Quality Control

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

unclecrash

Quality Control

Post by unclecrash »

Please Xcalibur in the future could you please not let this crap get by quality control . We are paying you good damn money as much as a gun. But the guns seem to shoot. Your 335 micro should NOT be going out the door with these trigger latches NOT polished. I figured I would buy one knowing that it is high performancre and it might not get 60 or so shots on a serving so I figured heck if I get it here by hunting season take it out back dial it in even at 20 to 30 shoots im assuming I will still have enough serving left to go hunt!!! NOT I was lucky if the darn thing didnt break the serving by 20th shot. It really is a shame that these are getting to market like this. Problem is the casting marks right on the fricken tips which are really a pain in the rear to polish on the bow period. proper way is to do itbefore yes Isay BEFORE you build the trigger assembly.. Oh andf another thing . I Really dont like your sneaky ass sticker on the front ofthe trigger assembly . Which states that if you remove the sticker warranty is void what a crock of crap!!! At least dont be sneaky and USE BLACK INK ON THE CLEAR STICKER use White so use blind people can see it Yes Im Yellinmg as IM PISSED OFF . But on a second note my bow is shooting again 12 shots so far withouta tore serving . After the second polish I finally got it. I onlty had so .020 to serve it with the first time I got 2 shots through it. Ther third serving I got 3 shots then I repolished the tips and walla Im at 12 shots and it got dark without a sign of wear. This all coould be avoided and have a happy customer if you simply took 2 minutes to polish that one part!!!! Thanks for a head ache Dave
Last edited by unclecrash on Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vixenmaster

Re: Quality Control

Post by vixenmaster »

So other than the Factory trigger claws needin a good solid polishin. How do you like the Excal Recurve ?
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Nice 3rd post..
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Take 2 aspirin with an iced tea to cool you down and relieve your headache...
I had no problem reading that sticker, and I am almost 60 and wear bifocals.
Why would you want to open the trigger housing anyway since it has nothing to do with polishing your latches? The higher poundage on the smaller bows puts a lot of stress on the servings. If you contacted excalibur before blowing up I am sure they would have sent you a new string and offered to help you out with your problem since they do have the best warranty in the business.... every manufacturer has lemons sneak through.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
unclecrash

Post by unclecrash »

vixenmaster wrote:So other than the Factory trigger claws needin a good solid polishin. How do you like the Excal Recurve ?
Ha ha dont get me wrong after all the BS that should be done from factory it's a tack driver, a bit loud but have not added any silencers . Third shot off my knee at 40 was a bullseye. Going to be fun when I finally get to the woods.

Post by newbie »

Congrats on the great bow!
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
unclecrash

Post by unclecrash »

BrotherRon wrote:Take 2 aspirin with an iced tea to cool you down and relieve your headache...
Why would you want to open the trigger housing anyway since it has nothing to do with polishing your latches? The higher poundage on the smaller bows puts a lot of stress on the servings. If you contacted excalibur before blowing up I am sure they would have sent you a new string and offered to help you out with your problem since they do have the best warranty in the business.... every manufacturer has lemons sneak through.
Ya well black on black is damn sneaky and believ me when I tell you a dremel and some some polishing compound with the part in Hand after the 2000 and it is way easier and mirror polished all the way over the tips in my opinion is the proper way to do it , and yes BEFORE it is assembled. Dude I did this in a hurry wasnt planning on having to ship it back wasting my money on return shipping and stuff I was simply trying to get in the woods after a ten year layoff after cancer I simply got the bug Im sure you can understand that. bow season is open . And I was broke down with a 800 dollar bow which from a company with a rep like Xcalibur Thats the whole reason I went with them as I figured a had half a chance at getting in the woods a couple days into the season. WITHOUT having to return it and blow my season possibly to get it back off season set it in the closet and never hunt again as my health aint great to begin with.
unclecrash

Post by unclecrash »

Ya ya I wish I had a pair of glasses needed bad . I just broke my my magnifiers a week ago so having trouble till I get some.
Arrowflinger

Post by Arrowflinger »

Joe must be bored
Matrix 350 LE 18 in. Diablos 150 gr. Boltcutters Zombie Slayers 150 gr. Slick Tricks C2 crank Hawkke XB 30 Pro SR
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Arrowflinger wrote:Joe must be bored

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mmc

Post by mmc »

Nah, this isn't juviejoe cutting up Excal again. This person knew all about the warning sticker on the trigger housing. He isn't making any ridiculous claims neither. He came with a valid trigger complaint that we all know to be true. He could have unloaded a few other factual complaints pertaining to quality as well, but he didn't. He has my respect until he chooses to destroy it.

unclecrash welcome,

I haven't found in this thread whether you have solved the trigger problem or not. If not and you are in a hurry, Boo (http://www.boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html *Scroll down near bottom of page*) shows how to polish the trigger latches yourself, without taking the unit apart. If you choose to do that, be sure to use plenty of tape to protect the area you are working on from unwanted scratches and to seal the inside of the trigger box from sandpaper dust and metal filings.

If you want Excalibur to fix the trigger, call them up and they will take care of it promptly. You have the best people in the industry serving you at Excalibur. You have the best warranty in the industry as well. So, no need to worry about anything.

I know how you feel unclecrash, because I went through your trigger problem too, and found quite a few more issues with my 380. Even though I got a good deal (at that time, $865 delivered) on my 380 package, I was more than a bit pissed off too, because the closer I looked, the more I felt like I had made a bad decision. After considerable thought I realized that I had made a good decision in fact. Firstly, even though I was shooting the crappy Diablos that come with my package, the bow was very accurate and consistent, arrow for arrow, out to 60 yards with the stock scope. I felt that no matter what it eventually cost me it was going to be a great shooter. Secondly, I knew I could solve all the issues I had found myself (and I KNOW all other brands have their own quality issues and much worse!), and since I intended on a few improvements to the 380 anyway, I went to work.

Now, I found more issues as I disassembled, measured and studied my crossbow but, almost all (all but one so far, but I am testing a solution now) were easily corrected through work, having a great collection of tools and fixtures, choosing the best parts and using the proper materials (don't ask why I needed those). The only time I called customer support was for a developing limb issue and that was very, very quickly solved. Looking back on my purchases and experiences so far, I feel nothing but satisfaction. None of the other brands would have made it to this point with me, that is certain.

Things will look rough at first unclecrash, but with time I'm confident you'll be as pleased as any one of us are with our decision(s) to shoot Excalibur crossbows. If you have any more problems (or any questions) please share them. Some of us like to see bloody exit holes, so please share all of those too!
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range
jefrohio

Post by jefrohio »

Someone from the factory addressed this issue before. I believe they said that the time spent in the Tumblr-viberator was extended. Maybe they need to use a smaller-finer abrasive /media. The Trigger claw is a casting I believe. And when they come out of the mold they have small imperfections, bumps and sharp edges called flashing. Some of these are not obvious to the naked eye, you may need a magnifying glass or jewelers glass to see them but they're there nonetheless. Out of my five triggers they've all had some, even the trigger tech.
The problem seems magnified on the higher poundage matrix and micro bows. In Excaliburs defense when they were acquired by a larger company they may have had so called efficiency experts come through implementing lean manufacturing eliminating all nonessential tasks to increase production-profits. It is what it is I guess. There should be a sticky on this forurm addressing this issue, and with all tips and modifications the creative members of this forum have come up with over the years to enhance these great crossbows. Jefro
Matrimax
Ibex
Camx
Max point
Grizzly
Cub
unclecrash

Post by unclecrash »

mmc wrote:Nah, this isn't juviejoe cutting up Excal again. This person knew all about the warning sticker on the trigger housing. He isn't making any ridiculous claims neither. He came with a valid trigger complaint that we all know to be true. He could have unloaded a few other factual complaints pertaining to quality as well, but he didn't. He has my respect until he chooses to destroy it.

unclecrash welcome,

I haven't found in this thread whether you have solved the trigger problem or not. If not and you are in a hurry, Boo (http://www.boocustomstrings.com/importantstuff.html *Scroll down near bottom of page*) shows how to polish the trigger latches yourself, without taking the unit apart. If you choose to do that, be sure to use plenty of tape to protect the area you are working on from unwanted scratches and to seal the inside of the trigger box from sandpaper dust and metal filings.

If you want Excalibur to fix the trigger, call them up and they will take care of it promptly. You have the best people in the industry serving you at Excalibur. You have the best warranty in the industry as well. So, no need to worry about anything.

I know how you feel unclecrash, because I went through your trigger problem too, and found quite a few more issues with my 380. Even though I got a good deal (at that time, $865 delivered) on my 380 package, I was more than a bit pissed off too, because the closer I looked, the more I felt like I had made a bad decision. After considerable thought I realized that I had made a good decision in fact. Firstly, even though I was shooting the crappy Diablos that come with my package, the bow was very accurate and consistent, arrow for arrow, out to 60 yards with the stock scope. I felt that no matter what it eventually cost me it was going to be a great shooter. Secondly, I knew I could solve all the issues I had found myself (and I KNOW all other brands have their own quality issues and much worse!), and since I intended on a few improvements to the 380 anyway, I went to work.

Now, I found more issues as I disassembled, measured and studied my crossbow but, almost all (all but one so far, but I am testing a solution now) were easily corrected through work, having a great collection of tools and fixtures, choosing the best parts and using the proper materials (don't ask why I needed those). The only time I called customer support was for a developing limb issue and that was very, very quickly solved. Looking back on my purchases and experiences so far, I feel nothing but satisfaction. None of the other brands would have made it to this point with me, that is certain.

Things will look rough at first unclecrash, but with time I'm confident you'll be as pleased as any one of us are with our decision(s) to shoot Excalibur crossbows. If you have any more problems (or any questions) please share them. Some of us like to see bloody exit holes, so please share all of those too!
Thanks for the welcome I think I got her fixed , Shot the tack driver again today for about 12 shots, no signs of cutting yet. I also got a new sting sent up from Ohio I can take with me just in case. So far so good. Hey which way do you tighten a flemish sting it looks opposite to the stock sting? is it a clockwise twist compared to the stock string which is counterclockwise to tighten.
unclecrash

Post by unclecrash »

jefrohio wrote:Someone from the factory addressed this issue before. I believe they said that the time spent in the Tumblr-viberator was extended. Maybe they need to use a smaller-finer abrasive /media. The Trigger claw is a casting I believe. And when they come out of the mold they have small imperfections, bumps and sharp edges called flashing. Some of these are not obvious to the naked eye, you may need a magnifying glass or jewelers glass to see them but they're there nonetheless. Out of my five triggers they've all had some, even the trigger tech.
The problem seems magnified on the higher poundage matrix and micro bows. In Excaliburs defense when they were acquired by a larger company they may have had so called efficiency experts come through implementing lean manufacturing eliminating all nonessential tasks to increase production-profits. It is what it is I guess. There should be a sticky on this forurm addressing this issue, and with all tips and modifications the creative members of this forum have come up with over the years to enhance these great crossbows. Jefro
I think your correct on it being a casting the first time I polished I polished more on the sides then on the tips and it was still cutting the serving . Right on the tips is where when i hit it a second time is where I concentrated my polishing and it did it. I could feel a casting mark right on the very tips where its hard to get.
mmc

Post by mmc »

Put additional twists in the string to shorten it (raise brace height), take out twists (lower brace height) to lengthen it. If your model has stock REDS or Danny Miller bumpers, the string should be 3/16" to 1/4" off the bumpers for proper brace height. A new string will stretch a lot at first, so you'll have to adjust brace height often until it settles down.

Glad you got it going, have fun with it!
Current interest: VPA non-vented 125gr, 150gr, 175gr broadhead flight for long range