gone through and professionally corrected. Once the junk screws are tossed out and replaced with sufficient quality, once the proper fitting of the limbs, riser, rail and stock relationships are verified, once the trigger is reworked (or give up and replace with aftermarket), all of the Excals have potential to be great shooting crossbows.

I have to be honest here as I have been reading your post with a growing negativity towards excalibur. This is an enthusiast forum, people on this site represent an incredibly small percentage of Excalibur crossbow owners worldwide. 99% of crossbow owners don't care how fast the actually shoot. Or off all 5 shots hit the same nickel.

In my area my immediate estimate of people I talk to on a daily basis who hunt with an Excalibur is probably 30. Most of these Excalibur's have been bought and sold and traded around town for as many years as there been available. And I can say with good coincidence that NONE of them have had issues.. Or if they have these issues, with the 5 shots a year most users take, these issues you advertise will never even show themselves.

Yes, there are certain things that could be better. But show me a product on the market anywhere in the world that doesn't have an enthusiast following that tears into them. Cars, trucks, guns, even my cell phone is side loaded LOL! I mean an off the shelf respectable Remington 700 is a grand. Then it needs a stock, a trigger and a bedding job... Or does it? It'll still shoot a deer dead right out of the box. A matrix trigger eats a serving in 40 shots? For both my bosses and my good friend, that's the rest of their life! No joke, that bow will go to their kids before the serving gets worn.

I'm not calling you out, don't get me wrong. :) Possitive and constructive conversation is a good thing.But if you have such a negative opinion on Excal's , why do you own one ?
Because they were bullet proof....but it doesn't look like their latest models are as bullet proof.
I bought my 1st Excalibur in the mid-late 80's.... I always believed they were the best, simple yet very reliable, durable and Canadian made by a great guy..... but somewhere, somehow, something has changed....
Yes their customer service is the best I have ever experienced but that doesn't change the fact that todays excal bows lack what his (Bills) first bows where.................. and that was undeniable reliability.
One of the biggest selling points with the older model bows was the only thing you had to worry about was carrying an extra string with you on a hunt, now I hear many say carry extra limbs? Something wrong with that picture. I can't imagine the original owner (Bill) of excal finding peace with this either.
"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
mmc

Post by mmc »

No problem janesy, any negativity you may be feeling belongs to you.

I have to be honest too and it appears that is not appropriate for you. I am sorry you feel threatened.

I suggest that you avoid all my posts in the future, as you seem to have already passed your judgement down upon me.
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
janesy

Post by janesy »

mmc wrote:No problem janesy, any negativity you may be feeling belongs to you.

I have to be honest too and it appears that is not appropriate for you. I am sorry you feel threatened.

I suggest that you avoid all my posts in the future, as you seem to have already passed your judgement down upon me.

No worries here dude. It's just as simple as you make it out to be... If I don't like something, I don't buy it. Guess you missed the part about constructive conversation, and a smilie face LOL.
Enjoy your bow, and good luck on your quest. :roll:
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

I'm going to use a couple of those!
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme