2 ?? Rinehart 18-1 and Boltcutters

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grizzly72

2 ?? Rinehart 18-1 and Boltcutters

Post by grizzly72 »

Hi All, Hope your season is going well. I have a micro 335 and just bought a Rinehart 18-1 to shoot broadheads into. I am shooting spinal tapps from Jerry at south shore. They where made so I could shoot the 150 grain boltcutters. I have been using them for years and liked them. This morning I got up early to shoot them into the Rinehart, I am getting no consistency at all.I was shooting at 25 yards. I have my Rinehart set up alongside my field tip target. I would shoot with fieldtips and easily bullseye after bullseye, then put on a broadhead and it may be 6 inches low or six inches high. I am not sure what to do. I have never had a problem with them.

The next problem is the Rinehart target. I mean super hard to get the bolt out of it. I literally have to hold it down with my knee and give it all my strength to move it and sometimes I cant. Even shooting it with a fieldtip is the same to get out, Dam near impossible.

Thanks for any help.
hankenhunter

Re: 2 ?? Rinehart 18-1 and Boltcutters

Post by hankenhunter »

You will have one handed removal after you remove the graphics with acetone and a clean rag. Boltcutters and field points dont fly the same. You have to sight in with the broadhead. Happy shootin,
Hank
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

well i'm gonna go get some acetone and try that.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

You can also put a little arrow lube on the first inch or so to help!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

Went and got some acetone and cleaned the arrow, Seemed to help but dam its a bugger. I tried some bar soap and that didn't seem to do anything but make the arrow go in deeper.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As you know, the boltcutters are deadly accurate. A couple questions for you, did you spin your arrows with the boltcutters on? Especially if they've been used, they may be out of square which would account for erratic flight. Second, did you check your brace height? If you've got a limb that's going your brace height will be out. Your field points will seem fine but your fixed broadheads will tell the whole story. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
janesy

Post by janesy »

Field point into a Rinehart is going to be next to impossible to get out sometimes.
The trick to getting a broad head out is the pull out at the same angle that the arrow went in, and using an extinguisher or rubber glove, give it a good swift jerk and then a steady pull and it will come back out. Trying to pull out at an angle is going to be much harder
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I have 5 Rinehart targets, and the older ones (5-6 years old) are softer and easier for bolt removal. The last two I've bought were blems, and bolt removal is pretty tough without firmly holding it down.
My guess is they changed the foam formula, and if that's the case, I don't like it.
stoneycreekhunter

Post by stoneycreekhunter »

I use dish soap on my arrows. No issues pulling it out
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

paulaboutform wrote:As you know, the boltcutters are deadly accurate. A couple questions for you, did you spin your arrows with the boltcutters on? Especially if they've been used, they may be out of square which would account for erratic flight. Second, did you check your brace height? If you've got a limb that's going your brace height will be out. Your field points will seem fine but your fixed broadheads will tell the whole story. :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yea I been using the boltcutters for 10 years and have always been happy with them. I don't know what you mean by spinning them? Can you explain how to do that? Brace height is the same as it always is. same exact spot. I keep it just barely behind the line on the rail of the micro.

I'm gonna be away for work until Wednesday evening so I will check back on here when I get home to keep troubleshooting.

Thanks
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

grizzly72 wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:As you know, the boltcutters are deadly accurate. A couple questions for you, did you spin your arrows with the boltcutters on? Especially if they've been used, they may be out of square which would account for erratic flight. Second, did you check your brace height? If you've got a limb that's going your brace height will be out. Your field points will seem fine but your fixed broadheads will tell the whole story. :wink:

Paul

Hi Paul,

Yea I been using the boltcutters for 10 years and have always been happy with them. I don't know what you mean by spinning them? Can you explain how to do that? Brace height is the same as it always is. same exact spot. I keep it just barely behind the line on the rail of the micro.

I'm gonna be away for work until Wednesday evening so I will check back on here when I get home to keep troubleshooting.

Thanks
Are your broadheads new? In other words, have you shot them into targets or animals and re-sharpened them? The ferrul of the broadheads may be compromised.
Google search 'arrow spinner'. There are many home style ones but they're inexpensive and work great. You lay your arrow on it and spin the arrow to see if it's turning true. Is your string the same distance from each bumper? This will tell if your limb tiller is equal. Finally, order yourself a set of Danny Miller plier pullers. They'll make pulling your arrows out of any target easy peasy.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

Im with Paul, erratic flight due to tiller won't show up with field points.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

newbie wrote:Im with Paul, erratic flight due to tiller won't show up with field points.
Ill double check that next week but I am pretty sure its good.
grizzly72

Post by grizzly72 »

paulaboutform wrote:
grizzly72 wrote:

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks
Are your broadheads new? In other words, have you shot them into targets or animals and re-sharpened them? The ferrul of the broadheads may be compromised.
Google search 'arrow spinner'. There are many home style ones but they're inexpensive and work great. You lay your arrow on it and spin the arrow to see if it's turning true. Is your string the same distance from each bumper? This will tell if your limb tiller is equal. Finally, order yourself a set of Danny Miller plier pullers. They'll make pulling your arrows out of any target easy peasy.

Paul
Gotcha on the spinner, I'm gonna make one and check them. I was shooting my target broadheads that have been shot into targets before. I also tried some brand new ones. I seems to get better accuracy when I did one think.. When you load the crossbow by sliding the arrow down the rail. I made sure to twist the arrow so that the 2 fletchings where barely touching the top. Kinda hard to explain on a computer. I am not sure if that was affecting my accuracy or not. I had one arrow that I shot and it would shoot 6 inches low at 25 yards !!! When I made sure the fletching where not touching anything it flew true. I believe my flecthins are sk300.

Anyways I will get back with you guys later next week. I appreciate all the feedback and help. Thanks
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

To get field points out of your Rineheart, I found that by using a pair of Danny Miller pliers, I give the arrow a tiny twist before pulling, and that break the hold the foam has on the arrow and it comes out fairly easy.

As already mentioned, it seems it's a hit and miss if your Rineheart will have harder or softer foam, I bought mine about 3-4 years ago, and I have no problems pulling my arrows out, but some seem to have a tough time.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone