Crossbow scopes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Patcon

Crossbow scopes

Post by Patcon »

I have done a bunch of reading and looking at other threads here on the forum. So I have a question that hasn't presented an obvious answer to me. The Excalibur factory scopes, the Hawke scopes and the discontinued Vortex scope all have yardage drop points marked in the reticle and adjustable for speed. Are the other scopes people are using marked? It sounds like some people are using rifle or shotgun scopes. If you use a rifle scope how do you make longer shots? or do you?
I am unlikely to have a shot inside 30yrds even if I move my stands for next season. The "Dead Zone" I have now will need to be upgraded next year for a brighter, illuminated scope. After the discussion in some other threads about a potential new scope to consider after the new year I will wait to see what comes available. I like having the impact points for different yardages. I was just trying to figure out if I was missing something or whether there were other scopes I haven't been considering...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
LongCarbine

Re: Crossbow scopes

Post by LongCarbine »

I just put a 1.75 x 6 power with a turkey plex ( circle with cross hair) I zeroed the cross hair at 30 yards and adjusted the power setting or speed ring ,it's the same thing. So the top of the circle was at 20 yards and bottom was at 40 yards. I think most vari power rifle scopes with heavy plex circles or even mill dots could be used.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
janesy

Post by janesy »

I zero my scopes the same as my rifle's scopes. Using center cross hairs only . In fact I sent my coyote scopes all back to Burris and had the mildot reticle all swapped for fine Plex reticles years ago.

I find the chevrons and different aiming points to be too much to want to think about in the split seconds you have. As well, the chevrons are only good if you know the yardage.

If you won't be shooting under 30 yards, why not zero for where you WILL be shooting.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

So if I understand right, the turkey scope will limit you to 40 yards max...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You will find maybe 3-4 crossbow scopes that have yardage in the reticle as yer askin. Hawke n Excals Tact maybe the only real crossbow compact scopes Ill. that are avaiable. The rest are rifle scopes they have thrown out there fer ppl. to buy
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

I have multiple distances at which I could shoot deer. If they come out under the stand they could be very close. The food plot to the right is 20-40 yards depending. One trail is 40 yards, the feeder is 50 yards, the trail behind the feeder is 60 yards. I have a number of trees marked with yardages that I lasered from my stand.
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Thanks Vixenmaster

Just wanted to be sure I hadn't overlooked something else...
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
Normous

Post by Normous »

Have you maybe considered the HHA Optimizer?

http://www.hhasports.com/pages/crossbow/
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Patcon

Post by Patcon »

Thanks Normous for the link,
So the Optimizer adjusts the elevation on the rear of the scope to give you dial and click shooting. That's pretty cool. It's not real cheap but it would evidently allow the use of any scope.
On a similar note it seems like people use low power fairly small Obj lens scopes on their crossbows. Is there a functional reason for this? I tend to prefer a more magnified view if I have time. It seems like an HHA would let me mount something with a lot of light gathering ability, Ill. reticle and true variable power, correct?
Charles
Excalibur Grizzly
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have a Leupold crossbones which I like alot for it's clairty and optics... then I have two Hawke 1x5 XB30 PRO scopes.... they are not cheap but the glass is very good and they have etched recticles out to 60 yards and additional marked yardages clear out to 100 yards but those 70 and beyond are not illuminated.....

I have never tried the cheaper XB1 ... they may be good also and for a substancial amount less... maybe someone who has one will chime in....

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have a Redfield Revenge on my 355 Matrix that is the best scope i have ever used on my crossbows. Great in the dim light, durable as a dump truck, and Zero adjustments in 3 years! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Normous

Post by Normous »

In the past crossbow scopes were known to be on the inexpensive side and costs were kept down with low power and smaller objectives and lower grade glass.

To me, I see a perfect long range setup using the HHA paired with a Leupold VXR Firedot reticle, a lighted reticle that I am very fond of.

A few members here use that combo successfully.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
janesy

Post by janesy »

Patcon wrote:I have multiple distances at which I could shoot deer. If they come out under the stand they could be very close. The food plot to the right is 20-40 yards depending. One trail is 40 yards, the feeder is 50 yards, the trail behind the feeder is 60 yards. I have a number of trees marked with yardages that I lasered from my stand.

Ya that make good sense. Two ways to look at it, one would be to use the chevrons. Which in your case if the deer will be spending any amount of time at each location, it's pretty straight forward.
The other option would be to utilize a rifle reticle and zero for 40 yards. You would need to test a lot to ensure you are comfortable with the rise at 30 and the drop at 50. Shooter will also utilize the markings within the reticle itself(same as the chevrons in actuality really). However this method certainly require a lot more practice shooting.

I use a Nikon bolt, however I'll admit it's new to me. But I don't use the holdover points, I have it zero's at 27 yards . As a long shot for me will be 35 yards
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

Lol, I think what I'm trying to say is that shooting with a rifle reticle is exactly the same as shooting a rifle with a scope more than 10 years old. Before all these fancy reticles became so popular. Yes there were always mildot... Just nobody new what the hell it was .
You just have to practice a lot and know where your arrow or bullet is going to land for your setup.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Patcon wrote:So if I understand right, the turkey scope will limit you to 40 yards max...

No not really , I could make it 30-40-50 or any odd combo. Whatever your scope will let you do . Sight in your crosshair to any distance and if you have any other marks above or below just adjust your power ring to any distant you want . Within the scopes adjustments. As far as your other post when you say 60 yards that's getting to be a long poke at a white-tail.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330